Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Shantung????

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've seen hats that say they are "Genuine Shantung". They look like a panama hat and are sometimes advertised as such, but I doubt they were made in Ecuador. Is Shantung another name for "Cheap Panama Knockoff"????

regards fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Rich,
Shantung is the Chinese version but if I remember my history is was developed by Resistol to make a cheaper hat for the masses and is actually a form of paper that is laquered up ( as opposed to liquered up) and stiff as a board. I have tried to renovate a couple and wasn't successful and left myself asking ( Why in the world did I do that??) If all else fail, you can drive nails with it.)

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I believe shantung hats are that whiter-than-white color than sometimes works, depending on the style, and other times looks like a cheap imitation of a Panama hat. If you can get one cheap (in California, Nordstrom's Rack -- the outlet version of Nordstrom's department store -- carries the overstock shantung hats that Bailey puts out for $20), then fine. It will get you through the summer.

Butters

New in Town
Yeah, too bad the biggest thing nordstrom rack carries is around a 7 3/8 (they were large) i think. I was going to buy one for working in the yard... not everyone has a small head! or relatively small for me.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Shantung is the old spelling of Shandong, a province in North Eastern China. The straw that comes from there is thick and cheap and often coated with a clear laquer so the hat can be mass produced cheaply with auto presses.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou