Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice ones!!!

I'm going with my D Bar J today. Here's a Short Balding Guy inspired shot:

034aq.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Casechopper, I just had to add that the Carmack is an awesome looking hat! He is still selling on Ebay. I often stare at his listings because I've had so much fun playing with the grey one I already own. I agree, however, that it would be awesome to have some vintage grosgrain on there. That and the glue must be why he can sell at that price point.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bowlerman,
It is a nice hat. He was relatively accommodating. I did recommend that he start stitching the sweatbands and bows and he didn't seem too interested. He did stitch the sweat on this one for me for an extra $10 but it wasn't very even and sweat bleeds through to the ribbon faster than any other hat I've ever had. I'd also asked for rust and he confirmed he would send rust but instead it was whiskey colored. He wrote the following to me last year:

I only make $35.00 on a hat. The 100% bodys cost $100.00 then there is the sweatband and the liner that I also make. as for as the ribbon, that is all I can fine and I don't even charge for that. I saw in the western horeman where their was a custom hatter that sold around 165 hats a year. I have sold over 1200 in the last year. They get there bodys from the same place I do. I don't understand why it takes them 6 or 8 weeks to make a hat. I can make one in 2 days and make 3 more at the same time if I realy want too. I am not a custom hatter, My hats is homemade and I have never called a hat I made custom. I do this for fun, I have always liked shaping old hats. Any way you take care. Charles

In general I'd say that with his hats you get a great deal as long as you're not too picky. You'll get a fantastic hat body with limited pouncing, cheap ribbon and sweatband and if you ask for custom touches (such as brim size and color) you may not get what you ask for (I'd ordered a previous hat with a 3.5" brim and it came with a 4" brim). With this hat I'll wear it until it's pretty beat and then get a new sweatband and ribbon, clean it up and have a much nicer hat at that time.
The

Neophyte

Vintage "Joicy of Baltimore", a recent Ebay win. I've only seen one other Joicy on the Lounge, a Panama. More in the Ebay thread.

Joicy6-1.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Robert and Alan, outstanding Hats! Both looks great!

gtdean, this Blue Smoke is a wonderful Hat!

Jeff, nice photo and Hat!

J.T, looks good on you, you are the right for the open roads!

Jaunty,the Stetson looks good on you.

Alex, I like the new one, looks good with brim up!

Case, cool Hat, wonderful ribbon work!

B.J, nice outfit, suit and Hat, perfect!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
70'F and humid already at 7:30am in Minnesota, USA. I wore my board shorts for the walk with the dogs this morning. Half way, at the public beach, the dogs and I went for a swim in the water. Back home planning my day.

IMG2529-M.jpg

The Hydrangea's are in bloom. Pretty blossoms.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Robert and Alan, outstanding Hats! Both looks great!
gtdean, this Blue Smoke is a wonderful Hat!
Jeff, nice photo and Hat!
J.T, looks good on you, you are the right for the open roads!
Jaunty,the Stetson looks good on you.
Alex, I like the new one, looks good with brim up!
Case, cool Hat, wonderful ribbon work!
B.J, nice outfit, suit and Hat, perfect!

+1 folks. Nice hats and thanks for sharing. Eric -

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Eric, nice morning for you, dog walk, swimming, that sounds good. The Hat, you wear, fantastic!

I was on a flea market today and I found a nice new Panama, I thought, 2 EUR is a good investment and I shaped it
in a Homburger shape. I like that plantations Hat look!

wear132.jpg

Neophyte

B.J. that personalized Campdraft is great. Is it the Imperial or Heritage variation?

Eric, great pics! Which hat is that? I haven't seen it before.

Chepstow, I also like the plantation hat look. Great job on the reshaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy