Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
moon--you look absolutely fine in your hats, my friend. I just play the camera angles...;)

Bob--I'm so late posting due to the time zone I'm in it's already tomorrow for our European, Asia- and Oceania-based loungers. So maybe you should call it "What day am I wearing this hat?"

Oh. You must be on the left side of the country. If we call it that, does it mean I have to start keeping track of my days...?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Good morning, fellow Loungers! Hi Esther, nice (would that be considered a) cloche? Incidentally, you're not the only one who doesn't know what John is saying...

Good gosh, a tremendous display yesterday. Great hats and caps. In to the office this morning before taking some time off over the rest of this week and next. Only a week or so ago, I was able to photograph myself outside in the sunlight on my way in - now it's too dark. Fall has definitely arrived here. The rains Terry referred to passed through yesterday in a constant drizzle and brought much cooler temps. However, my CD survived it with room to spare (as I'm sure none of you are surprised to hear).

Today, I decided to make it Whippet Whednesday here in Funkytown.

View attachment 36057 View attachment 36058

Looking forward to today's displays. Bring 'em on!

"Whip it good!"

EstherWeis

Vendor
Hi Esther, nice (would that be considered a) cloche?

Thank you kind Sir!

Well sort of, what we know as a cloche here is the thing you start from.
(I'll include a picture)
But I get what you are saying, a cloche hat is more or less this idea, the brims are often a bit smaller on those. Like the 20's type cloche hats.
I just call this the german helmet hat :)

d4132dce594ffb74691ceb4be65ec266.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
On top today is a sage Excellent Strat.
I don't foresee this thing coming off my head very much this autumn.

Everyone looking stellar today with fantastic hats all around.
.... That is the very reason that I am always just glad to be part of the fold

aa8c0f0a05a4d670402c3669b3431aa6.jpg

4139ad9efb58fb4f23abb45c16d1b0e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Galt

Vendor
Oh haha, yes now I get it.

Well thank you John :) just scruffy old me.

That hat is a good colour on you!
I'm sure i could learn from you( if i look at Tj's hat. )
I always use hat blocks to block my hats, I'm not that talented when it comes to putting the dents in by hand...

Esther,

The hand biting thing is an old physical comedy bit. Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope, John Ritter, and Jim Carey have all done it in films or television (in Lewis' case - on the old Martin & Lewis TV show), but I could not find one image or video clip.

It's great to have you here. I wish we had more women participating. The different perspective and hat styles are truly refreshing, and a nice smile never goes unnoticed.

I really like that Champ too, and it is a rare color. It is too bad that most vintage men's hats that have survived represent a rather limited palette in comparison to what was then available. The Stetson Stratoliner was famously available in 26 colors.

As for TJ, he is very talented in his own right, he just needs more tools to go all in. I'd love to spend a couple of days making bows with him - he really shines at that, showing skill, originality and artistry.

The hand creasing (bashing in FL parlance) takes practice, but not such skill as the trim work, in my opinion. I think the most critical part is thoroughly steaming or misting the felt so it is damp & pliable like clay, but not soggy. I generally spray the hat down a bit and then steam it, which seems to give me more working time.

I prefer open blocks and hand creasing because I think it gives me more versatility, but it's both a personal preference and resource issue.

Mr. Fawcett has a very large collection of crown blocks, including many that are shaped, which plainly gives him lots of options. I have a set of fedora shaped crown blocks & toppers, a set of Optimo shaped crown blocks, and a handful of western shapes, but have not yet used any on a felt hat.

Back to topic, due to weather conditions, I switched out to a brown Stetson Nutria Quality. This will never be cut down Joao!

cec3178bde1968365033496ce715a229.jpg

Last edited:

foamy

A-List Customer
Everyone is totally style'in today. Great lids all around. Esther, that's my favorite hat I've seen you in.

Guys, where are those Whippets coming from? Deluxe!

Moon—very nice—it's you.

May as well join the BG CD gang.

Attachments

• BGCD.jpg
    BGCD.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 130

EstherWeis

Vendor
Esther,

The hand biting thing is an old physical comedy bit. Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope, John Ritter, and Jim Carey have all done it in films or television (in Lewis' case - on the old Martin & Lewis TV show), but I could not find one image or video clip.

It's great to have you here. I wish we had more women participating. The different perspective and hat styles are truly refreshing, and a nice smile never goes unnoticed.

I really like that Champ too, and it is a rare color. It is too bad that most vintage men's hats that have survived represent a rather limited palette in comparison to what was then available. The Stetson Stratoliner was famously available in 26 colors.

As for TJ, he is very talented in his own right, he just needs more tools to go all in. I'd love to spend a couple of days making bows with him - he really shines at that, showing skill, originality and artistry.

The hand creasing (bashing in FL parlance) takes practice, but not such skill as the trim work, in my opinion. I think the most critical part is thoroughly steaming or misting the felt so it is damp & pliable like clay, but not soggy. I generally spray the hat down a bit and then steam it, which seems to give me more working time.

I prefer open blocks and hand creasing because I think it gives me more versatility, but it's both a personal preference and resource issue.

Mr. Fawcett has a very large collection of crown blocks, including many that are shaped, which plainly gives him lots of options. I have a set of fedora shaped crown blocks & toppers, a set of Optimo shaped crown blocks, and a handful of western shapes, but have not yet used any on a felt hat.

Well, I was surprised that I was the only one. But hopefully there will be more in the future.

What about all the wives guys? None got hooked yet?

It's true, mens colours aren't that great nowadays.
This is what my supplier has in the
" mens quality "

75edb5d575390afc4c174317100ae120.jpg

I have some of those for me, I love that they are so sturdy compared to the general quality of the other felts out there. I find in those I'm able to " bash" as you all call it, the other ones is a no go in my eyes. They are too thin.

It's also different here, most european hats for men are tamer compared to what you guys all wear. Starting with the crown height.
I personally like a higher crown, yet most associate it with western or orthodox jewish hats.
I have one I wear often and I get a lot of jee haw's when I'm out and about.
And thats what you guys have as a normal hight i think.

2633150356d65963fdb1ec753be18ebd.jpg

Like you said, you do have more variety with that technique, but I like mine to look very clean, and that I can't do without some guidance of a block. It's what I'm used to I suppose.
I'm like a bull in a china shop in general so that doesn't help either if you're trying to get the things all symmetrical.

Eh, live and learn they say :)

Sorry if this is of topic guys, but it's so interesting ( to me at least ;) )

Moon, that's awesome. Yet again. Love the look!

EstherWeis

Vendor
Everyone is totally style'in today. Great lids all around. Esther, that's my favorite hat I've seen you in.

Thank you! Is it because it's girly ? :)
I' more of a wide brim kind of girl. Yet i have the luxury to change it up from time to time.

Great hat you've got there! And such great hair!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
MAN, Moon! Majestic!!!

thank you sir ...

I'm really loving how it came out ... I always continue to fiddle with shapes a bit ... but it's off to a good start I think

Great lid, moon. You wear it well.

thank you Bama ... very much enjoying it

Moon great Strat, a different hue in every light.
Was the pin that bad, you threw it away?

thanks brother ... yeah the color does photograph strange as greens and greys often do

I never leave the pin on any of my Strats... I feel that it cheapens the look a bit
I do keep them though ... they are all stuck into a foam head that sits on a book shelf in my home studio

Moon—very nice—it's you.

thanks Foamy
great style on that CD !

Moon, that's awesome. Yet again. Love the look!

thanks Esther

means a lot coming from a woman of great taste and style

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I liked the look of the western curl on this stiff modern open road, just not the way it looked on me. So I'm wearing it today, with the brim tamed a bit.

1df124cc079b5ab9892e847ce911f90d.jpg
0e3a2cdc26c076c734aa1219aab2482f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou