Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Renna
IMG_1627.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Looks like fun!
A bad day pickin beats the best day of…guitarlessness!
Playing guitar used to be a huge part of my existence, but now it’s just a good way to spend quality time with family and friends.
I have three nephews that are involved in music and picking in big ways. Two are in prolific contemporary Bluegrass bands and one is a song minister in a fairly large Church—the nephew in the photo.
Runs in the family, I guess.

Mighty44

One Too Many
A bad day pickin beats the best day of…guitarlessness!
Playing guitar used to be a huge part of my existence, but now it’s just a good way to spend quality time with family and friends.
I have three nephews that are involved in music and picking in big ways. Two are in prolific contemporary Bluegrass bands and one is a song minister in a fairly large Church—the nephew in the photo.
Runs in the family, I guess.
Nice! I still play in a sloppy three-chord rock band but my retirement plan is still to get a good acoustic and really learn how to play. ;)

Granville

One of the Regulars
Ash Wednesday and a black Royal Stetson. I call this one the Green Hornet, because it turns a subtle shade of green in direct sunlight. Also works for March 17. So I found an old St. Paddy's Day lapel pin (it had an ancient bit of ribbon on it) and stuck it in the bow.
Stetson Green Hornet profile.jpg

Harp Pin1.jpg

Cool Copper-Colored Lining. very light-weight (faux-leather sweat?) and a little stiff.
StetsonLogoTip.jpeg

Attachments

• stetsonTag1.jpeg
    stetsonTag1.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 15

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Nice! I still play in a sloppy three-chord rock band but my retirement plan is still to get a good acoustic and really learn how to play. ;)
I’d love to hear your “sloppy band” and I’d bet you don’t need to learn a thing.
Please send me a link in a PM so I can enjoy some good Rock! I’m a big fan of most anything from the 70s.
Do y’all do any tunes from that era?

Sunny day and temperatures above the seasonal average, here in the north-east of Italy.
View attachment 589921 Conversion from a women's Borsalino to a men's hat by Fleur, hatter of Penumbra Hats in Netherland.
View attachment 589922
The plus of this hat is the velour felt in blue and its malleability.
Bought cheaply in the States, it had its conversion a few years ago.
View attachment 589923
The discussion for its new shape was brief with Fleur: the oversized brims were used to obtain a size suitable for my head and the rest came by itself.
Matching ribbon as well as the hems of the brims.
View attachment 589924
I watched, without participating, in the parade of beautiful hats, but some physical problem kept me away from hats, walks and normal life.
The sun is back to bring new/old hats to life that need dusting off.
What a beautiful hat, Daniele.

I feel like I owe all you folks an apology for the hat I'm posting today. This is SO far below the level of overall excellence you people exhibit every day, that I am almost ashamed to show it. (But I ran out of shame about 40 years ago AND I can relate some entertaining background about the hat.)

This one has no lining, no tags, no writing under the headband, and whatever embossing used to adorn the as-of-yet unidentified logo, wore off decades ago. The felt is mediocre at best, although the ribbon and wide headband are nice touches.

I acquired this hat in some long-forgotten antique store, in some small town in Oregon or Washington, during a two-week driving vacation in '97 or '98. I keep it, and have a fond spot for it, because it epitomizes, to me, the kind of bargain-priced fedora a farmer would have worn while hitched to a plow behind his mule. He'd probably brush off the same hat on Sunday for going to church, then clap it back on his head Monday before the sun was up. Which is why, in my mental filing cabinet, this is referred to as my "No name farmer's fedora."

Please don't stone me...:)

View attachment 590119 View attachment 590120 View attachment 590121
Really cool sweat impression. A lot of character on that one!

IMG_20240213_171413658_PORTRAIT Copy.jpeg

Adam Executive - XLX Strand G
Light Grey Brown - Taupe Felt
Approx 4 3/4 Crown as shaped (about 5 3/4 Open)
2 3/4 Brim with 1/2 Grosgrain Binding
1 7/8 Pewter Grosgrain Ribbon

I received a perfectly timed and much appreciated heads up about this hat from @deadlyhandsome and I was able to lock in a lightning fast Buy it Now for this Super Cool Adam Executive “XLX Strand G”. It has essentially a somewhat bigger proportioned Whippet styling. With a 2 3/4 Brim featuring a full half inch of brim binding. I believe not quite as wide binding as say a Stetson Vogue or some iteration of Stetsonian… but a tad wider than the usual 3/8 on most whippets. A beautiful big full crown at about 5 3/4 open. The hat has a wind trolley that appears to be still tacked into place with a stitch.

I was really interested to see what color this hat would be in person. As the seller listed it as brown…. But the photos were Maybe a silver grey. When I opened the box it presented as a medium tan/grey. As I moved it into more light it appeared a more light tan grey. In full sun… a more light to silver grey. Considering the chameleon like color shifter on the tan grey spectrum… I’m going with Taupe.

It was fairly clean upon arrival.. just gave it an overall brushing and a bit of steam to shape up the crown. Thanks so much from thinking of me, Brent… this beauty has definitely found a home.

IMG_6083.jpeg
IMG_6085.jpeg
IMG_6084.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 590398

I received a perfectly timed and much appreciated heads up about this hat from @deadlyhandsome and I was able to lock in a lightning fast Buy it Now for this Super Cool Adam Executive “XLX Strand G”. It has essentially a somewhat bigger proportioned Whippet styling. With a 2 3/4 Brim featuring a full half inch of brim binding. I believe not quite as wide binding as say a Stetson Vogue or some iteration of Stetsonian… but a tad wider than the usual 3/8 on most whippets. A beautiful big full crown at about 5 3/4 open. The hat has a wind trolley that appears to be still tacked into place with a stitch.

I was really interested to see what color this hat would be in person. As the seller listed it as brown…. But the photos were Maybe a silver grey. When I opened the box it presented as a medium tan/grey. As I moved it into more light it appeared a more light tan grey. In full sun… a more light to silver grey. Considering the chameleon like color shifter on the tan grey spectrum… I’m going with Taupe.

It was fairly clean upon arrival.. just gave it an overall brushing and a bit of steam to shape up the crown. Thanks so much from thinking of me, Brent… this beauty has definitely found a home.

View attachment 590399 View attachment 590400 View attachment 590401

Woah Yo Yo Ma!
Mucho fino, Joe!

VoodooSan

Practically Family
View attachment 590398

View attachment 590399 View attachment 590400 View attachment 590401
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!

VoodooSan

Practically Family
This one's only been mine for a couple of weeks, and today's daily walk was its first time out. What I believe to be a late 50s, early 60s Resistol, with a bound edge, in what I would call sage. This originally came from a clothing store in Monroe, LA, that I know existed at least from 1946 to 1976.

Gorgeous color, IMO, and perfect for walking a tree-shaded trail.

Resistol L50s E60s sage 1.jpg
Resistol L50s E60s sage 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred