Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Hats Can't You Stand?

TCMfan25

Practically Family
hats.jpg

I'll take the two Straws on top :D.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't like hats with a self ribbon/felt band. Whatever you call it, it just looks wrong to my eye.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The ubiquitous trilby that has popped up on so many tween, hipster and trendy heads (usually topping off short shorts on the girls and skinny jeans & horn rimmed glassed on the lads). Not saying they don't look cute on some, but they seem to be worn with less of a nod to personal style and more to be about the current trend.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to fall on the side of not hating. Almost every hat looks good on someone. I know what I wouldn't wear, in other words, what's not for me, what's not my style, but not being able to stand something? Sorry, I'm not in the business of hurting the feelings of others with whom I don't share a sense of style. I think it's better to say I don't care for a certain style for myself than saying that I hate what you've got on your head.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
There are only certain hats that I might seriously want to wear. They've either got to look absolutely acceptable on me, or have a perceived novelty value that I just can't miss the style for (my Indiana Jones style hat is a borderline case, as while I do wear it sometimes, I think these styles are a bit high in the crown for me, and sometimes too costume-like for daily wear. I normally just wear mine for hiking or vacationing to the mountains. That's just me though).

Some hats mentioned that I wouldn't really be interested in wearing include:

1. Baseball caps outside of baseball game wear, and I haven't seriously worn one in three years.
2. Stingy-brim cotton or polyester/nylon fedoras
3. Bucket hats
4. Top hats, outside of a very privileged, formal occasion.
5. Bowler hats, similar reason to top hats; I find them too formal and somewhat anachronistic for me. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that will wear a homburg.

Hats I would wear:
1. Just about any fedora that looks right on me, whether stingy or wider brimmed.
2. Homburgs for dressier occasions, if I still had one. I converted the only one I had to be a narrow-side-of-moderate width fedora. I like and will wear it more that way though.
3. Cowboy hats, I've always liked them in general. The same goes for Australian ones.
4. Flat caps or newsboys can look cool, but I don't own one.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to fall on the side of not hating. Almost every hat looks good on someone. I know what I wouldn't wear, in other words, what's not for me, what's not my style, but not being able to stand something? Sorry, I'm not in the business of hurting the feelings of others with whom I don't share a sense of style. I think it's better to say I don't care for a certain style for myself than saying that I hate what you've got on your head.

I'm with you, scotty, similar to some others' previously stated sentiments. But, there are some I don't think I'd wear. Honestly, I'd wear a baseball cap long before I donned a newsboy, but many of you fellow loungers really pull off the look "with aplomb" to borrow delectans' phrase. Truly.

Though baseball caps aren't usually on the top of my grab bag (understatement), I have the distinct privelege of my wife actually really, really liking those on my head. And that can be a very, very useful tool despite my love for brimmed ones.

HatsEnough

Banned
I'll tell you what I hate in connection with hats. The fact that my son and his wife and baby are moving into my hat room for a while (changing jobs, so we are helping out) and now it isn't my hat room anymore. I've had to put them in the garage! Ugh! Good thing they are all boxed up safely.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
In my case, there are no hats I dislike in general, just ones I know won't look good on me.

I even like like the modern cheapo fedora that the hipster set (in our area wannabee hipster set) wears. With their look I think it works - I'd look a complete idiot in one myself.

Same with westerns - heck, I'm from the south of England I'd look a clown in one of those, but a lot of people look great. Actually, having said that, billyspew has posted some shots of him in a western and the look works for him, even in London.

A lot here whine about baseball caps, but I wear my Phillies hats with pride where ever I am.

Probably the hat I like the least is the Homburg. Let's face it guys, very few people look good in these. Even here on the forum, I could count the number of cool looking Homburg wearers on the fingers of one hand - after having a couple of fingers cut off.

Watching a movie? Who's the guy you wish you could punch in the face? Nine times out of ten, it's the Homburg wearer.

So Neo, the fact the Stetson Homburg you bought on eBay didn't fit you was a blessing in disguise. That western you got - you pull that one off with panache!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
So anyway, I wear fedoras, porkpies, newsboys, and the occasional baseball cap, each type having to have certain characteristics.

I prefer fedoras with wide brims, and high straight crowns, preferably in earth-tones. I prefer 6-panel, wide cut, brown herringbone newsboy caps. I prefer unstructured, pre-broken-in baseball caps. To make it simple as to what I won't wear, I won't wear anything that doesn't fit the aforementioned criteria.

Probably the hat I like the least is the Homburg. Let's face it guys, very few people look good in these. Even here on the forum, I could count the number of cool looking Homburg wearers on the fingers of one hand - after having a couple of fingers cut off.

Oh but every heavily pounced straight edge tall crown with 2 1/2 inch snap brim looks great. :) That is pretty much the way it goes on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis