Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of jacket is this?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Here's my grandpa in 1945:
19453.jpg

And here again 1972:
may31st19722.jpg

Same exact style of jacket, different color, yet nearly 30 years later. Can anyone tell me what kind of jacket was this, who made it etc?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
FedoraFan112390 said:
Here's my grandpa in 1945:
19453.jpg

And here again 1972:
may31st19722.jpg

Same exact style of jacket, different color, yet nearly 30 years later. Can anyone tell me what kind of jacket was this, who made it etc?

The jacket mavens will be all over this....and I offer this merely as "folk history," an anecdote: when I was growing up in the late 50s and early 60s, in Westchester County NY, this was referred to as an "Eisenhower jacket" or an "Ike jacket." I realize it is NOT the issue item...but that's the Volksmund from my time and place...

"Skeet"

PS: great photos!

mattfink

Practically Family
The first one looks like it's made of wool to me while the second looks like a wool/rayon blend gabardine jacket. They're called Ike or Ricky (after Ricky Ricard) jackets are are fairly easy to find in plain colors and can get pretty pricey if they have a print on them. Hope this helps. I deal some vintage, so if you need one I could probably help you find one.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
A quick look tells me that they are not the same style jacket. The first one looks a tanker jacket with the collar folded downwards, the second jacket could be anything really, but it has a tailored collar.

Gene

Practically Family
The first jacket is a modified tanker jacket. It's had the short knit collar removed and had a more standard spread collar added. A very cool modification!

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
He had a rifle bullet in his leg--He had been shot in the lower leg that January and this was his first day out of the hospital. He was in and out of the hospital for a year after this photo for surgeries and therapy. He had been in the Northern France campaign and fought in the Battle of the Bulge, which is the battle in which he got shot.

Another view of the jacket:
5495808829_c9953f18d0_b.jpg

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Pendleton reissued an older design Ike jacket in tan wool twill a couple of years ago. It looked really nice, but I wasn't in the market for a short jacket at the time. As with all modern retailers, the design was retired after just one season - too bad. Maybe you could find one used somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy