Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Makes You Choose One Decade Over Another?

roots66

One of the Regulars
Liz said:
I love the over-the-top femininity of the '50s, as well as much of the '50s pop culture, but I find more and more that the early-to-mid '60s is where my heart really is. I wear my hair in a flip everyday, I'm obsessed with pale pink lipstick (yes, I know most of you are shuddering by this point!) and I wish I had an entire wardrobe of vintage Courr?®ges clothing...I'm also fanatical about '60s pop music, which is probably a major part of why I love the decade so much. I guess I'm just the odd one out around here!

Rest assured, yer not the only one!!! I'll forever be a '60s gal first and foremost--its music, pop culture, and style just suit my temperament best somehow. I, too, come by the obsession largely through the music-mania angle--garage rock and '60s pop are my all-time favorite forms of rock & roll, and I even do a weekly radio show with a lot of focus on these genres (though even here I can't put limits on myself--rockabilly, glam, punk, and other cool rock & roll gets thrown in too). A general '60s beatnik-to-mod look is also the easiest vintage image for me to pull off, despite the fact that I wasn't blessed with a willowy Shrimptonesque figure. Curling my hair is an exercise in futility save for the occasional "under-flip" (ends curled under), so I doubt I could pull off all the fabulous hair-dos discussed here.* HOWEVER, I devour the pincurl and setting lotion threads as greedily as anyone here, and I've got just as many deep reds as pale pinks in my train case. I can't seem to limit my fascinations to just one era, and I wouldn't want to even if I could. There's no reason why a gal can't be just as fascinated with The Women, Cover Girl, and Funny Face as she is with Qui etes-vous, Polly Magoo.

*The current issue of Allure has this hilarious article entitled "Looking Your Age," offering such maxims as:

"Vibrant red lipstick can make fair skin look almost ghostly."
"Too much definition and 1940s drama can add decades."
"Lipstick should be creamy (not matte)...[use] brown-based reds, which tend to look gentler than blue-based ones."
"A blunt haircut can look dated...don't curl the ends under--'it's too page boy,' says hairstylist Garren."
"Don't add a lot of volume to the rest of your hair--with bangs, it's too '60s retro."

I guess I'm a walking "DON'T" most of the time--but I wouldn't have it any other way.

crwritt

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
It should not be hidden away, it should make us cringe. Ive rencently been creating some prints from this earlier era (1880s-1920) depicting Blackface. I feel in order to desensitize the stereotype we must embrace it. The advertisments they used these characters in were all over the country, and now, all but vanished. Still, when people see them they have Rosie's reaction. Good, bad, evil, angelic, we have to remember it all.

Sorry to get off topic, now back to stylin ;)

I do have to say, 1930s-1940s had the most FABULOUS shoes! Smokin! Chunky low heels, mary janes, yummy yummy!

Still off topic, I guess. I looked thorough your Blackface portfolio with interest, and wondered what your feelings were about that kind of art.
I think the Picnis are so cute, but then I also have this feeling that I number one, shouldn't be looking at them at all, and have no right to an opinion about them, since I'm a white gal from a northern state. Once in a while I still see a lawn jockey in someone's yard, usually the faces have been painted white.

Liz

Roots66 -- your radio show sounds great. Can it be heard online? I'm always looking for new radio programs to check out.

My sister (who thinks I'm crazy for wearing what she calls "old people's clothes") always makes sure to tell me that my clothes, make-up or hairdo make me a walking fashion don't, but I just tell her that I'm actually in style this year, with all of the current '60s-inspired trends -- though I'm sure I'll be out of style again in no time!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I can get along anywhere from, I dunno, 1920-1960. But I am really about the 30s. I guess what draws me to it is the neat juxtapositions of the period: Primitive modernity. Popular elegance. The relaxed tension in the music, speech, clothes. Home cooking out of a streamlined kitchen. The 30s had snap and flow, and room to be individual that we later lost.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Have you ever gone through the closet of a woman who only bought the very best all her life? It's amazing to see that the best of any era is always timeless. The cheaper the clothes, the more quickly they become dated.
I think mens' clothing goes through much more subtle changes over the decades, so it makes it harder to choose, as far as I'm concerned. I have a lot of vintage ties, and I find that certain jackets just look wrong with a given tie. I try to match the cut of the jacket (not too successfully, actually) with the cut of the tie. So I like anything from late 30's thru late 40's. I just wish I could find more high waisted trousers, because there's nothing that looks worse than a short tie over too low cut trousers, and a little but of tummy in between.
I must say, being just 60 now (gak!) and remembering the 50's vividly, I have a gut reaction to anyone perceiving the 50's and early 60's as vintage. My brain says "That's not vintage, that's just out of date!". I know that's a silly reaction, but there you are. I find it so odd (even creepy!) that people like the early 60's "Jetsons" look. My parents generation found it equally ludicrous that people of my generation loved stuff that they wore when young, and now think of as stale and out of date. Go figure!

