Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a "collar stand"?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A collar has two basic components: Stand (band) and leaf. Whether made with one or two piece construction the stand/band refers to the point where the collar is folded. Stand/band height (front and rear) is integral to a proper collar fit, no matter the garment.

581_the-anatomy-of-a-dress-shirt.jpg.gif

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
To visualize a collar stand, think Mandarin collar, or, on a motorcycle jacket, a cafe racer type collar. That would be the collar stand in a jacket in which a stand is used. The collar is then attached to the stand. A simpler construction method is to attach the collar directly to the body of the jacket. The collar itself would serve as a stand as it comes up from the jacket body.

Some A-2s used the collar stand construction and others just attached directly to the body of the jacket. The difference isn't readily apparent unless one is looking at the specific type of collar construction used in a particular jacket. Nothing to be overly concerned with.

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's a strip of leather roughly 1 inch wide, (with lining) between the collar proper and the body of the jacket. It simply served to raise the collar up some, and prevent it from curling under which looks shabby. I think they did away with them eventually to save time and material in constructing A2s in large quantities.
More info here,.....
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/A-2_Horsehide_Leather_Flight_Jacket_Stand.htm
[/I]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner