Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScionPI2005 said:
I went to a friend's wedding today, and wore my new suit (a gift for college graduation) along with my Adam Executive fedora./QUOTE]

Scion, that is a very nice hat-suit combo. Very well-dressed.

Mr. Paladin

I wore my Stetson Hampton for church today:

Hampton003.jpg

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
The Conley Chatham

carter said:
Splitcoil, That one calls for some close-ups. Can you post some?
Sure enough. Front and profile--
chat-conclose1.jpg

chat-conclose2.jpg

I tried to get some close-ups of the binding, but the spiteful little digicam I'm working with refuses to focus close-up. Mr. Conley warned me, looking at the bound VS I wore into the shop when dropping off the Chatham, that he didn't have the machine to do the nice, tidy type of binding that we're accustomed to. In fact, he all but told me that considering how much he'd charge me, I'd be crazy to have him bind the brim. Went ahead with it anyway. Long story short, it still looks good to me since thread and binding match the felt color, but you can see stitching running parallel to the binding round the top of the brim if you look closely. I just wouldn't have him do a lighter colored hat, or a contrasting binding color.

The work he did on the hat amounted to more than I paid for the original hat ($70-something from the outlet for the hat, over $100 for everything he did to the hat), but I was sentimentally attached to it and wanted to get it into wearable shape again. I suspect I could have talked him down on the work if I'd tried, but I enjoyed talking to him and figured I could afford it, so what the heck. Conley spent summers as a young man visiting cousins that lived in the same town in Alabama where I spent many years as a young man myself. Hearing his stories about bootlegging and changing times there decades before I was born made it worth the markup. It felt good to be able to get the work done locally as well.

We found the ribbon literally by digging around in cardboard boxes littering the floor of his shop. It wasn't what I had in mind originally, but when I saw it, the imp of the perverse took over and I knew it was the right one. He added a wind trolley for me as well, and matched the color to the ribbon perfectly.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mr Douglas - Skinny, poop, etc.?

scotrace said:
Nice hat - what's the story on that fine jacket?
Mr Race asked this already but I'm throwing my hat in the ring also...could you please provide a poop sheet on that double throw-back jacket?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nigel -- that's a great photo and a great look. (Sure you don't want to add a bit of swoop to that brim? ;) )

Indycop -- that's a great photo.

Vman -- nice Stetson

Mr. P -- that lid goes nicely with the overall outfit (I still like a bit less taper on you, however -- a la your new Campdraft).

Well done!

Cheers,
JtL

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Splitcoil, You are your own man, and not afraid to explore new territory. In this case, it looks like you found a winning look!

daizawaguy, Dusty pink doesn't really show in the pic, but the shape is great! I've considered a pink hat, haven't got one, yet.

frijoli, Two fine examples. Looking good, quite good.

bolthead, Really sharp Selentino! Is that one of the Czech labels?

HarpPlayerGene, The silver topping on that dark suit is perfect.

indycop, Now there's a picture that says, "I'm watching you , perp." And it says it with style!

Nigel, Fantastic hat, but please tell me there are trout in that stream!

Viper Man, Another beautiful example of how to wear brown with black!

Mr. Paladin, Tasteful! Two things I encourage people to do: wear hats and go to church (not exactly in that order).

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Thanks, gents.

So many beautiful hats here, I get lost paging through this thread.

I'm happy with how the Chatham came out. I've always like the hat, but thought the proportions Stetson gave it were all wrong. The shape of the crown goes much better with a stingy brim and wide ribbon, I think.

Mr. Paladin

Goose. said:
Paladin...you always look so happy...I want whatever your drinking ;)

Nice hats, good job, GREAT wife, and just enough single malt to make me always appreciative! (try Laphroig; its the best!)

Topped with a massive dose of Grace!

Mr. Paladin

J.T.Marcus said:
Stetson Windham. It has a combination bound and over-welt brim. (The only model I've ever seen with that treatment.)

P1070267.jpg

JT, that is a great hat and tie combo. Never saw a tie like that before. Looks great with that jacket and hat.

Whoa! Is that a feather I see? :eek: :)

Mr. Paladin

jimmy the lid said:
Mr. P -- that lid goes nicely with the overall outfit (I still like a bit less taper on you, however -- a la your new Campdraft).

Oh, I'm still working on what new "no taper" version to order next! I took you all seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24