Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your expertise?

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Special expertise: Our business is income real estate; our private investments are in stocks. We are comfortable investing in either area. I am a graduate of the Gemological Institute of Amrerica and hold the GG designation. Additionally, I hold teaching rank in Kung Fu San Soo, Valencia Lameco Knife, and Defensive Shooting.

Developing expertise: International style ballroom dancing (since 2002), Vintage penmanship (esp. Spencerian), foreign languages (recent).

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Wine, relatively. There's always more to know, but it's my profession, passion, hobby, interest, and favorite medium of art.

Writing. I'm a brilliant writer, or at least, can be, and I know it obviously. I've been doing it since I was very, very small. It's how I think and encounter the world first.

Music, more or less. Like wine, there is always more to know, but my knowledge of certain genres is quite deep.

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and the Buffy Universe. Especially theory and philosophy.

'The Sandman' books by Neil Gaiman.

Chickpea

Familiar Face
*The mysterious and exciting field of crop circles.
Brought my entire family with me to Wiltshire, England, last summer to visit and investigate this weird wonder.

206507366_48b3f710ff.jpg

206507367_e2cd30248c.jpg

*Sewing. Part of my income is from designing and sewing.

101819828_156a7e2bb6.jpg

*I´m very good at matching colors and fabrics. I can instantly tell if something is going to work or not.

dnjan

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
How to make the same jar of Christmas mincemeat last 6 years.

Badgers
Perhaps I'm missing something, but other than through loss or breakage, how would the average person not make a jar of Christmas mincemeat last indefinitely?

Back on-topic:

Professionally, I am an educator in the area of construction materials (with specific expertise in portland cement concrete).

(asleep yet?)

By hobby, I am a woodworker and former leatherworker.

By interest, I am working on developing appreciation (but nothing close to expertise) of Northwest wines and beers.

I am also an amateur (and silent) critic of the female form.
(aren't most guys?)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
dnjan said:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but other than through loss or breakage, how would the average person not make a jar of Christmas mincemeat last indefinitely?
Yes, I sort of picked up on that, too. I was thinking that after three or four years a jar of mincemeat would become REALLY unenticing. After that, you could go for the Guinness record. Tho you probably have a lot of competition.
As far as expertise is concerned, I've always specialized in being a generalist.
However, in the last several years I've been sort of drowning myself in British history between the wars. Of course that's dominated by Churchill, but it includes people like Harold Nicolson, Anthony Eden, Duff Cooper, Harold MacMillan, etc. I don't now if I'm an expert, but I feel almost as if I lived through that era.

JohnR

New in Town
A variety of things.

I'm an architect by profession. I fly, and have a Piper Cub project in the garage (the 1940s vintage classic design, but a modern interpretation). The English language. World War II. Nicaragua.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I would be able to help someone put together a U-Boat crew member impression without having to use an incredible amount of funds. I spent little on mine compared to other impressions and got many compliments on it. I would also be able to help them with gathering any information to learn about the U-Boats and the Battle of the Atlantic.

on the flip-side...

Tea - as I'm a fond person of teas, and using essential oils for emotional/mental/spiritual purposes as well as very practical purposes - such as adding lemon eucalyptus to your pomade and having a pomade that now repels bugs very well. :D

Prien

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
By profession, public relations, media relations and writing.

Hobby or area where I feel I can help people -- Definitely writing, however since I do it as part of my profession, I'm also well aware that everyone and their grandmother believes they are great writers. So, it's a subjective area of "expertise," at least in my opinion.

Steve

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Diamonds and fine jewellery (that's my job).

Birds (that's my reason for living!!).

Knitting (that's a passion of mine).

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Upon going over in my head the subjects that I would consider myself to have well above average expertise or breadth of knowledge in, I'm starting to think I'm a much bigger nerd than I ever thought I was.

1. Forteana
2. Martial Arts
3. the artist J.C. Leyendecker
4. Star Wars trivia
5. zombie cinema

While I'm still relatively young, I think I'm going to be a bit depressed over this sudden realization that my entire life has not yielded expertise in anything particularly useful, marketable, or "cool" in the modern world. Time to get some new hobbies to add on to the old ones methinks.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
erikb02809 said:
Upon going over in my head the subjects that I would consider myself to have well above average expertise or breadth of knowledge in, I'm starting to think I'm a much bigger nerd than I ever thought I was.

1. Forteana
2. Martial Arts
3. the artist J.C. Leyendecker
4. Star Wars trivia
5. zombie cinema

While I'm still relatively young, I think I'm going to be a bit depressed over this sudden realization that my entire life has not yielded expertise in anything particularly useful, marketable, or "cool" in the modern world. Time to get some new hobbies to add on to the old ones methinks.

It's no coincidence that "nerds" are the most interesting people!!! You don't need to worry about what is "cool" because more often than not anything "cool" is usually over in about a week.

Star Wars, Zombie cinema etc....these things live on....I'd call that a good use of memory space!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I'm not well versed in anything. I was obsessed with King Arthur legends for about 10 years and have read about 50 books about him, but I don't think I am an expert.

I am a community planner by profession, but my experience is limited. I am passionate about good community design, but until I can afford to quit my job and earn my master's (only offered full-time before 5pm) I refuse to claim I am an expert planner. I would be doing the field a disservice if I did.

I am interested in a wide variety of subjects, but I don’t shine in any of them. No one would come to me for anything, really. As I come to this conclusion, I feel rather sad. Ooo, I am an expert at mediocrity, does that count?

Well, as with so many others, I wouldn't say "expert" (except in one area), but I have no qualms about calling myself "proficient" in:
*WWII history, primarily air and naval combat and the Southwest Pacific theater
*Personal defense, weaponcraft and (learning) weaponsmithing
*Above-average knowledge of General Psych
*Geopolitics and international relations
*Military sciences, strategy and tactics (only an "above-average here", but learning)
*Cold War history, primarily the history of U.S. Strategic Air Command
*Theory behind Hollywood special effects
*Useless trivia
*Transportation technologies and history
*Weapons history and technologies, from club to ICBM to laser/SDI
*Applying relevant quotes to situations
*Forensic psychology (developing) and "profiling"

The one area I do call myself an expert:
*Autism-spectrum psychology, with specific focus on Asperger's syndrome

I forget who originally said it, but I've always been a believer that the first step in seeking wisdom is recognizing how much you do not know, and in realizing that just when you think you've attained mastery, some new player will introduce a wrinkle into your field you never would have considered, forcing you to rethink everything.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
I forget who originally said it, but I've always been a believer that the first step in seeking wisdom is recognizing how much you do not know, and in realizing that just when you think you've attained mastery, some new player will introduce a wrinkle into your field you never would have considered, forcing you to rethink everything.

Diamondback -- nothing could be more true. Excellent point. Introspection is sorely lacking from way too many folks in the professional world.

Steve

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Other than criminal law, which is my profession, I know a bit about antique North Carolina pottery and post-WWII flight jackets. My problem is that I can never remain interested in a subject long enough to become expert at it.

Atticus

TarHeel1911

New in Town
Work: Architectural specifications, bidding and contract documents, building technology in general, especially in the area of building skin, glazing, and roofing. Due to producing specifications for close to a billion dollars worth of institutional (hospital and school) construction over the last 10 years, my editing/proofreading skills are highly developed. I have one colleague with 2 Masters degrees who asks me to proofread/edit her critcal client letters and e-mails.

Hobbies: WWII and military history in general, practical pistol marksmanship and technique. I'm not one of these people who've committed The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson to memory, but I have a good working knowledge of S&W revolvers, and 1911 pistols, both the different models and what makes them run properly. You'd want me with you at a gun show if you were looking at a table full of pistols. I also have a good knowledge of jazz drumming.

Interested in learning about fedoras, Panamas, and A-2 jackets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay