Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Old photo of my dad.
40000_1568657302232_1409441092_1536935_1911759_n.jpg

Great photo, Dinerman. I'd love to have photos like this of my father! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
Old photo of my dad.
40000_1568657302232_1409441092_1536935_1911759_n.jpg
He looks like he could have been part of my high school class of '71. Not that he was, just of my same vintage. So strange to see a picture like that described as old picture of my Dad, when it applies to my own youth. I remember pictures of my Dad, and they seemed 100 years old. This doesn't look so old.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
Mario, I reappeared just yesterday, quietly enough - but I have already posted two pics... easy to go unnoticed among such fine company, though. ;)

Oh. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention over the last couple of days. First I was renovating a flat and then I had a nice little cable fire on sunday evening which -among other things - killed my TV, so I got a bit distracted... :( :rolleyes:

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Hi again!

First of all, thank you for the warm welcome.:)

As I mentioned, straw is more like it these days. Today I wore my recreased cuencano:

DSC00219bbb.jpg

I selected a skinny bow tie, because the jacket lapels are on the narrow side. The hat has a 2'' brim, so I think there is some of a 60's vibe there...

Looking good as always, Torpedo.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Newly-arrived circa-1950 Stetson 3X/Suede Finish.[/IMG]

Interesting finish. This suede looks very much like the velour finish on my old Borsalino Colombo. With less luster, perhaps. I wonder if they have a similar handle as well. Nice hat. :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
Great shirt too! Is that the classic "Land of Aloha" shirt? I have a variation on that one in my closet.

Great eye, Mr E Train! :eusa_clap It is indeed the "Land of Aloha" shirt (as featured in Dale Hope's "The Aloha Shirt" book). :)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
Interesting finish. This suede looks very much like the velour finish on my old Borsalino Colombo. With less luster, perhaps. I wonder if they have a similar handle as well. Nice hat. :)

Thanks, zetwal. This finish is not what I think of as velour, which, to my way of thinking, would have a slightly longer nap. But, man -- it does feel amazing. I would love to know how this finish is actually accomplished.

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
danofarlington said:
He looks like he could have been part of my high school class of '71. Not that he was, just of my same vintage. So strange to see a picture like that described as old picture of my Dad, when it applies to my own youth. I remember pictures of my Dad, and they seemed 100 years old. This doesn't look so old.

Goes to show even the hippies that seem so maligned on this site had an eye for good '30s vintage even if they wore it differently.

Here he is, around 1975/6- with a '70s rocker look, but all vintage stuff. Patched worn to death WWII USN dungarees, a '30s-ish suit vest (the stories he has to tell of finding '30s suits in stacks in inner-city thrift shops in the '70s) and his grandfather's orange tinted sunglasses, which we still have.

40604_1559179265287_1409441092_1511584_337017_n.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Good stuff, Dinerman. Great that you and your dad are on the same wavelength. Know him all you can while you've got him!

--------------

Thanks guys for the remarks about the Eagle and the shirt combo! :)

--------------

rlk: Nicki was as if she were staring at a train wreck. Wanted to, but couldn't look away... lol :D

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, zetwal. This finish is not what I think of as velour, which, to my way of thinking, would have a slightly longer nap. But, man -- it does feel amazing. I would love to know how this finish is actually accomplished.

It occures to me now that Borsa I'm thinking of may not be a velour either. It doesn't actually say "velour" on the sweatband. I just always thought of it as velour. Maybe I'm wrong. In any case, the nap isn't long, just kind of like velvet. I'll post a pic so you can see it. I'm not sure what kind of finish it is, really. One could be temped to say "pesca" but that's not written on there either, as is the case with some hats. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR