Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

citRon

A-List Customer
Tawny Fed 4; Christmas pageant at my youngest daughter's pre-school. Iris (pictured) portrayed a cow.

dsc_0054.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Green Royal Stetson

It's the perfect time of year for a green lid (according to johnnyphi, the official Stetson color on this one is "Holly")...:)

And yes, Virginia, no teardrop crease on this one...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

GreenRS.jpg

GreenRS2.jpg

GreenRS3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jimmy, thats a really nice hat, but that band!?! Is it a layered band or is it differing ribbons sewn together to form the large one? Its classy for sure!

Mr. Paladin

Nice photo, citRon. Nice to see all the family shots with kids and homes decorated for Christmas. It is truly a great time of the year.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Jimmy, thats a really nice hat, but that band!?! Is it a layered band or is it differing ribbons sewn together to form the large one? Its classy for sure!

Thanks, gents. Mr. P, it's all one ribbon. It is almost impossible to describe the color of the ribbon, as it is actually irridescent, and reflects different colors (shades of green and indigo) depending on the lighting. You can see the variations in the daylight photos I posted above. Here is a different view of the ribbon (indoor lighting):

GreenRSRibbon.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

bolthead

jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, gents. Mr. P, it's all one ribbon. It is almost impossible to describe the color of the ribbon, as it is actually irridescent, and reflects different colors (shades of green and indigo) depending on the lighting. You can see the variations in the daylight photos I posted above. Here is a different view of the ribbon (indoor lighting):

GreenRSRibbon.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
I'm definitely gonna try and duplicate that Ribbon on one of my Lids. I seen a few in Johnny's collection, they'e Awesome......:eusa_clap

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy, that green Stetson is one of the nicest looking out of the whole Johnnyphi lot, and that hat was stowed away with a whole lot of wonderful hats.:eusa_clap I gotta ask Jimmy, your hats all seem to have such a great bent down brim in the front. It looks so great on all your lids, do you bend them down alittle extra or is that how they naturally snap down? Maybe its just the angle the picture is taken from, but it sure looks classic

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
Jimmy, that green Stetson is one of the nicest looking out of the whole Johnnyphi lot, and that hat was stowed away with a whole lot of wonderful hats.:eusa_clap I gotta ask Jimmy, your hats all seem to have such a great bent down brim in the front. It looks so great on all your lids, do you bend them down alittle extra or is that how they naturally snap down? Maybe its just the angle the picture is taken from, but it sure looks classic

Many thanks, Bart.

As far as the brim goes, another Lounger PM'd me a few days ago with that exact question. So, I have an answer all ready to go! ;) I will say that, on the green lid, I didn't have to do anything in terms of shaping the brim. From time to time, however, I find that the front of the brim rides up a bit high and flat, and doesn't really swoop down the way I would like it to. Here's what I do:

1. First, you are going to need a source of steam and proximity to a mirror -- all at once!

2. I have a hand-held steamer, so I make a few passes around the underside of the brim -- just the front part of the hat. I use just enough steam for the felt to soften a bit -- but not enough for the brim to really lose its shape and become droopy.

3. Once I have done the steam, I quickly put the hat on my head in front of a mirror. Then I take both hands and grab both sides of the brim, just above my ears. Fingers are flat and extended on top of the brim. Thumbs are fully extended under the brim. Using light pressure, grip the brim between the extended fingers on top and the extended thumbs underneath (forming a kind of vise across the brim).

4. Now, in one smooth motion, simply slide both hands toward the front of the hat (each hand travels from the ear to halfway around the front of the brim on either side). While you are doing this, you are looking at the hat in the mirror and swooping the brim just as you would like to have it. I generally repeat the sweep of the hands around the brim two or three times to kind of train the felt.

5. If the brim isn't quite where you want it, then repeat the process. I find that, after a couple of times, the brim swoops perfectly. And, because you have shaped the brim while looking at yourself in the mirror, you have shaped it just the way you want it to look.

Hope that helps! :)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Today I wore the green Knox Fifteen, Tom 'n' Jerry that arrived in yesterday's mail:
:D :D :D

DSC_0026.jpg

Holy Smoke, Gene!!! I just got finished hitting the "Submit" button on my last post and in the meantime that new Knox Tom n' Jerry of yours showed up. That lid is just absolutely stunning. Wow. Looks to be in beautiful condition, as well. Congrats on a super lid! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy