Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your raincoat of choice?

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
any horse or goat thats hanging next to the door. I haven't worn a non leather in alot of yrs. no matter what the weather. every bone head i know, who knows nothing, says " why are you wearing that leather in the rain?" and I enlighten them about things.....

robrinay

One Too Many
It all depends on the occasion. When walking the dog in rain it's a vintage (n.o.s) Barbour Solway Zipper plus complementing Barbour rain hat. For formal occasions either a single or double breasted full length Burberry raincoat or a short black Aquascutum double breasted raincoat or a short single breasted Burberry raincoat. For less rainy occasions I've got a few antique and modern umbrellas in the cars and in a 50s cane and cast iron stick stand in the hallway. Bit of a spoilt brat eh? But not really as most of the above are 'bargain buys'.

Undertoker

New in Town
i generally knock about in my M-51 parka
But i do love the M-48 better, its just too nice to wear lol

Metatron

One Too Many
Speaking of military jackets,
This is my Czech army coat without it's removable faux fur lining. A very versatile coat that I can recommend. Looks smart with the belted waist.

I wanted something a bit dressier, and ended up getting this US army trench coat. Unfortunately I think that it's a bit 'too much' for me,
so I'm selling it in the classifieds.

Edward

Bartender
My favourite rainwear is probably the traditional Burberry style trench coat (though not necessarily that brand - I have a Grenfell which is equally as good as my Burberry; if buying new, I'd probably go for the Buzz Rickson option at significantly less than Burberry...). I especially like the longer length models which stop just below the bottom of the calf muscle - short enough not to catch on the ground, long enough to ensure that water runs off to the ground, not onto my trousers (a problem I've found with some knee-length coats over the years). I also have a vintage leather trench coat that I believe to be French, which is great in the wet. You can typically tell if someone if over or under forty when I wear that depending upon whether they reference Herr Flick or Neo.

Waiting the arrival of this one from the U.S. - should be water resistant (in Bedford cord) with the addition of a beret.

If somebody did a halfway accurate N1 repro avec stenciling at a budget price, I'd definitely consider one for kicking about with pantalons de nimes, though for me probably more an Autumn season jacket than this time of year.

the one i wear for April shower weather is one i made from a modern charcoal gab (not anywhere near as nice as the fabric above, but not bad).
the dimensions and features are based on a typical 40s CC41 wool belted overcoat:

Trench02a.jpg

Trench02b.jpg

I love that! I'd have assumed it was original...

For light summer rain, a single-breasted fly-front raglan-sleeved lightweight coat (referred to above, not quite correctly, as a "mac.")

I have a few of these - superb for heavy rain in the Summer when a trenchcoat is just too much.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
depending on the temperature a Barbour Bedale, a black leather Schott 740N or a Fjallraven Greenland. The Fjallraven is confounding.... it's advertised as a waxed jacket but it plainly is not. It's unlined and non-waterproof. Not great rainwear at all but here's the thing.... with a wool sweater underneath it is toast right down to the 20's while with a t shirt under you could wear it as a summer jacket and not overheat. I've never had a jacket that had such versatility. It actually insulates and breathes at the same time.... NOT rainwear though, no matter what the advertising might say.

We don't get a lot of rain in this part of southern California (about 15 miles east of Los Angeles) and only occasionally experience anything approximating a downpour, so my "raincoat" of choice is an olive drab M-65 field jacket. If it's good enough for the U.S. military, it's good enough for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot