Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Makes You Choose One Decade Over Another?

Mary

Practically Family
Mrsweats. What is the fit and flare? I googled and found some dresses called fit and flare and some very simular who weren't. I understand the flare bit but how about the fit? Would you maybe post a pic to expain what makes a fit and flare dress?

I like pencilskirts and wiggle dresses too. Form my point of wiew they are more understatedly feminine and that's probably why I prefer them.

I actually think I try to go for a less fun och cheeky style nowadays. But I love it on others.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Mary said:
Mrsweats. What is the fit and flare? I googled and found some dresses called fit and flare and some very simular who weren't. I understand the flare bit but how about the fit? Would you maybe post a pic to expain what makes a fit and flare dress?

For modern dresses, "fit and flare" can refer to any dress that is close at the waist, then flares at the skirt, but usually means a "princess seamed" dress.

Midgetqueen

New in Town
I like 40's fashion best, but tend to gravitate more to 50's because it's easier to find. But this doesn't please me, both aesthetically and ideologically. I find 40's clothes quite flattering, in general, and also, as a feminist, I like the era much better. The 40's were a (relatively) equalizing time for women. The 50's carried quite a nasty backlash with them. Not to get into it much, don't want to get into politics. But that's probably my biggest reason I wish I had an easier time finding 40's styles around here.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Kamikat. That makes sence.

Yes TessTrueheart! That was me! Guess with that coat and lipstick I'm hard to miss.:) I'm so looking forward to the FL-cometogether in Copenhagen so I will meet you all.

M

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
First, thanks to the always fabulous Kamikat for answering your question (I was out of the office today, hence away from the computer).
I took "fit and flare" to mean any dress that was fitted at the top and had a full skirt, but that's helpful to know that the more specific definition is a princess line.
You learn something new every day!

This is an example of what I was thinking of in my post:

9540mc447.jpg

It's a different line than the early 40's, which tend be shaped more like this:

3217av390.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
I know I've been mentioning the 30s a lot here but everything from my lifestyle choices (homemaker) to what my home (modern Type-house, architectural roots in the 50s) and wardrobe can be adjusted to, screams 50s.

During the 90s I mainly wore the same styles as my mom and aunts had worn in the 50s. I grew up with the music my parents listened to as teenagers in the 50s. I'm an unashamed Connie Francis fan. Most of my costume jewelry is 50s too. I've stopped covering my dark face moles with concealer and enhance them with black liner instead. Color wise I think the
50s will work better for me too than the 30s. I love LP lamps, furniture by Wegner, Børge Mogensen and some by Arne Jacobsen.

This is my regular, contemporary look but I'm hoping it won't require too much to transform my look into a retro 50s resembling look and if I grow into it, I may try more authentic vintage styling. I definitely want more retro looking glasses next time. I'm usually a bit wilder with colors than most "nice" women and girls would've been back then though.

Most Danes aren't used to seeing Asians and mistake me for a teenager even though I'm 31 so while I'm pretty much settled on the 50s I haven't decided on the age appropriateness. But that belongs on another thread...

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
i'm probably in the minority here in that my preferred styles (on myself) are 1950s. i have kind of a thick waist, and even though there's a 10" difference between my waist and hips, i don't really have a true hourglass figure. the full 50s skirts tend to be much more flattering and make my waist look smaller and my figure more feminine overall. i don't have much of a budget for vintage clothing, though my collection grows steadily. it's much easier for me to find affordable vintage 50s that fits than 40s... i'm a modern size 10 and that stuff is just so hard to come by for 1940s garb. there's also a lot more 1950s repro, which suits me just fine.

my favorite styles are those of the 40s, but i just don't seem to be able to wear them well. my favorite hairstyles are 40s, and so are my favorite shoes. i try not to mix and match too much, but in the end it's not a tragedy if i do.

along with the era i'm drawn to being about the clothes that look best on me and are easiest for me to find, i'm really just a rock n roll chick.

Are you me?

*peers into mirror*

No, but your post says it all for me.

L

x

Miss Sis

One Too Many
It's interesting what makes someone prefer overall one decade to another.

I have to say for me it's the 1930s. Why? Well, lots of reasons, I suppose.

Firstly, it suits me. I am tall and slim, so the bias cut works on me. I know I look good in 40s things, that they suit me too, as I have a surprisingly hourglass shape despite being slim, but then I guess I come to the second point:

1930s clothing can be very elegant. Sure, there are lots of Depression 'Granny' dresses, but I am more inspired by the British Upper Class or Haute Couture designers. I like the slim lines and geometric designs, as well as the skimming body hugging evening dresses.

Thirdly, I like the music and style of that decade. I love clean Art Deco lines. Also it was a time when if you had the money, living was good.

Perhaps fourthly, it takes me back to an era when my Grandparents were young. My Nana had many wonderful photos of the 1930s and I spent alot of time as a child looking through them and hearing about those times.

So whilst I have interests in lots of other eras, the 30s are my favourite.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I have to say the 40's are my favorite, with a little late 30's and early 50's thrown in. I just love the womanly figures in the 40's and the mix of utilitarian with beauty, it's always captivated me.

Mary

Practically Family
Miss Sis. I've realised I like the 1930's the best too. At least the clothes. Have been home studing "Everday fashions" and old magazines and I like the siluette of the early 1930's the best. Like you descibed it, it just looks so smart and sleek.

I also like clothes from the the late 50's for the same reasons. Feminine but going toward the 60's more slim straight lines. And the men's clothes are the best then in my opinion. Not that I know all that much about them.

Have you got any tips on where to find more info on 1930's clothes. And british clothes?! I've never seen british clothes from then, only haute couture and the hollywood costumes.

M

gingermore

Familiar Face
I'm a 1930s and Art Deco fan too. However I have found it nearly impossible to find 1930s clothing where I live and I suspect that I don't have the correct figure for it (pear shaped). My clothes therefore tend to be 1940s or an interpretation of 1940s, however I wear my hair in a more 1930s style. I sometimes dress a bit 1950s too (1950s clothes are easier to find).

I am fascinated by the ladies in this thread who have obviously done a lot of research and know their fashions from one year to the next (as opposed to the basic knowledge of each decade that I have). Where do you do your research?

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I gravitate towards 1940s. Mostly becasue I reenact the 1940s and my figure is better suited for that better than others. I do wear 1950s stuff from time to time. I think the big reason for me not exploring other eras is because I always need new clothes for reenacting and I hardley have time to make more than that. I would rather have appropraite clothes to run around at a reenactment shooting germans(quite stress reileivinglol :D ) than make scads of clothing that can't go past the car at reenactment.

Samantha

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Rosie said:
I make Mammy dolls. People are always amazed when they come to my house and see them but for me, it's kind of like embracing that image. Years ago, and in the eyes of many people still, she/this is who I am supposed to be. But, I am not that. That image reminds me of where people of color were years ago, were some people still want us to be, of how much has changed, and how much still has to change.

:eek:fftopic: I have a mammy doll! I love her. I got her when I was doing 1860s reenacting and was still playing a younger girl who could have had her mammy make her one. She is still one of my favorite dolls.Ok now back to your regulary schaeduled thread.

Samantha

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well Mary and Gingermore, in answer to where do I do my research, the answer is everywhere! I am always on the lookout for original sources such as magazines, photos, original clothes etc.

Catalogues are always useful, such as the Army and Navy Stores, although that is more general. I do also look at American sources such as pattern books which is also a useful indicator as to what followed in the UK. There are still plenty of women's magazines around from Women's Weekly through to Vogue which sometimes have patterns in them as well as the pictures. Some of the best photos are from places like the Getty Archive as they generally have very good details regarding dates etc on them.

You know you are a bit of a geek about something when you can date it to within a year or two!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
If I had to choose, I'd say my favorite is the Dior new look. It's so historically significant, and really flattering and feminine, and I'm a bit of a Francophile too.

Generally though, I don't really have a favorite decade. Price constraints mean I have a lot of 50s stuff, less 40s and nothing earlier - it is just too expensive for me, though aesthetically I love the 20s and 30s. I like 40s clothes, but the hair really doesn't suit me. I look quite good in a bob, so could do earlier if money was no object.... if it was all about flattering myself though I should probably go 60s, as I really suit 60s style hair. It's just not historical enough to really excite me though.

Mary

Practically Family
MissSis. Thanks for telling me about the Army and Navy stores. I tried Amazon and found some books but none about the 1930's. Is there such a book? There weren't any pictures of the books but is it the old catalogues reprinted into a book? If it is I'd love to buy one, I just love books!

I strongly recommend the libraries!! I've just taken photos of the fashion of 1931-1932 in Allers mönstertidning (a paper with the latest fashion). And it's fantastic to go through!

M

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mary said:
MissSis. Thanks for telling me about the Army and Navy stores. I tried Amazon and found some books but none about the 1930's. Is there such a book? There weren't any pictures of the books but is it the old catalogues reprinted into a book? If it is I'd love to buy one, I just love books!

I strongly recommend the libraries!! I've just taken photos of the fashion of 1931-1932 in Allers mönstertidning (a paper with the latest fashion). And it's fantastic to go through!

M
I highly recommend "Everyday Fashions of the 1930s" (and the 20s and 40s versions too), by Dover Books!
Basically reprints of catalog pages, year by year for the decade, showing mens, womens, kids, shoes, hats, jewelry, undies, and other accessories like belts, umbrellas, etc. Absolutely invaluable for beginning collectors, and as they are paperbacks, not very expensive!

http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Fashions-Thirties-Pictured-Catalogs/dp/048625108X

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Any sort of catalogue is useful, it's just Army and Navy was a very well known British store (you could order in England, almost any part of the Empire and particularly India where so many civil servants were being sent to work)

Although the fashion in the Army and Navy is quite basic it is brilliant for all sorts of things. It notes that due to changes in fashion, only basics are illustrated eg/ Shoes. Better are specific clothing catalogues as they will show you year by year. Originals are not cheap, but a number of years ago the 1939 - 1940 Army and Navy one was reprinted so you might be able to get one of those. They have a blue cover and a dust jacket rather than the original red cover.

Sears catalogues are very good for American fashion but that was quite often very different to British fashion of the same time.

Mary

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Sears catalogues are very good for American fashion but that was quite often very different to British fashion of the same time.

This is interesting! Please tell me more or are there any treads on this in this forum?! How does the british 1930's fashion differ from Parisian and American fashions?

When reading old Swedish magazines they often claim it to have the latest fashion from Paris but clothes were more often made up in wool than in Paris so we wouldn't catch colds.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24