Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What draws you to the vintage eras?

angeljenny

A-List Customer
In watching a couple of films today I thought of another thing I like - there seemed to be a glamour and mystery around the actors and actresses at that time. I like that and I also like the idea that making an effort is a good thing. Not the oh I don't try style but actually working towards something and admitting that you put time and energy into it.

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face
This is my first post and seems like a good place to start.

My grandma came from a performing family. She started off as a chorus girl (vaudeville) in one of her mothers shows and went on to join the circus on the high wire and also as a contortionist. She performed all her life (and was getting ready for work the day she died). I grew up watching her dance, juggle, act (she did a few Australian movies and even a few popular aussie tv shows), she was a comedian and an absolutely amazing jazz singer. Any time my brother and I were with her we would be taken to jazz clubs and the circus and the theatre. I spent one summer backstage with her while she was performing in 42nd street. She also introduced me to musicals and old tv shows. I always loved the fashions and hair and make up. I was probably the only teenager who wanted to marry Fred Astaire instead of whatever teen idols there were at the time. But during my teens I refused to wear anything but jeans and t-shirts much to my grandmothers horror. I was still dressing that way when she passed away and so I let my mum donate all her clothes, wigs and hats. Then I got busy being married and having kids and it was only as I started noticing other people dressing that way that I realised it was an option. Seems so silly now. Now I am rarely seen in anything other than a dress, I wear a slip under everything and pantyhose or stockings almost everyday. I am still trying to figure out hair and makeup but the more I get into it the more it just feels right. I didn't wear makeup for years and now I feel almost naked if I leave the house without red lipstick. I think my gran would be so happy with the way I am finally becoming a lady. I fought her on it for years.

Caroline H

Familiar Face
project:girl,
I think you bring up an important point, many of the things we here on the lounge treasure and want to hold on to are slipping away so much faster now. For a while many of us got busy and didn't notice and then one day there it was! As an example, in our city the last family owned toy and hobby store will close in the next month. They are packed right now with all of the poeple who remember when all of their toys were bought there and can't believe the store is closing. But where were they all this time!! Everyone started shopping online or going to big box stores without thinking about the consequences to small local businesses and to our community!

There are fewer and fewer people around who remember these eras first hand and I feel like it is important to preserve the memory of life in an earlier time for my daughter, who might never know anything much about it otherwise. That's one reason, but the other reason I love these eras is that fashion in clothing, cars and household items just had more style and character and I enjoy being surrounded by them!

Last edited:

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face
There are fewer and fewer people around who remember these eras first hand and I feel like it is important to preserve the memory of life in an earlier time for my daughter, who might never know anything much about it otherwise.

My nana can't understand why when I visit I want to know everything about her early years. I left it too late with my grandma and with my great gran and pop. She doesn't understand why she is such a role model for me - My grandfather was one of Australia's best motorcyclists and died in a crash when my Nan was in her early 20's leaving her with a 4 yo and my dad who was 1. She then went on to put herself through school, survived a second marriage to a violent schizophrenic and divorced him (even though she was catholic) and has always been the most amazing selfless, caring person. She also thinks I am crazy for wearing a girdle LOL...she was very grateful when that practice went out of style. But whenever I visit I take out my iphone voice recorder and have her tell me as much as she can remember. Like you, I want to share these things with my daughters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass