Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the name for "Lightweight Canvas"

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm posting this here because I want to make a garment from this cloth.

Asking on behalf of myself and "Creeping Past":

Canvas- the "lighter weight" variety, that looks like a very heavy Poplin(actually, Poplin doesn't have a plain weave, it has a horizontal rib, if you look close enough), with a tight weave, as opposed to the "Heavier" variety, which is chunkier in yarn and appearance- what is it called..?

Old style canvas fly tents are made from this lightweight canvas, old outdoor clothing, etc.
It was used for wind-proof type garments, such as Anoraks.

I always thought the lighter one was called "Cotton Duck" but now, everywhere I look, I see the heavy variety named as Canvas Duck.

When I lived in Auckland, NZ., there used to be a great Army Surplus store, with a "Tent and Canvas" shop attached, which sold canvas cloth of all varieties- the lighter quality I seek was "Cotton Duck" but I don't recall how the heavier quality was referenced by name.

Is it that the only way to differentiate the "light" from the "heavy" quality is by weight? - the lighter up to about 8oz, or so.

It seems it may be one of these cases of the name getting swallowed,
or lost, through the cloth being replaced by more modern and technical textiles.

I really don't know.

A definitive answer would perhaps solve an ongoing sourcing riddle.

Thanks,

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Mjr. Nick.

Thanks Rumblefish- drill is not what I'm after- it has a diagonal "twill",
like Khakis. Canvas has a weave with a flat, even texture.

The stuff I'm after was used for outdoor gear and sailors work uniforms in the 19th and up to mid 2th Century. Sometimes lighter weight, older Rucksacks are made from it.

Artist's canvas looks like the heavier stuff that I don't want.
Think old fly tents.

Part of the problem is looking at photos on the internet- when you see a close-up of the cloth, it's very difficult to tell what grade of cloth you're looking at, without some kind of scale, or context to gauge the size and courseness of the cloth.

B
T

shortbow

Practically Family
Only thing I can contribute is that in the old accounts I've read, the term "Egyptian Cotton" is used when discussing lightweight tent material.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the help- I've seen the Weavers web site- same descriptions as I've seen on other sites.

Egyptian cotton is something I need to look into further-
it is supposed to be the base for treated cloths, such as the "waxed"
jackets and coats- Barbour, Belstaff, etc.

But the cloth I'm after is not a premium, nor an expensive cloth.

I think I'm approaching this the wrong way...

I need to acquire some swatches, or sample cards- put names to faces.
A police line-up.

B
T

benstephens

Practically Family
BT,

The only references I can find are too different weights of canvas, Ie 10oz etc, these are in some of my old scouting and tent adverts. Other than that I have drawn a bit of a blank,

sorry,

Ben

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Seventy pounds worth of Brown Denim.But damn, it looks great!

It's an investment. It will outlast/look better than ten cheap reasonably good looking modern shirts, if you can find 'em.
Most of the expensive shoes/stuff I bought, repro or vintage, has been well worth it.
Good cheap vintage is hard to find. Cheap new stuff, I really like Pointer Brand.

Missed you on the latest Hillwalkers Gallery updates.

Hope you're still walking.

M.M.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mysterious Mose said:
Seventy pounds worth of Brown Denim.But damn, it looks great!

It's an investment. It will outlast/look better than ten cheap reasonably good looking modern shirts, if you can find 'em.
Most of the expensive shoes/stuff I bought, repro or vintage, has been well worth it.
Good cheap vintage is hard to find. Cheap new stuff, I really like Pointer Brand.

Missed you on the latest Hillwalkers Gallery updates.

Hope you're still walking.

M.M.

Currently walking alone. But I hope to join my hillwalking pals again soon.

I've Babelfished that Buzz Rickson brown denim and discovered that their L would be S on me. Maybe they'll get some proper men's sizes out there in time...

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
I'm 6'1", size 40 jacket, 34 waist, that's Ralph Lauren XS. He makes some great knitwear that's always way too big for me. You can find real bargains on Ebay.

Walking alone's nice, I do it all the time, but I had the pleasure of being in Danger Bill's company a few times in the 90's and I can imagine his company adding a lot to the experience. That, and the hills.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I remember seeing the Brown Denim Trousers and Pullover, a few years ago, in a BR catalogue. I was reminded of the British Brown Denim, used in work wear and some prison uniforms/fatigues. This brown denim is the same as the Wartime British Denim in Olive/Brown and the later olive colours.... but Brown.

I have a pair of Brown Denim Works Trousers, CC41/1940s.

See here...

Denim_1.jpg

Denim_2.jpg

Denim_3.jpg

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Yeah, these look marvellous! You mentioned turning them into plus four/six/eights, right?

Btw. the rucksack and creel I mentioned is pretty much like Carhartt's duck.
I suppose that's not what you're looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy