Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Wool=Warm Black Bear wool shirt jacket. Never owned this brand, they are a notch above for sure. I picked this for the unique colors
VideoCapture_20231110-120954.jpg
VideoCapture_20231110-120645.jpg
VideoCapture_20231110-120607.jpg

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Nice 'titfer'!

Thanks, it's from The Well-Dressed Head by Keith Lo Bue. It's his Five Points model made from lightweight 1930s Italian suiting wool. Picked it up via the Classifieds from a fellow Lounger, but I have three other caps from WDH. Keith specializes in sourcing vintage or antique material to create small batch or one-off creations.

IrishStu

One of the Regulars
You scored! Super nice jacket. FYI, Golden Bear makes Taylor Stitch’s leather jackets. They’re cut and sewn in San Francisco. Top notch jackets. Here’s my GB jacket from Butterscotch LB. I love this jacket! View attachment 559314
Love the shirt. Whats the brand? I've a nice Schott one that is similar but they are hard to get here in Ireland without being caught for the dreaded import taxes/duties.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Burgundy A2 RC x Mushmans. Purchased from the one and only dudewuttheck
If it fit me as well as it fits you, I'd have kept it. So glad it went to a good home though!

'40s California Sportswear aviator
A bit loose at the bottom when unzipped and slightly long, but otherwise I love how it fits. Basically, I love how the top half fits, but don't love how the bottom half fits.
DSC06598.jpg
DSC06648.jpg
DSC06630.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
If it fit me as well as it fits you, I'd have kept it. So glad it went to a good home though!

'40s California Sportswear aviator
A bit loose at the bottom when unzipped and slightly long, but otherwise I love how it fits. Basically, I love how the top half fits, but don't love how the bottom half fits.
View attachment 559606 View attachment 559607 View attachment 559608
Looks splendid to me! It might feel to loose on the bottom end, but looks the part .
I am a little envious, because at 6.3 ft it is almost impossible to find a vintage jacket, or so it seems to me .

barnabus

One Too Many
A bad photo of an excellent jacket.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Third time lucky. Choose your aphorism. I'll explain:

Today I'm wearing an M65 from Helikon, in Nyco Sateen (50/50 cotton/nylon mix).

It's my third try at an M65.

I started with a no-brand cheapo one, but even in undoing the jacket to try it on, the front poppers all pulled themselves apart and fell out of the jacket. And then when I gathered the fallen-out bits together to put them in one of the jacket's pockets to return it, the popper pulled out of the pocket flap too. Absolute garbage.

So I tried again, this time spending twice as much, on a Helikon. And after reading every review I could find online, and poring endlessly over sizing charts I bought a Medium. Which should have been trim and fitted but was actually too big. Not just a little bit too big either, hilariously so. My daughter suggested I looked like when in cartoons two kids stand on each others shoulders and wear a big coat, trying to pass for one grown up.

Despondent now, I returned it for a refund. But I was beset by remorse so I emailed the supplier and asked them for an exchange instead of a refund. And a size Small arrived yesterday.

It's perfect.

Exactly the roomy, M65-y fit I was after. I wore it today with the liner in, over just a t shirt as I went for a walk at 9°. Within half an hour I was boiling.

The jacket is amazing. Built like an absolute tank. I know we say that a lot on here, but this really is immense. The Nyco canvas material is heavy and stiff. The zip looks like it might take one of your fingers if you're not paying attention. And in contrast to the flimsy self-destructing poppers on my cheap first attempt, the ones on this Helikon have that lovely reassuring clunk as they operate.

The chest pockets are full sized and huge. The lower pockets just as capacious. The liner is lightweight but clearly very effective, and has ribbed cuffs at the wrists as well as a set of buttons so you can wear it independent of the outer jacket and still do it up as a jacket in its own right.

The velcro to adjust the wrists and hold back the cuff flap is very strong and effective.

After all my whining, I might have accidentally found one jacket that does everything after all.

IMG_20231111_123614_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
A bad photo of an excellent jacket.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Third time lucky. Choose your aphorism. I'll explain:

Today I'm wearing an M65 from Helikon, in Nyco Sateen (50/50 cotton/nylon mix).

It's my third try at an M65.

I started with a no-brand cheapo one, but even in undoing the jacket to try it on, the front poppers all pulled themselves apart and fell out of the jacket. And then when I gathered the fallen-out bits together to put them in one if the jackets pockets to return it, the popper pulled out of the pocket flap too. Absolute garbage.

So I tried again, this time spending twice as much, on a Helikon. And after reading every review I could find online, and poring endlessly over sizing charts I bought a Medium. Which should have been trim and fitted but was actually too big. Not just a little bit too big either, hilariously so. My daughter suggested I looked like when in cartoons two kids stand on each others shoulders and wear a big coat, trying to pass for one grown up.

Despondent now, I returned it for a refund. But I was beset by remorse so I emailed the supplier and asked them for an exchange instead of a refund. And a size Small arrived yesterday.

It's perfect.

Exactly the roomy, M65-y fit I was after. I wore it today with the liner in, over just a t shirt as I went for a walk at 9°. Within half an hour I was boiling.

The jacket is amazing. Built like an absolute tank. I know we say that a lot on here, but this really is immense. The Nyco canvas material is heavy and stiff. The zip looks like it might take one of your fingers if you're not paying attention. And in contrast to the flimsy self-destructing poppers on my cheap first attempt, the ones on this Helikon have that lovely reassuring clunk as they operate.

The chest pockets are full sized and huge. The lower pockets just as capacious. The liner is lightweight but clearly very effective, and has ribbed cuffs at the wrists as well as a set of buttons so you can wear it independent of the outer jacket and still do it up as a jacket in its own right.

The velcro to adjust the wrists and hold back the cuff flap is very strong and effective.

After all my whining, I might have accidentally found one jacket that does everything after all.

View attachment 559719
Interesting color on an M-65, too. Can you post more pics, zipped, etc?

barnabus

One Too Many
Interesting color on an M-65, too. Can you post more pics, zipped, etc?

Will do.

But tomorrow, as it's dark here now.

I specifically got a black one for a number of reasons. It looks less Airsoft here in the UK than an olive one. I can wear it for work and it won't show the dirt as much. In fact, I can wear it in far more situations than a green one (everything is for every day, remember!). I can wear it over an armoured base layer on my bike and if the weather is rubbish it won't be look so splattered. As I age, my wardrobe is slowly leeching itself into monochrome. If I live long enough, eventually I'll be just wearing black like an old-school Goth or someone who's watched The Matrix once too often.

More pics tomorrow!

e: also, it's the most water-resistant fabric ever.

I ran the sleeve under the tap and the water simply ran off as though it was plastic sheet, leaving it completely dry.

If I cba I'll do a little video.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Looks splendid to me! It might feel to loose on the bottom end, but looks the part .
I am a little envious, because at 6.3 ft it is almost impossible to find a vintage jacket, or so it seems to me .
Yeah it is technically the correct size for me. I'm still getting used to vintage fits in some way. 6'3 would be more difficult to fit because even the longer length jackets in the body may not have long enough sleeves.
A1 spread collar feels a lil douchey but it's the most comfortable the struggle

The horsehide is pretty thick for this pattern which I think is supposed to be a little more floppy??

View attachment 559731
A1 jackets were originally made with capeskin which drapes much more and is thinner and less stiff than horsehide. Some repro makers like to make A1 jackets in horse which is cool and some look great, but the collar was not meant to be put on a stiffer horsehide jacket.

attack_decay

Familiar Face
New jacket arrived today, 60's Schott Perfecto. The seller didn't have any measurements, just the tag size, so I took a "Schott" in the dark. Sizing is perfect. Slim but doesn't limit my mobility at all. Leather is supple and well broken in without any areas of damage besides a bit of top-coat loss on the belt where the buckle rubs.

PXL_20231111_224016680.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20231112_015545784.jpg PXL_20231112_015553367.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_015553367.jpg
    PXL_20231112_015553367.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20231112_015545784.jpg
    PXL_20231112_015545784.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20231111_224016680.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20231111_224016680.MP~2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 33