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I'd have to say the level of "class" in manners, clothing, and entertainment. For the purpose of actually dressing the part, the Victorian era to the 40's are the best examples, and I do like some 50's entertainment.

For study, my interests span a broad range of human history.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
As for fashion, I find myself wearing mostly early 50's, late 40's... adorable day dresses, a few wiggles, shirtdresses... I just love the feminine cut of everything, fits my curves to a T! I also have quite a few simple to nice 40's dresses, but what prevents me from wearing some 40's clothing is the shoulders! I already have broad shoulders, and any shoulder pads whatsoever make me look horridly 80's-like... which just isn't me.:rolleyes: Every now and then I go rockabilly too... a little more casual but fun and kitschy!

As for music, I love lots of randomness from the 20's all the way through the 60's... I just love all kinds of music! Movies, I adore the 30's and 40's-- the glory years of film!

roots66

One of the Regulars
Liz said:
Roots66 -- your radio show sounds great. Can it be heard online? I'm always looking for new radio programs to check out.

Thanks--It's called Real Cool Time (after the Stooges song), & it's on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. Eastern on CIUT. I co-host with my husband, and do all the tech work since he can't see what he's doin'. There's another '60s-centric show on the station already so we can't focus exclusively on that, but since '60s rock & roll makes up the bulk of both our rekkid collections there's no getting around featuring it heavily.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Almost off topic, but what the hey. In reading these (and other) entries I'm getting the feeling that, as a broad generalization, men seem to dress to project a certain identity, women dress to project a specific mood. Any thoughts?

Shearer

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Almost off topic, but what the hey. In reading these (and other) entries I'm getting the feeling that, as a broad generalization, men seem to dress to project a certain identity, women dress to project a specific mood. Any thoughts?

Actually, barring what's going on in my personal life or at work, I find that my mood is often dictated by what I'm wearing or what my makeup looked like that day. A few ladies were talking about this in a powder room thread a while ago... the consensus seemed to be that even if you're having the day from hell, just dressing right and wearing a shade of lipstick that you liked could have a drastic effect on mood. But of course, this works for both men and women.

I think identity and mood go hand in hand though. I buy my wardrobe based on what I assume my "identity" to be. I wouldn't like to see my closet if I bought things based on all my moods lol

I gave this question a good think and realized that when I go to pick something out of the closet in the morning, I'm not making my decision based on if I feel happy or blue that day. I like to choose clothing everyday that will give people an idea of who am I - however vague that explanation may be ;)

All of what I just wrote, however, can be chucked out the window if it's one of those days where I've gotten 3 hours of sleep and I'm wishing all clothing was made with velcro!

lindylady

A-List Customer
My wardrobe seems to consist of 40s-50s elements. I like the clothing of those decades because they are cut full and flatter my figure. Even though I don't have the classic hourglass figure, the clothes of this period still highlight what curves I have. And I just love the feminine details in everything! Even when the women wore jeans, they always managed to look girly, not androgynous. People tell me that because I'm tall, I can wear today's boxy, straight cuts, but I think that the style is horrible :eek: Give me a circle skirt, a puffed sleeve blouse, and Mary Jane heels any day! :D

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Rosie said:
I wonder if there were a group of people 60+ years ago complaining about the horrible fashion of their time, looking back to an era they found more pleasing.

I wonder if that would happen in 60 years from now. I must admit that I look back on the eraly nineties with the grunge thing and just shudder. Or the Flashdance inspired ripped shirts.

But like many people here have commented, I wear vintage clothing that suits my curvier figure. So I can't really do 20s or 30s styles and need to stick closer to 1938-1944 era. But I mix and match my vintage wearing items that are vintage inspired with vintage pieces from different eras to make my own look--for better or worse!

Mary

Practically Family
This tread has given me so many thoughts!

Lady Day and some others. That's very interesting that you don't like 30's and earlier because of the society back then. I must say I don't know much about the life back them. My interest has been very fashion or designcentered. I've thought a bit about that too but not as much and it hasn't been as emotional. My thoughts are mainly that I wear things my grandmother could only have dreamed of. I'll think some more of what you've been saying. As for my preferences today. I'm not sure any more.

After discovering the fedoralounge I've learned so much and and seen so many things I like. I suppose I like to mix a bit. Some very feminine dresses one day and 60's boyinsh the next. And some 40's when I get hold of them.
I admire the 30's style of clothes the most. What I've seen they really work with the cloth and the body. But I know to little of it at the moment.

Yesterday I strolled in the wood and daydreamed of clothes in my future and those dreams where of elegant comfortabe 30's clothes in natural fabrics like wool and silk. So in the future I belive you'll see me in more widelegged pants and country style clothes. I don't mind being glamorous ;) but never want to trade it for my comfort. So never everyday in corsets and stocking but I'd love it on occations. Well I guess I can't make up my mind!

And Sunny I really liked to read how you feel about clothes.

M

Rachael

A-List Customer
In the grand scheme of things, my long term goal would be to have at least one ensemble from every decade 1810-1940. And scarily, I'm pretty close. But there are favorites, and there are decades that I would only give passing interest for continuity.

My favorite year for fashion is 1909. Something about the transition years draw me, and there was the whole artistic movement going on with the sleek lines and detailed edges. Not to mention that it's a year that works well with my figure.

My close runners up are: 1940s Hollywood, 1880s and early 20's.

and the ones I only would make to finish the collection: 1830 and 1890.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I can find something appealing in just about every era, quite honestly. :) I do have a few favorite eras, which include the 1910s and the 1930s-50s, but I love just about any historical costume. 18th century? But of course. Edwardian? Love it. I don't like everything in every time period, but there are always inspiring elements.

For everyday wear, obviously the pre-1920 styles are out. I'm really only beginning my search for Golden Era clothes, so I can't say I wear any particular era, but I prefer the 1930s-50s. My body shape doesn't lend itself to the 1920s. For that matter, it's not perfect for the '30s either, but I like the styles anyhow. :)

I tend to fluctuate in my tastes anyway, so I see no problem in mixing things up. I'll take everything, please! lol

Mary

Practically Family
Wow I'm always so impressed when people can say a year. Rachel can you describe what it was like 1909. Or post a representative picture?

And how do you learn som much? I've borrowed books in the library but they are never that detailed.

StoreRoadLady. I also love just about any historical costume! :)

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
A good place to get specifics for a particular year are in magazines. I prefer the late forties through the fifties myself, I think these styles really flatter my figure. I like the music and films of this time as well.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Top to bottom, my favorite clothing is from the mid 1940's through the late 1950's, particularly the "fit and flare" style. Like many others have said, it's such a feminine look. And I really like wiggle dresses and pencil skirts, but I've given up trying to by them ready-made, and I've started sewing my own.

And I LOVE novelty atomic-aged prints--it's such fun fashion.

Oh, and the shoes! Platforms (insert dreamy sigh here)...

Rachael

A-List Customer
Mary, this is a fashion plate from 1909:

1909.jpg

My fascination with this year stemmed from a dear friend of my observing that whenever I pointed out a dress that I 'must have' it was from 1909. Not '10, or '08, but '09. It's like finding a favorite color, I suppose.

Books are the best source for costume history, and periodicals/catalogs are great when you can come by them. Earlier years (before Sears) it's Petersons or Godey's and farther into the 20th century the better the sources. A lot of older material says helpful things like 'apply sleeves the normal manner' but as more women found other vocations the directions became more useful.

Also there are many wonderful sites that have fashion plates and CDV's.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks for the picture Rachel. I really liked the black en white one. The other one I find a little too coquette. I'll try to find pictures and write a bit why I love the specific style I love.

I'd love if you all posted pictures and pointed out what's so brilliant about them. (Like this sleeve, fabric or drape) It would be a nice way to get to know you.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24