Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

freebird

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
If you skin gets sore try less passes at first to allow your skin to adjust. Also pre-shave oil can help as a great lube for the razor.

At the end you can use warm water to clean up the residual lather but once clean you want to use a cold cold water face cloth over all the areas you shaved. There are some aftershave creams that will help aleviate soreness, but most will pop on a little aftershave or witch-hazel to close the pores some more.

Ditto. I started using pre-shave oil, but found some Olive Oil shampoo that does almost the same. Just shampoo your face, rinse and you're ready to go (after lathering up of course)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JP147 said:
I don't know how you guys using Mach 3's manage it. The head on that thing is so big I can't get round my nose. Any my nose ain't that big.

This is a great thread, I'm gonna try lots of this old school advice.

I think that's why, with their Fusion 5-bladed razors, they've added the single touch-up trim blade on the back.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Good evening gents. I see this thread comes to life from time to time so I thought I would post. Today's shave was smashing. Castle Forbes lavender shave cream, B&B Edwin Jagger finest badger brush, and QED's fabulous DaVinci water to finish it off. The usual hot water soaked wash cloth was used for beard softening. A tip for those who use the CF creams. As you must know if you use it, CF cream is more dense than any other brand. Almost to the point of being unworkable compared to a regular cream. I have taken to loading the brush directly from the jar like a hard soap. Simply shake the brush nearly dry, then load the tips in a gentle swirling motion. I am now using less than 1/8 teaspoon per shave. It lathers famously. This cream baby's my skin like no other. The rose /lavender hydrosols of the DaVinci Water makes for a soothing aftershave feel. Even though I rarely need it with this lather.

freebird

Practically Family
Received some new goodies today. No "new" razors, that will probably come in later this week. In todays mail was my order from Ogallala Bay Rum.

in the box I found:

* two pucks of Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap
* one gigantic bottle of Bay Rum aftershave skin toner
* sample size puck of Bay Rum and Lemon Grass
* sample size bottle of Limes & Peppercorn
* sample size bottle of Bay Rum & Sandalwood
* sample size bottle of Bay Rum cologne[/LIST]

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
rmrdaddy said:
Nicely done Phog!
I'd been considering some lavender shave cream....:)

Now, what was your weapon of choice for todays shave?

Hello rmrdaddy. I apologise for not responding sooner. I do not check the Lounge as often as I should. The tonsorial instrument that day was a long handled Gillette adjustable set to 3 and sporting a Feather blade. These blades are near perfection and I use them exclusively. I have a very dense, tough beard and these handle it with aplomb. BTW, I have a jar of the Castle Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood that arrived about two weeks ago. It performs nearly the same magic on my beard as the lavender. A softer, less in your face treatment with the cedar. Class, class, and more class. Do try it.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Johnnysan said:
I have a terrible problem with ingrown hairs resulting in razor bumps. Things have gotten much better (although not completely problem free) since I began avoiding aerosol shaving cream. I now use a badger brush, Williams shaving soap, a Gillette Mach 3 razor and I shave in the shower.

I had to jump in on this thread, my bf was getting horrible shaving bumps from his incredibly sensitive skin and he started using High Time Bump Stopper 2, http://www.sallybeauty.com/Bump+Stopper+2/SBS-141121,default,pd.html and hasn't had a problem since. We get it at Sally Beauty Supply but you can also find it at Target in the ethnic hair care aisle. Thought this might help you all.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I raided my local Crabtree & Evelyn last week. If any FLer's have one nearby, it may be worth a stop. Their Big Sale is going on right now, and they have a good percentage of their men's shaving goods discounted.
Sienna and Sandalwood puck soaps
Sienna, Sandalwood, and Sweet Almond Oil Shave Creams
Yeah, I overdid it a little.....:eek:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It's not the be-all, end-all of shaving but...

May222008013.jpg

I've had good luck with my GEM Micromatic, C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) shaving cream, and a brush (I don't use my mug as much more than a brush holder). I make one pass, rinse my face, and then make a second. I use Treet blades currently, but wouldn't mind finding something sharper. I'd also love to try a straight razor, but I'm not sure I can convince my wife I won't kill myself.

-Dave

harbilly

New in Town
hmmmm. I use various safety razors, I find when I'm on the go that any of the military or ones with little spokes/claws work best and the small travel case is useful. The clawed razors (I don't know the proper term for them) seem designed to stop you from ripping yourself up when hot water and a softened beard are just not going to happen for you.
I have some Derby Extra blades, and they are okay but are rather slicey on that first shave (at least the batch I had was), but for the last few years I have been able to stick to my vast supply of blades from the 1940s and 50s (and I have a supply from the 70s as well for that future day when I am forced to 'modernize' due to the final demise of the good old blades - and I don't keep the blades in the washroom. I keep them warm and dry and with dessicant next to them).
I keep dying blades going a little longer by using Twinplex stroppers (a kind of metal marvel with a crank, rubber rollers and a flip/flop internal arrangement in to which you slide the offending blade to hone it).
They are available on eBay and seem to be mostly made in the 10s and 20s. I strop any blade that gets dull even though most of the blades say 'no stropping' or 'no hone' or something on them. Easy for the company to print that on the blades and I guess it caused fellows to discard and buy new more regularly. Maybe it dulled 'new' blades if they were stropped before use or something.
Also, when traveling, I post blades ahead to the hotel or friends.
I hate electric razors. I tried 'em. I'm sorry I did.
It's Nov. 11 at 2:58pm (pacific) and some good deals on stroppers are ending soon.
Now, off you go my shaving friends, off you go! (Just don't bid against me, okay!):D

DeaconKC

One Too Many
harbilly, glad to see more wetshavers here. Those "claws" are called comb razors. Yuo I've got one from the 20's that is still a good shaver along with some other Gillette's.

harbilly

New in Town
Thanks for teaching me the term DeaconKC. Comb razors. Makes sense. I love 'em. I have several - and other variations of King G's razors as well. I play a little game in the morning deciding which razor gets to the lucky one to do the job. I do the same when it is time for a Martini - which shaker, which glass. It adds something I enjoy but can't really explain very well. Perhaps it fits in to 'A thing worth doing.......'

Dave: Nice catch. I forgot our American cousins say 'bathroom' or something. I guess it beats WC or Loo.
What if I said 'sometimes I take a pan of water and shave while sitting on my chesterfield'? Would someone out there think I had plopped myself down on a pack of smokes??
Cheers:)

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
harbilly said:
I play a little game in the morning deciding which razor gets to the lucky one to do the job. I do the same when it is time for a Martini - which shaker, which glass. It adds something I enjoy but can't really explain very well. Perhaps it fits in to 'A thing worth doing.......'
I don't know if I can explain it other than "fun" but I can understand it. Which razor? soap or creme? which one...aftershave?.....
harbilly said:
Dave: Nice catch. I forgot our American cousins say 'bathroom' or something. I guess it beats WC or Loo.
What if I said 'sometimes I take a pan of water and shave while sitting on my chesterfield'? Would someone out there think I had plopped myself down on a pack of smokes??
Cheers:)

Yup, we've upgraded to a room, no closets for us.;)

And no I would hope you didn't spill...use a bowl. I have for some time been keeping an eye out for a old shaving setup. Table would be preferred but there were some awesome shelve models. It may even get used...

SteveS

New in Town
I have my grandfathers razor that I have been debating about using. I haven't pulled it out in a few years but I believe it is a comb razor, but I have a question, do these type of razors give a better shave than the new Mach 3, Fusions, etc?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Steve,
They have the potential to give a better shave.

But, some caveats:
You will need to WANT to shave this way. You will need to invest a few dollars in some blades, soap or cream, and a brush. You will also need to do some homework to develop good technique, and learn some different shaving methods than you currently employ. During that time, you will have a few lousy shaves, and most likely see some blood.
It can be a wonderful ritual, and give you fantastic results if you have the mindset and will to learn a new(OLD!) way of shaving.

Best of Luck!

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I will attest to what daddy said, I made the switch around a year ago and will not go back. It can take some time and you can get into it in varying degrees. I picked it up quickly as I had actually started with a DE (dual edge) razor. I now get better shaves with less irritation and more enjoyment then I did previously. The down side to shaving this way is time as it takes a bit longer, but not much. Also you may a case of SGAD (shaving gear acquisition disorder) which can make it even more fun ...but can eat $. B&B is a great site with tons of info and some interesting characters....enjoy!

harbilly

New in Town
-----and the joy of NOT buying hyper expensive tricksy 3 or 4 or 5 blade cartridges pitched by hucksters who have millions of dollars (say some sports hero types, for example) way too often is a nice bonus too. My face feels much more ready for the day after shaving this way than it ever did with a trac II or an electric abomination. And I feel kind of more ready or relaxed or refreshed or something too. Even if I'm on the road and pull over in the afternoon for a shave I perk right up. I never got that from any other kind of shaving. Odd but true.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i've been graced with genes that allow one shave a week and that is usually done with barbasol and a gillette mach something(it was my first razor since i started shaving) but recently i've been wet shaving in the shower with a disposable bic...then i trim up what pitiful facial hair i have with a little comb and cuticle scissors...and a little lotion to prevent burn...

i just realized today that i haven't been 100% clean shaven since 2005/senior year highschool...kinda funny...to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner