Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I get for my next suit?

Jovan

Suspended
I am seriously considering getting a navy worsted suit now instead of tweed (which would have very little wear time where I live). So I'm wondering, what style should I get? As background, I'm 6' tall and fairly thin.

I'm stuck between getting a lowish two button (like Connery in his early 007 days) or a classic three-roll-two, pleats or none. The lowish two button is something I'm not certain I could pull off with my build. Plain back, nothing terribly fancy. I do like my narrow lapels though, I'd get them on either. Basically, I'm torn between my love for Ivy League style and my love for classic English tailoring.

Any help would be appreciated.

iammatt

Familiar Face
While I think that Connery looked great as bond, I am not so sure that I actualy liked his suits at all. The colors were great, and he wore (and wears) clothes beautifully, but the actual tailoring always looked a little out of balance to me with the clean but wide chest and narrow lapels.

On the other hand, a well done Ivy League suit is a great classic and one that I think would not only look better now, but would look better over time and especially would look better at your age and in your stage of life.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Really, you sound like you would be the perfect "clothes hanger" type of model figure. I would say that if you could find a suit that has enough waist suppression, I'd say go with 3 button, but if it is too baggy, it'll just look like a navy potato sack.

Jovan

Suspended
Mr. Rover: I'm looking to get a suit custom made online from either Indy Magnoli or another clothier I'm familiar with. I could probably wear a regular rolled three button, but I like to show a lot of shirt and tie. If it's going to be that, I prefer it to be lowish in stance.

Jovan

Suspended
Eek. The "Beatles John Lennon" suit? I can't say I like the cut of that at all.

Now this, on the other hand...

I actually like the look of the English mink Cashmere flannel. It could be a bit overly warm for Florida though. I'm looking for a nice 10 or 11 oz solid fabric.

Jovan

Suspended
Okay, I think I'm pretty much settled on MySuitShop/MyCustomTailor/RavisTailor with budgetary and fabric considerations. I think the 11oz flannel would do me fine. Is there anyone who's had good/bad experiences with them?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
I am seriously considering getting a navy worsted suit now instead of tweed (which would have very little wear time where I live). .

Jovan said:
I think the 11oz flannel would do me fine.

Go North young man, go North. I love my flannels and tweeds, but not in Florida; it's incongruous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany