Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Canadave

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
A Pilot Varsity that I received as a gift.

Click here \/
-------The Pen

Varsity-Disposable-Stick-Fountain-Pen-Black-Barrel-Blue-Ink-Fine-Pt_151900.jpg

Really? You must LOVE the person who gave it to you.

David

Canadave

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
Those little Varsity's are great pens. I keep them in my work car and they always are ready to go. Surprisingly good writers too.

Maybe so, but they just add to the landfill when you're through with them. It's the "disposable" part that I object to.

David

Matt Deckard said:
Sheaffer's Balance. An oldie inked with red ink.
Looks exactly like this and it's been repaired at the local pen shop a few times. I like the standard boring pens. Looks like something out of a cartoon when they show the artists working.
Sheaffer%27sBalance184.jpg
It's a really nice Sheaffer Balance, I like the section that's clear so you know if it's got ink in it. This Balance shape is one of the most Iconic for fountain pens and they started it in the early 30's with a nod to streamlining. It has been produced consistantly for many many years and they still make that shape now and again. A successful design. I have about 8 Sheaffer's that are vintage and all basically this Balance design.

Nice one!

JEEP

Practically Family
I love fountain pens. I took most of my notes at high school (businness school) and the university (prehistoric archeaeology) with my mothers all steel 70s Parker (not sure of the model) and a cheap modern Parker Frontier.

Recently I discovered that the cap on my Frontier has cracked - and the thought of getting a new fountain pen emerged. Seeing quite a few Mont Blancs at the annual watch collectors convention a few weeks ago really set things in motion for me.

Now I have an almost unused Mont Blanc Meisterstück Hommage á Frédéric Chopin on the way. I woulf have preferred a 149 or Le Grand, but I was offered the Chopin at an incredible price.

I have also picked up my fathers Parker 51 and Liberty Gold, both in dark red, from the drawer. Both are somewhat defect, so this morning they were sent to a fountain pen repairman to be brought into working order.

I also have a very nice black Parker 50d Duofold on the way.

Expect pics soon :)

Regards.

Jakob

I was talking to Matt Deckard recently about flex pens and inked up a neat little pen that has a flex nib to let him try it out.

The imprint says Century Pen Company Whitewater, WS and is a stripey red (celluloid I think) ladies pen similar in shape to an early duofold but smaller and without a clip. The nib is very responsive giving good line variation with just a little pressure on the down strokes.

Fun to play with but I am not good at the Copperplate or Spencerian writing.

Oh, the Centruy Pen Co. went out of business in 1938 so it predates that, most likely late 20's early 30's.

JEEP

Practically Family
The light is not good for photographing tonight, but I managed to snap these two pics of my vintage Parker Duofold and my Mont Blanc Hommage Á Frédéric Chopin:

ParkerDuofold_MontBlanc_01.jpg

ParkerDuofold_MontBlanc_02.jpg

More pens are on their way :D

Regards.

Jakob

DeaconKC

One Too Many
That Duofold is a beauty Jakob! I'll be carrying a pair of Parker's today, both 45s. One blue and one Flighter, both loaded up with PR American Blues.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
I am a big fan of pens, just recently i've been looking at pens and want to buy more. I don't have a collection yet but I am looking at Sheaffer, a green Esterbrook, and If I could ever afford it a Montblanc Marlene Dietrich Special Edition. I also love dipping pens, can anyone suggest any vintage dipping pens with medium nib? Looking on ebay and see a few I like but are fine nibbed.

Marlene_dietrich_ad_sub.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Firefyter-Emt said:
Most of the time I carry a Parker 51 or one of my Vacumatic's. Next would be either my Sheaffer snorkel or the Statesman TD. Every now and then I feel like being colorful and let one of the Esterbrook's tag along. When I really want to feel stuck up, I bring out my Mont-Blanc 244 with the OBB nib.

Inks are matched to the pen for the most part, mostly Noodlers and my favorites tend to be the Fountain Pen Network exclusive inks. I have the Starry Night in the cedar blue 51, the Galileo Brown in the cordovan 51, although I have Legal Lapis in the gray one. The snorkel seems to really like Lamy turquois, the Statesman only likes the Tulipe Noir. The Esties never seem to be heads over heals with any one ink. ;)

Here is my little collection, I carry a fountain pen every day, and on rainy days where one may not work, I take my gray 51 and the matching pencil with it.

38092.jpg

38093.jpg

Wonderful looking collection! I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to match inks to pens.

JEEP

Practically Family
DeaconKC said:
That Duofold is a beauty Jakob! I'll be carrying a pair of Parker's today, both 45s. One blue and one Flighter, both loaded up with PR American Blues.

Thanks. It is really nice. The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that the point is "extra fine", it is very hard to write with. But I think it would be a shame to have it changed.

I have asked the seller that is currentlt restoring my farthers Parker 51 and Liberty to put this, newly restored, set with Parker slimfold and pencil aside for me:

picture.aspx

Is the Parkler slimfold a good pen?

Regards.

Jakob

DerMann

Practically Family
For the past week and a half, I haven't had regular access to my pens due to my sluggish pace in moving rooms.

The only pen I've stuck with is my Vacumatic Major, and I truly think I have found the perfect pen. It's comfortable to hold all day (student), holds behemoth amounts of inks, and the nib is extremely smooth, but gives a very nice feedback.

Not to mention it's one of the most beautiful pens ever produced.

Also, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue is still probably my favourite ink. Rich colour, writes on the dryish side, easy to remove from clothing/hands, and cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner