Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should an A-2 looks like when you wear it unzip?

zhz

Practically Family
I am wondering how an A-2 should fit when it unzipped. By seeing Dave's Dubow today, it is fit perfect, and when it unzipped, the gap between the collar and the bottom almost the same. But my A2 Werber fits different, the gap between collar is small and getting bigger when it goes down. But when I zipped the jacket, the fit seems good.

This is Dav's jacket, hope you don't mind I am using your jacket, Dav.

My jacket when its unzipped

?? 03-12-2014 14 25 14.jpg

My one when it's zipped
7167724716-12-2014164500_zps1ff3842f.jpg

You can see the difference is huge, and Dav's jacket looks much better than mine when the jacket is unzipped... I am wondering why, is it because my A-2 has a tight knits at waist? Some problem with the fit? Any inputs are welcome.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
zhz, there's no perfect or ideal A-2 fit, just personal preference. If you look at photos from WWII there are a myriad of fits dependent on jacket size but also the genetic shape of who is wearing it.

Yours is slightly larger fitting than Dav's in the arms and torso (but that also could be due to a different A-2 contract pattern from yours) but if it was me I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just wear it and enjoy it.

If it really bugs you then sell that one and get another but that's a slippery slope as you can end up on the endless quest for perfection especially if you are judging how somebody else's jacket fits on their particular body. Some people have wider shoulders, longer arms, bigger tums, etc, etc.

In my eyes there's nothing wrong with yours but ultimately it's up to you.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
zhz, your jacket looks perfectly fine unzipped in my opinion. Like Smithy said, fits will vary greatly depending on the cut of the jacket and your body type.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think over time the non parallel look of yours will even out like Dav's. My Gibson Barnes all did that at first.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
The knits are new, they'll stretch out a bit and it'll hang just fine. The big question is how does it feel to you when you're wearing it? As Smithy said, they fit everyone a bit different. People need to lighten up! If you like it and it feels good on you, go with it!

B

zhz

Practically Family
Thanks everyone, I think I didn't make it clear at first place. I am very happy with the fit of this jacket. Just wondering whats happened to the waist when it unzipped.
Yours is slightly larger fitting than Dav's in the arms and torso
The sleeve of Werber contract seems wider than Dubow. But I don't see how the torso is larger than Dav's...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am probably as guilty as the next of obesssing about "the perfect fit" and think that Interbak makes a valid point. Based on the pictures, I think both zhz's and dav's A-2 jacket fits are great, although dav's jeans fit much better than zhz's. :D

zhz

Practically Family
I am probably as guilty as the next of obesssing about "the perfect fit" and think that Interbak makes a valid point. Based on the pictures, I think both zhz's and dav's A-2 jacket fits are great, although dav's jeans fit much better than zhz's. :D

Come on, my jeans is a perfect copy of 40-50's fit. :D It just longer than it should be, and I am too lazy to get it shortened...

IXL

One Too Many
I have one that would hang when worn open, just as yours is. The knits were tight enough that some effort was required to get the zipper assembled. After wearing the jacket a bunch, the knits (and I also think the leather, where is was sewn to the knits, was drawing them tightly) eased up and it now hangs straight down, just as in the Dav photo.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Is that an ELC Werber?

Just wear it in, it will 'ease' up over time. Looks fantastic, excellent fit.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
I am probably as guilty as the next of obesssing about "the perfect fit" .... . Based on the pictures, I think both zhz's and dav's A-2 jacket fits are great, although dav's jeans fit much better than zhz's. :D

Anyone fortunate enough to have either jacket, fitting as they do, is a lucky man, indeed. Fanch; if I could only find jeans that fit like zhz's...sign me up!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have one that would hang when worn open, just as yours is. The knits were tight enough that some effort was required to get the zipper assembled. After wearing the jacket a bunch, the knits (and I also think the leather, where is was sewn to the knits, was drawing them tightly) eased up and it now hangs straight down, just as in the Dav photo.

Yes, I agree, it's just the knit on the waist. When it loses its tension after a while, your jacket will drape straight on each side. Sometimes it is also down to the pattern as well, some patterns are more tubular and some a more V-shaped. Anyway, it looks good on you, that's the most important part.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Body shape has a lot to do how how a jacket hangs also.
Exactly. It looks your problem much depends on how broad your shoulder is. Secondly, after the jacket is broken in, it starts to mould to your body kind of like your shoes though not as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran