Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
It is if...

...one is only speculating.

I don't know if it would work or not. It doesn't sound like it would, but why wouldn't a person try it. The "why nots" here sound like guessing more than anything else.

A_Jameson

New in Town
I'm shocked at how many gentleman here use Mach 3's and the like.. I have a few razors I rotate, they include a 1969 Gillette Fatboy, 1940 Gillette Tech Gold, and the Gillette 1912. Any new fangled 2,3,5 blade contraption just causes razor burn, ingrown hairs and a very uncomfortable feeling.

I use a badger brush or fine Boar Brush and rotate between various soaps such as Tabac or ToBs and creams such as C.O. Bigolow (Re-branded Proraso) and various other creams such as the T&H 1805. Blades are Personnas or Gillette 7'Oclocks.

I'm rather picky about my shave. :))

My 2c

Canadave

One Too Many
A_Jameson said:
I'm shocked at how many gentleman here use Mach 3's and the like.. (snip) Any new fangled 2,3,5 blade contraption just causes razor burn, ingrown hairs and a very uncomfortable feeling...

Hey, A_J. Welcome to the Lounge.

Regarding those of us who use the newfangled razors, we're not getting razor burn, ingrown hairs and the like, or we wouldn't be using them methinks. They work for us. (I'm a firm believer that it's the pre-shave that is the most important element.) I guess it's an individual thing.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Grim Reaper's Sythe.

He thought he could walk into the bar and pick my hat up...:eek:

I'm not fond of hoodies at the best of times...[huh] He's now lying out back kissing the sidewalk...

His sythe makes for a good, clean SHAVE! But I still prefer my trusty Gillette...;)

12345Michael543

New in Town
I occasionally use a straight razor - usually a Dovo Bismarck. (More often, I shave with a 50 year old Gillette Fat Boy adjustable safety razor.)

As for the incredible danger of shaving with a straight razor without extensive training and preparation, along with having to possess the steadiness of hand of the finest vascular surgeon (at least, that's how lots of people seem to regard it), I'd point out that for generations the straight razor was the most common way to shave. And yet, the graveyards were not filled with the bodies of young men who slashed their carotid arteries as the result of a split second's inattention while shaving.

Basically, a straight razor's about as dangerous as a kitchen knife. If you aren't afraid that you'll chop off your fingers the next time you cut up some veggies in preparing dinner, neither should you be afraid that you'll slash your throat while shaving off your whiskers.

Have I ever nicked myself with a straight razor? Yeah, it's happened. How bad was it? About like when I've nicked myself with a safety razor.

Particularly when just starting out with a straight razor, don't rush. Try to avoid circumstances where your 180 lb. Great Dane is likely to jump on you while you're shaving. Do a bit of research online to pick up some tips and techniques. Mostly, just relax and enjoy your shave.

Personally, I find proper facial preparation (a steaming towel on the face for a minute or two) and the use of real shave cream (not the stuff that comes in a can), make it a lot easier to get a really good shave with a straight razor. Then again, these things make it a lot easier to get a really good shave with a safety razor, too.
--
Michael

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I had no intention of using any canned stuff, figured if I get the razor I might as well get actual shaving "soap" and brush (wooden of course) to complete the ritual.

You've got some good taste in razors, too. Same straightedge I was looking at. And my grandfather used a Gillette Fat Boy.

Do strops vary significantly in quality? And what would you recommend for sharpening--just a whetstone?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Packin' Heat said:
Whattaya use to shave?

Anyone here use a straightedge? I've considered getting one, but I've heard that if you don't have a very good idea of how to use one you could end-up performing surgery you don't need. Any truth to that?

I've shaved with a straight-razor for about two months now. And NOBODY starts out using one knowing how to use it. We were all stupid newbies once.

When shaving with a straight razor, it's important to have it EXTREMELY sharp and to go slow and figure things out bit by bit, before you attempt to speed things up. Shaving with a blunt razor will hack up your face and give you cuts and nicks and razor-burn, because the blunt edge of the blade will rub over your skin. Having a sharp blade and warm, wet, lathered skin is essential.

To shave, you'll need the razor (razors come in various sizes, styles and prices. If you want to save money, buy a nice vintage razor from a good manufacturer), a strop and a honing/whetstone (dual-grit, please).

If buying a razor that's vintage, apart from condition of the blade and scales, also look out for words such as "Sheffield", "Birmingham", "Solingen" or "Thiers". These places (They're the names of TOWNS) were the four cities where top-quality razors were traditionally manufactured - Sheffield and Birmingham in England, Solingen in Germany and Theirs in France. Solingen & Thiers are still famous today for manufacturing excellent straight-razors.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Packin' Heat said:
Any recommendations for for what shaving soap is best and what kind of strop a beginner should get? What about a brush?

Don't skimp on the strop, even for a beginner, because they are a long term investment. Go for a good quality "Latigo" leather that is 3" wide and preferably with a separate canvas strop(althought attached is acceptable). Beware ebay specials! Try ClassicShaving.com

As for shave soap...you want a soap with natural oils or fats that will keep your skin moisturized and lubricated(I know this sounds girly, but it makes a difference).

A universal favorite is Mitchell's Woolfat which will set you back about $12 for a puck and about $35 if you want it in their nice heirloom ceramic bowl. I use it interchangeably with Institute Karite from France, also about $15 for a puck. And lastly, invest in a good badger hair brush, silvertip if you don't mind spending $40 or more...I can't tell you how good a hot lathered brush feels in the morning on my beard after a shower...kills me that I was missing out on that pleasure for decades.

Believe it or not, I'd put the least money in the razor...not to imply buying a cheapo Chinese or Pakistani razor but rather get yourself a good vintage German, English or even vintage American razor(Clauss, Case) used on ebay for under $50 and then send it to a honemeister for $20-25 more and you will have a good starting point. Once you've mastered a good, nick free, WTG and ATG shave then start looking for a finer razor and use your first one to start learning honing skills.

I didn't read the whole thread but if it wasn't mentioned already...get yourself onto straighrazorplace.com

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Soaps such as Proraso, Windsor or as WineGuy mentioned, Mitchell's Wool Fat, are good shaving-soaps. They have nice scents and they're easy to lather with.

You really shouldn't skimp on a strop. If you CANNOT get a strop AT ALL...then you can use a smooth, old leather belt as a strop (emphasis on SMOOTH), but this should only be done as a last resort, or as a temporary solution until you find an actual strop.

Strops come in two different styles, paddle-strops or hanging-strops.

The hanging-strop is the more familiar one. You hang it from a hook or a towel-rail in your bathroom, tug it taut and strop away on it. Or, you can use a more compact paddle-strop, which you hold by the handle and strop on. I would like a hanging-strop, but my paddle-strop works fine. And its smaller size can be beneficial if your bathroom is small.

Any brush made of badger-hair ought to be good. Badger-hair retains water, which is what you want. You're after a WET shave, after all. A synthetic brush that holds no water is no use to you, because you won't be able to lather up your soap effectively.

Shaving with a straight-razor takes practice, that's a granted, but once you've got it, you'll never go back. As WineGuy says, buying a BRAND NEW razor is not necessary. Sure, they look great, but at $200+, I could spend that money better elsewhere.

When looking for a vintage straight-razor, try and find one that is...

- Free from RUST. Carbon steel, which is what straights are traditionally made of, can rust if not looked after properly.

- Free of chips, cracks, dents and dings. Those denote either poor construction or careless use.

- Round-point. Square or French point razors can be tricky. Round-points are a bit more forgiving.

- Hollow-ground. There are various grades of hollowness, though, so keep that in mind.

- Engraved with a selection of the following words:

"Hollow-Ground".
"Hollow".
"Solingen".
"Sheffield".
"Thiers".

Solingen and Sheffield were famous for making straight-razors (and still are, as is the French town of Thiers) and any razor bearing those three names should be a razor of good quality and a fine shaver.

Also, check the razor scales (the handle) for cracks or chips or anything like that. You do not want the scales to break apart on you halfway through a shave. Make sure also, that the pins (the little metal rivets that hold the razor together) are in good condition and that the razor-blade moves around with a degree of stiffness. You don't want a razor that flops and spins around on its pins, as this can be irritating.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
When I said a strop for a "beginner," I meant one I wouldn't have to worry about preparing so much (de-cupping, ect.), I didn't mean a cheap one. I'm not concerned about the price on any of these items unless someone brings up a jewel-entrusted accessory or something equally ridiculous.

Anyway, very good advice so far, fellas. Thanks.

Feraud

Bartender
^ That is subjective. I simply use witch hazel after a shave. Most faces take to a certain type of shave method and skin care. Try a few and see what you like.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Can anyone suggest a good blade for a vintage double edged razor? I have been using Wilkinson Sword blades, but they dull really quickly and scrape my face. They seem to be the only ones I can find here in Canada at any drugstore. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Feather is a fine blade. Derbys go for about about half to two thirds the price. A few days ago I used a Merkur blade for the first time in quite a while. Gillette adjustable set on two. My chin is almost healed.:eek:
Tom D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner