Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a Panama "reinforced brim edge"?

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I often see this on ebay and on online sites. The ad text says the edge of the brim is reinforced - but not how. Does it mean turned under and sewn, or backwoven, or something else entirely, or nothing at all? Thanks!

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
This is of interest to me. While in Sydney, Australia last November I splurged and went to Strand Hatters, near The Rocks. I ended up buying not a Panama, but a Balibuntal. It has a very thin, flat, type of wire or malleable metal inside the brim edge.

I was surprised to find out later the darn thing was apparently made in the USA.

After travelling around Australia and New Zealand, the hat ended up in the closet awaiting the Northern Hemisphere Summer. I just took it out the other day and was disappointed to find the brim is slightly warped (not just the edge, but one sector of the brim - previously the whole thing was quite crisply flattened, all the way around.)

Greg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Balibuntals

Shanghailander said:
This is of interest to me. While in Sydney, Australia last November I splurged and went to Strand Hatters, near The Rocks. I ended up buying not a Panama, but a Balibuntal. It has a very thin, flat, type of wire or malleable metal inside the brim edge.

I was surprised to find out later the darn thing was apparently made in the USA.

After travelling around Australia and New Zealand, the hat ended up in the closet awaiting the Northern Hemisphere Summer. I just took it out the other day and was disappointed to find the brim is slightly warped (not just the edge, but one sector of the brim - previously the whole thing was quite crisply flattened, all the way around.)

Greg

They used to sell great Balibuntals around the drugstores/chemists for AUD30 but no more...Strand Hatters is the place. Eventually the wire gives up as well from all the punishment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner