Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'm curious as to why some of you are choosing a single-edge instead of a double-edge. I considered making that same choice, back when I was still using Trac-IIs, due to my perception that single-edged blades would be easier to obtain and safer to dispose of. Double-edged blades last twice as long though, and both kinds require care when discarding. I drop my used D.E. blades in a 'blade bank' that I made out of a tomato soup can. When I'm away from home, I re-wrap the used blade and save it for the blade bank.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
OK - I am convinced to embark on trying a single edge blade shave and have read the advice on Merkur 23C , vs Futur - can anyone explain the reason for the fringed effect on the 23 vs the smooth face on the Futur?

I didn't look up the Futur, but the Merkur 23C appears to be a double-edge razor. My only DE experience has been with vintage Gillettes, so I can't really guide you.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I'm curious as to why some of you are choosing a single-edge instead of a double-edge. I considered making that same choice, back when I was still using Trac-IIs, due to my perception that single-edged blades would be easier to obtain and safer to dispose of. Double-edged blades last twice as long though, and both kinds require care when discarding. I drop my used D.E. blades in a 'blade bank' that I made out of a tomato soup can. When I'm away from home, I re-wrap the used blade and save it for the blade bank.

I got into SEs by accident. When I went looking for a safety razor, the first one I found in an antique store was a $5 GEM Micromatic. Since then, my technique has developed to favor it, I guess. I also had two vintage Gillettes - an adjustable that I never really cared for and passed onto my brother and my grandfather's very basic model that I discovered in his toolbox at the family cottage. I've been using that one since I ran out of SE blades, and I like it ok, but I will return to the Micromatic as soon as I get the chance. I find I get a closer shave in a single pass than I do running both sides of the DE over the same area. GEM claimed this was due to the rigid nature of the SE blade, and maybe that's true, I just know I like it better than the thinner DE blades.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I prefer a straight

I use a variety of razors since they're one of the things I collect. The favorite in my collection, and the one that sees the most use, is a restored Tally Ho straight. Pics of the razor before and after the restoration can be found at the following link: Fenney Tally-Ho

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I didn't look up the Futur, but the Merkur 23C appears to be a double-edge razor. My only DE experience has been with vintage Gillettes, so I can't really guide you.

The rigid single edge does give a great shave. I have a few Gems and Ever readys but you do have to pay attention. The Merkur Futur is my favorite double edge. Closer and cleaner than any Gillette adjustable I own and a bit above my A1flair tip. My problem is finding superior single edge blades. Gem and Treet are available at local srores but where for better guality?
Tom D.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I used this recently found British made 'Myatt' open-comb last night with a Shark blade and Derby shave stick for an excellent shave with 3 passes....after I'd cleaned and polished it from it's grubby previous condition that is!
24xdpoz.jpg

124d56x.jpg

11ryafa.jpg

voveqw.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My problem is finding superior single edge blades. Gem and Treet are available at local srores but where for better guality?
Tom D.

Well, after a few days at this it looks like there are only four SE blades on the market:

1) Treet
2) GEM stainless
3) GEM uncoated carbon steel
4) Persona

I'm about to give the GEM uncoated blades a shot. I'll have to store them someplace low humidity, but I'm encouraged by the reviews they've received about being potentially giving a closer shave than the stainless and the potential for re-sharpening.

Feraud

Bartender
With a sharp blade and good technique one can get a close shave with either a single or double edged razor. If pressed, I'd say I get a slightly better shave from my single edged Gem razors.
On the razor forums there is a lot of talk about the aggressive nature of the Gem Micromatics. Personally I love the razor!

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Michaelshane - you've displayed some beautiful razors. Makes me want to post some of my own, aside from the old wedge I linked on the prior page. Good to see that there's others out there who don't discriminate - I prefer a straight, but have SE and DE razors in the rotation as well to keep things interesting. Combine that with a dozen or so different shaving soaps, boar and badger brushes, etc. The combinations are endless.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
While I was in Kansas City over the summer, I went into an Art of Shaving at the Plaza District and got a honest to Good, hot towel and brush lather, cut throat shave. I was hooked. I walked out with a bowl of TOBS Almond cream and a pure Badger brush and a new Edwin Jagger 3 piece. I love the new ritual of drawing a sink of hot water, soaking my face in hot towels, applying a pre shave oil( that I make myself with Vit E, Lemon and Tea Tree oils), working up a lather on my face with my brush and getting a nice smooth shave WTG, XTG and ATG. Follow that up with a nice splash of Citrus splash( that I make) in the Summer or a nice Spiced Rum and Clove( that I make) in the cooler months.

Now, down in the West Bottoms, where the stockyards used to be ( all the Wild West cattle drives y'all read about ended up in KC , to go on trains, to all points further East), the old buildings are now antique stores and on the first Friday of every month(called First Fridays), they open up all weekend. I perused all the old buildings ( a cool retro vibe all in itself) and got myself a nice collection of Gillette DE razors, from the roaring 20's to the late 60's,,,,

So, from 12:00, going clockwise: a 1920's Gillette 3 piece, old style, open comb, ball end; a Gillette 3 piece, new style ,open comb, ball end; a Gillette 1947 TTO Tech; a Gillette 1952 TTO Tech, Aluminum handle, Blue Tip; A Gillette TTO Tech Black Tip; A Gillette 1967 TTO Tech adjustable; a Gillette 1968 TTO Tech Black handle; and the EJ 3 piece.
Picture418_zpsfb683e08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Btw, my favorite is the 1930's new style open comb.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
And my straights: A Karnak, that I put into a new handle; A Goldedge; A Henkel Twinworks Platinum; a original Schultz-weyer
Picture294_zps082e98d6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The thing about cut throats is they have to be "shave ready" and I don't mean really really sharp. I mean a straight edge at a microscopic level. If you look at a typical shave ready edge under a microscope(say 600X), the edge looks like a wood sawblade edge. A super shave ready( that I wouldn't shave with anything else) is absolutely straight and the edge is like a mirror to the naked eye. That's from running the edge on micron paper to 80,000+ grit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou