Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatwoul

Practically Family
MKL said:
DSC_0007Large.jpg

Anybody else see a resemblance between MKL and Richard Dreyfuss in this picture? No? OK, I'll shut up then. Great hat, by the way, MKL.

Fatdutchman said:

That is spectacular. If that hat and Rusty's TVA were to have a fight, I am not sure which would win.

Any of you who know my affection for the TVA know that this is no small praise. lol

Choeki

Familiar Face
Typical Japanese Hat

Today I'm wearing the typical type of hat (trilby) that is still widely available at most Japanese department stores. I purchased this one used for about $15 USD at a local "recycle shop."

03DEC07-hat01.jpg

As you can see, the crown and brim are stitched heavily - I would imagine the reason being because the fabric is rather soft compared to the European brand hats I have:

03DEC07-hat02.jpg

Here is a close-up of the pin that came with the hat. From what I read in the forums before I managed to register, I am under the impression that most people who are forum members aren't too fond of feathers. However, I found the hat pin mounted feathers to be interesting so it ended up being the reason I purchased the hat in the first place.

03DEC07-hat03.jpg

The size is 57cm, but it is listed as "free size" and has a fabric (65% polyester, 35% cotton) sweatband. The crown and brim are 65% wool and 35% nylon. The ribbon is fully stitched on, but there is no bow - only a sewn on loop for the pin. I am unsure if the pin originally came with the hat, but I am at a loss as to what would have come with the hat if anything did at all.

Nevertheless, this is the typical type of hat that one can find in menswear sections of department stores in Japan for around $30 to $50 USD. High school and college age Japanese boys usually sport them with a variety of outfits (usually "hip-hop" wear), but occasionally you can see some older gentlemen wearing them. It's actually fairly rare to find fur felt hats outside of specialty or premium suit and hat stores, especially in the countryside. However, there are plenty of these available in a variety of materials (except, of course fur felt or stiff wool felt) and colors at typical working-class department stores such as Apita, Jusco, and Ito Yokado.

Marty M.

Vendor
W.W.FD.W

More guy's should go to Church more ofton and dress like Fatdutchman when they go.
W.W.FD.W = What Would Fatdutchman Wear.
Marty Mathis

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Fatdutchman said:
Just about everything I wear must be brown or blue. Maybe a green shirt sometimes, but I'm usually very much a study in brown. While I do have one gray hat and another on the way, every other hat I have is some form of brown/tan.

This is my Jimmy Pierce beaver hat. It stays in the box and is only worn on occasion.
JPD-Hughes3.jpg

This is about as snazzily dressed as I get. Right now, I don't really have ANY "dress" clothes. I'm a poor workin' man. While I will spend money on hats or the occasional leather jacket, I don't even own a suit! Currently, I only have one pair of dress-ish pants that fit me (the brown corduroy ones above). All the khakis and things I had before are all now too large for me. Same with dress shirts.

I do need to get myself at least one suit...if I can find one in a brown pinstripe... Modern suits generally are available in black, gray, navy, and MAYBE some sort of tan...almost never brown.
That is absolutely awesome!!:eusa_clap I hope I asked Art for a bound brim since I don't have a hat with one. Magnoli clothiers makes suits in brown, And for my price range I have seen brown making a comeback at BCF!

Choeki

Familiar Face
indycop said:
Nice hat! :eusa_clap I love the vest and tie!!:eusa_clap

Thanks! The tie is actually a recent purchase (at the Daiso) and I made the vest from a tweed sport coat that had some moth damage. It has an interesting pair of dragons screen printed on the lining that I managed to save when I shortened the hem, but no one will probably ever get to see it in the office since I never take my vests off at work. :p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Choeki said:
Thanks! The tie is actually a recent purchase (at the Daiso) and I made the vest from a tweed sport coat that had some moth damage. It has an interesting pair of dragons screen printed on the lining that I managed to save when I shortened the hem, but no one will probably ever get to see it in the office since I never take my vests off at work. :p
You made the vest!!?:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Wow thats some talent!!!:eusa_clap

Choeki

Familiar Face
metropd said:
Is that a WW1 imperial army officer in your avatar Choeki?

I'm not sure actually. I believe it's a still from a TV commercial, but I don't recall the exact source. It may be early WW2, actually.

indycop said:
You made the vest!!? Wow thats some talent!!!

Well, I'd hesitate to say I actually made it since it was just the modification of an existing piece of clothing. If you want to see some of my work, I have a thread I just started in the suit section regarding experimentation in radical alterations. I do eventually want to make the lion's share of my own clothing (up to and including shoes if possible), but so far I'm still learning the fundamentals. [huh]

MKL

A-List Customer
Nice hat Fatdutchman. Looks great on you in the previous pix.

Fatdutchman said:
Just about everything I wear must be brown or blue. Maybe a green shirt sometimes, but I'm usually very much a study in brown. While I do have one gray hat and another on the way, every other hat I have is some form of brown/tan.

This is my Jimmy Pierce beaver hat. It stays in the box and is only worn on occasion.
JPD-Hughes3.jpg

This is about as snazzily dressed as I get. Right now, I don't really have ANY "dress" clothes. I'm a poor workin' man. While I will spend money on hats or the occasional leather jacket, I don't even own a suit! Currently, I only have one pair of dress-ish pants that fit me (the brown corduroy ones above). All the khakis and things I had before are all now too large for me. Same with dress shirts.

I do need to get myself at least one suit...if I can find one in a brown pinstripe... Modern suits generally are available in black, gray, navy, and MAYBE some sort of tan...almost never brown.

MKL

A-List Customer
That is a nice hat. I am glad you kept it as is. Looks good on you.

Fletch said:
Today it's the heavy taupe Borsalino with self band, acquired of FL'er Weegee last year.
I was gonna have it rebanded but I've really come to like the look as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925