Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is going on with this site???

It has been slow for me for several weeks now. I checked with Nathan and he said it was working fine from his end, so I figured it was just me. Although other sites work fine.

It’s not just you. The site has been horrible for weeks. Sometimes it works normally, but it doesn’t last long. We are losing members due to the user experience.

The site has had problems before, but this is getting to be a dealbreaker for me. I’ve exchanged emails with friends here so we can still keep in touch while the site is glitching, unreliable, or just plain broken. Hard to see how @Nathan Flowers could say it’s working fine.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It’s not just you. The site has been horrible for weeks. Sometimes it works normally, but it doesn’t last long. We are losing members due to the user experience.

The site has had problems before, but this is getting to be a dealbreaker for me. I’ve exchanged emails with friends here so we can still keep in touch while the site is glitching, unreliable, or just plain broken. Hard to see how @Nathan Flowers could say it’s working fine.
Pretty much this. Folks will stop engaging if they can’t load the site. It’s been horrible here as of late. Takes forever just to load a thread.

Ditto for typing a reply.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I noticed somewhere, perhaps in the Jackets area, there were "Part 1 and Part 2" threads. While it doesn't seem likely it would be related to the current, rather erratic access and page loads, I wonder if, as we each access threads, and each thread has to then reference or link back to thousands of previous pages and probably tens of thousands of pictures, that maybe it is to the point that the collective TFL site is getting bogged down.

Just a suggestion, but maybe it is time to archive some of the larger threads (What Hat are You Wearing Today Part 1), hold back 1 year(?) as an overlap, and start a What Hat Part 2. The Part 1's would still be available, of course, but they would not require the constant access (and computing horsepower) of the new, smaller Part 2 threads.

Just a thought.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I noticed somewhere, perhaps in the Jackets area, there were "Part 1 and Part 2" threads. While it doesn't seem likely it would be related to the current, rather erratic access and page loads, I wonder if, as we each access threads, and each thread has to then reference or link back to thousands of previous pages and probably tens of thousands of pictures, that maybe it is to the point that the collective TFL site is getting bogged down.

Just a suggestion, but maybe it is time to archive some of the larger threads (What Hat are You Wearing Today Part 1), hold back 1 year(?) as an overlap, and start a What Hat Part 2. The Part 1's would still be available, of course, but they would not require the constant access (and computing horsepower) of the new, smaller Part 2 threads.

Just a thought.
We are on part 2 right now. The first post of this thread began part 2.
B

Mcox47

Familiar Face

Just a thought.
I would be OK with that if it helps; however, there is also the issue of content. I know many of the hat people also are interested in vintage clothing but, based on the classified ads this site could be split into the Fedora Lounge and the Leather Jacket Lounge. That would probably cut down on a large part of the "non-member/seller" visits. As I write this there are 43 members on against 902 visitors. Not trying to discourage visitors, but maybe we could redirect some of the heavy non-hat traffic?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Since it's not costing me anything to use the site I've tried to be patient and diplomatic, but I agree that after more than month's worth of problems it is frustrating that the issue(s) hasn't been resolved, the user experience is as bad as ever, and the overall lack of communication is frustrating.

While no tech wiz I am of the mind that is also is hardware/server problem as well as an advertisement problem. This is the only site that I visit that has an issue with loading. I don't think it's a thread content issue, because many times I can't even access the main homepage to even log in.

This also is the only site that has almost 100 cookies/sites tracking me, whereas everywhere else is typically less than 30:
TFL.png

Seems kind of shady to me, but I don't know how that compares to the amount of tracking that existed before the problems started to manifest several weeks ago.

ClaytonMoore

New in Town
I think it was a server issue, I remember it taking me 10 minutes or so just to view a page. Now thankfully the site is fast and usable again, with the issue being resolved at least as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Slow as a three-legged, asthmatic mule. We're on it and it should be fixed soon.
This is the Boss Man speaking.
He knows his baby is sick.

I doubt any of us know enough about the technical aspects of this site’s hardware, software, usage, on and on to fix anything.
I do know the baby was fine until a couple months ago then it got sick. A doctor would ask what changed then and monitor symptoms.
The symptoms we all have reported are cyclic but erratic.
One important commonality is that the baby is fine for short periods of time then starts pucking everywhere over and over throughout the day.
A sharp doctor would look at what keeps changing at what time in what part of the world throughout the day to make the baby sick.
When the sun comes up in the eastern USA the baby is healthy nearly every day until about lunch, since it got sick.

I find this significant, cyclic, repetitively static until lunch, thus diagnosable.
B

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
Noob here. I first visited the site a few months ago and it was working fine. Pages loaded quickly and no crashes. Since I signed up a month or so ago, it has more often not worked correctly. I'm typing this at 0947 on 10/1 and it is taking me ~25 s for a new page to load. Frustrating and certainly can't help the members and end users. I posted my first classified yesterday and it took almost an hour to get the ad and photos to upload. I use Firefox and Chrome with similar performance. I am not having this issue on any other sites.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Try your browser safety settings.

I think that if I have to decrease my security level, the website is not worth using. My security settings do not affect any other websites. There could be no reason for a website which requires less security. Why? In the world where we are constantly trying to increase safety, and not get hacked; who would want to go online to a website with less security?

The site has had problems before, but this is getting to be a dealbreaker for me...
This is the first time I've been able to get onto the site for about a week now. If the main page doesn't immediately start to load, I'm off to do whatever I should be doing because for the last couple of months (I think) I've waited as long as 20 minutes for pages to load, and right now, as much as I enjoy The Lounge, I just can't waste that much time.

That said, I have faith that Nathan Flowers (or whomever) will resolve the issue eventually, and we'll all be back and happy until the next time it happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy