Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKL

A-List Customer
Today (and yesterday for church) I am wearing my Penney's Marathon.

DSC_0002Large.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Aaron Hats said:
My Tilley Winter Hat with earflaps. A wool hat with no shrinkage...do women know about shrinkage? :eek:

IMG_0020.jpg

Aaron - I'm not just the store owner, I'm also a customer.
Wow that looks like the perfect spot for Christmas!! The hat looks nice and warm!!:eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Today it's the heavy taupe Borsalino with self band, acquired of FL'er Weegee last year.
I was gonna have it rebanded but I've really come to like the look as it is.

2084229934_c2f09cde58.jpg
That's a great looking hat!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Is it diamond or teardrop?

MKL

A-List Customer
Aaron,

I like the hat and the background! Don't see much of that stuff here in Kansas anymore.

Aaron Hats said:
My Tilley Winter Hat with earflaps. A wool hat with no shrinkage...do women know about shrinkage? :eek:

IMG_0020.jpg

Aaron - I'm not just the store owner, I'm also a customer.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Fatdutchman said:
Right now, I don't really have ANY "dress" clothes. I'm a poor workin' man. While I will spend money on hats or the occasional leather jacket, I don't even own a suit! I do need to get myself at least one suit...if I can find one in a brown pinstripe... Modern suits generally are available in black, gray, navy, and MAYBE some sort of tan...almost never brown.

Please don't laugh at the following suggestion, I do it myself. Check out the nearest GOODWILL STORE. Everything they sell is cleaned before it goes on the rack, and often it is brand new. I currently have two wool sportcoats, from our local store. This winter they are getting regular daily use. Five dollars apiece. Suits are less than twenty, sometimes less than ten!

Just be prepared to try on everything that might catch your eye, since items are either not marked as to size, or they have guessed at the size. After a while, it actually gets to be fun, and you can find some real treasures!

flylot74

One of the Regulars
What JT said!

J.T.Marcus said:
Please don't laugh at the following suggestion, I do it myself. Check out the nearest GOODWILL STORE. Everything they sell is cleaned before it goes on the rack, and often it is brand new. I currently have two wool sportcoats, from our local store. This winter they are getting regular daily use. Five dollars apiece. Suits are less than twenty, sometimes less than ten!

Just be prepared to try on everything that might catch your eye, since items are either not marked as to size, or they have guessed at the size. After a while, it actually gets to be fun, and you can find some real treasures!

volatile

A-List Customer
n504990081_414702_2350.jpg

Not this outfit, not this face, not this facial hair, not these piercings... but today I am wearing this hat; my favourite hat, a dress-up, dress-down, classic, trendy, perennial tweed newsboy.

Lovely.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Glad to hear so many of us were in church, yesterday. I was with you (and I wore a hat there and back, even though the church is just next door.)

MKL, Love that Marathon. I'm keeping my eyes open for one.

Dinerman, Really nice looking Knox 15. Does it really have a slight lavender tint? If it does, it looks good!

Choeki

Familiar Face
My dark gray fedora

Today I'm wearing my only proper fedora. It's a dark gray, Italian made Borsalino branded fedora that came off the shelf with an open crown and a snap brim:

04DEC07-hat01.jpg

I hand-bashed it myself using the guide stickied in this forum:

04DEC07-hat02.jpg

It has a real leather sweatband and is fully lined:

04DEC07-hat03.jpg

04DEC07-hat04.jpg

There was quite a bit of "shelf wear" when I bought it though (dust, mainly). As you can tell the ribbon has seen better days and the lining fell out when I initially picked it up (I tucked it back in... is it supposed to be glued in or something?).

fatwoul

Practically Family
Choeki said:

And the winner of the "dude who can wear any hat and look cool, whilst having a very serious face" goes to...

...well, DOUGLAS, of course. But you're fast becoming his main competition, Choeki. You wear your hats so confidently, and with such poise. You make them look cool, not vice versa.

Having said that, this is my favourite of your hats so far, in terms of how it looks on you. I forget what conventional wisdom says about brim sizes, but a wider brim certainly seems to fit your face better.

Incidentally, and forgive me if this has already been asked, but is hat-wearing (and in particular fedora-wearing) more popular in Japan than Europe? I know the fedora is a style that found its home in the US, and I also know that Japan has had a major fascination/obsession with US culture since the 50s/60s.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Knox 15 with "comfit", and really wide ribbon bow center tie.
IMG_3801.jpg

How wide? Gotta be 2 inches or more, right?

That's a very nicely proportioned hat. Reminds me of a brown version of Art's "Wall Street", which I love.

volatile said:

That's some angry cap-wearin there, volatile. lol

Seriously, though, if someone had described that outfit and those tattoos and piercings, I would never have pictured the two working together. But you make it work. Good job.

Choeki

Familiar Face
fatwoul said:
And the winner of the "dude who can wear any hat and look cool, whilst having a very serious face" goes to...

...well, DOUGLAS, of course. But you're fast becoming his main competition, Choeki. You wear your hats so confidently, and with such poise. You make them look cool, not vice versa.

Having said that, this is my favourite of your hats so far, in terms of how it looks on you. I forget what conventional wisdom says about brim sizes, but a wider brim certainly seems to fit your face better.

Incidentally, and forgive me if this has already been asked, but is hat-wearing (and in particular fedora-wearing) more popular in Japan than Europe? I know the fedora is a style that found its home in the US, and I also know that Japan has had a major fascination/obsession with US culture since the 50s/60s.

lol Thanks! I see it as rare praise to be compared to Douglas, especially since I imagine my hat collection is quite a bit smaller than his. I actually have a great deal more military uniform hats, but I have no real occasion to wear them at all so they sit in the dresser cabinet. As I may have mentioned before though, I lost a bit of weight recently so I avoided anything with a wide brim until recently due to a self-perception I had of looking like Mr. Toht from the first Indiana Jones film. This is currently my favorite hat, but I try not to wear it too often to keep it from getting worn out too quickly.

I can't really say if hat wearing is more popular in Japan versus Europe though since I've never set foot in Europe... However, the unfortunate problem these days with Japan's America obsession is that it's primarily stuck on the most fatuous pop culture elements regarding style (Eminem, Paris Hilton, etc.) rather than classic elements. So in the case of fedoras and their kin, I've only really seen guys around my age and younger wearing them as part of a hip-hop style outfit (usually super expensive faux-thrift store style brands) as a kind of "pimp hat." Other than that, the "ironic" trucker-style ball cap seems to be all the rage. Not to say that there aren't people interested in classic style... It's just that they're decidedly the minority in comparison to other subcultures that are more popular (ex. those Japanese guys that dress up like SS officers and/or Victorian era English maids all the time) :eusa_doh:

I've actually had to field comments on looking like a "grandpa" by Japanese people though, since I only wear my hats when wearing a suit (although I occasionally wear a Kangol driving cap or ushanka with regular clothes if it gets cold enough). In this case though, the comment sort of works since I have seen geriatric men in Japan wearing department store trilby hats more often than I have seen them wearing ball caps. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925