Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

rippy444

Familiar Face
shaving soap

I just do what my dad did. He used old spice shaving soap in a coffee mug and so do I. I leave the brush and all under the lav cabinet. One on my sons has the same process. Works for me.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: Just takes time and practice. By the time you are 65 you'll have the hang of it. Get the brush nice and hot and go at it. RIP Thanks for the remberance. I did switch to Williams Shaving Soap along the line. Good soap. While I was in the hospital they gave me a super smooth shaving cream to use. The best I've ever used. Sorry I can't remember the name.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Being a Michigander, I of course use Williams Shaving soap, simply leaving the round cake in the bottom of the shaving mug.

Our family has fond memories of the adminsitration of Governor G. Mennen (Soapy) Williams.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
Being a Michigander, I of course use Williams Shaving soap, simply leaving the round cake in the bottom of the shaving mug.

Our family has fond memories of the adminsitration of Governor G. Mennen (Soapy) Williams.

So any problems with the soap getting "slimy" like bar soap does in a soap dish?

rippy444

Familiar Face
rippy444 said:
I just do what my dad did. He used old spice shaving soap in a coffee mug and so do I. I leave the brush and all under the lav cabinet. One on my sons has the same process. Works for me.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: Just takes time and practice. By the time you are 65 you'll have the hang of it. Get the brush nice and hot and go at it. RIP Thanks for the remberance. I did switch to Williams Shaving Soap along the line. Good soap. While I was in the hospital they gave me a super smooth shaving cream to use. The best I've ever used. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Every thing takes longer than you think:eek: :eek: :eek:

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I'm primarily a cream user as well. Taylors of Old Bond Street as mentioned, Crabtree & Evelyn, Proraso, Fraser's(from Canada) all are in my rotation. I achieve a much better lather with creams, I've found.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I shave with this stuff:

ss-pro-002.jpg

Proraso shaving-soap. Does a very good job.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Honda Enoch said:
So any problems with the soap getting "slimy" like bar soap does in a soap dish?

No. Just rinse the suds out of the mug, pour out the water, and the soap will be dry and ready to use in a jiffy. Remember to rinse out you shaving brush, and set it on it's heel when it is not in use. A properly dried quality brush has an almost unlimited life. I'm still using the Ever-Ready rubber-set brush that I bought when I was at College, some thirty years ago.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I have been using Proraso (the tube kind) for ages, but recently my wife bought me some Crabtree & Evelyn soap. Came in a wooden bowl. Overall I prefer the Proraso, but the convenience of the Crabtree makes it great when I'm in a hurry.

im_1.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Housekeeping

Merging this into the GIANT shaving supplies thread and the whole business off the general Attire And Acouter... acoutre... er... stuff. :)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I use Haslinger soaps, from Austria. They come in 60g pucks that fit in shaving bowl. They come in several different scents. I use sage, and sandalwood, this time of year, and switch to aloe in the winter.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
dont git me started here...........

When I started learning how to shave "properly"
and like all things I enjoy, I tend(ed) to obsess about them.........
So, in 3.5 years time, I have bought and sold, bartered and badgered (heheheh) for more shavery than I will probably use in this lifetime.

Suffice it to say that after ALL my research, I have to conclude the absolute BEST soaps for me are the tallow - based creations.
Soaps that are quickly going by the wayside.
If you can find a tallow soap today, buy it while you can.
They do not disappoint.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
AtlanticSteelCorpBlades.jpg

Not these anymore! I found these at a barn sale, and they appear to be NOS from the 1950s or 1960s. After hearing how great razor blades used to be, I picked them up.

Despite the cheerful “Good Morning! Enjoy your shave!” on both packaging and blades, they’re nothing more than box cutters, and almost turned me off from using the DE Gillette I’d purchased at the same sale. Thankfully, purchasing a package of different blades at the drug store convinced me to stick with the DE.

Now I go back and forth between the Gillette and my GEM Micromatic.

-Dave

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
No. Just rinse the suds out of the mug, pour out the water, and the soap will be dry and ready to use in a jiffy. Remember to rinse out you shaving brush, and set it on it's heel when it is not in use. A properly dried quality brush has an almost unlimited life. I'm still using the Ever-Ready rubber-set brush that I bought when I was at College, some thirty years ago.

Yes I am in the market for a good brush, the el-cheap-o brush that came with this kit (from Wal-Mart) is already losing it's bristles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn