• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What size brim do you prefer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Mr Maltby, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Mr Maltby

Mr Maltby One of the Regulars

I was going to make this a poll but screwed it up. Anyway, what size brim do you chaps sports??
  2. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I sport everything between 1-3/4 to 3 inches.
    I look best in about 2 and a quarter- 2 and a half.
  3. I have a heavy face, am overweight, and so look best in a 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch brim and a not too high hat, no taper.

4. The Wingnut

The Wingnut One Too Many

2 3/8" - 2 1/2" Looks best on me. Any bigger and the hat wears me. Any smaller, and my ears (since they stick out a bit) look huge.
  5. At least..

.. a 2 3\4' and no more than 3'..
  6. Mr Maltby

Mr Maltby One of the Regulars

im a 1 1/2 inch man, myself. I like em stingy!
  7. 2 1/2 to 2 7/8 Look the best on me.
  8. spiridon

spiridon A-List Customer

Sometimes I still get in the mood for a 2-inch brim, but overall I seem to favor a 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 inch brim.
  9. budward

budward One of the Regulars

Just a bit over 2 1/2.
  10. Fatdutchman

Fatdutchman Practically Family

The hat in my avatar is 2 3/4" front and back, and 2 1/2" on the sides. The 2 1/2" is a bare minimum for me, and I think I do better with 2 3/4" - 3". I'm having a "Howard Hughes" beaver hat made for me with a 3" bound brim right now. Should have it within a couple of weeks or so.
  11. PeeWee

PeeWee One of the Regulars

2" with a shorter crown up to 2 1/2" with a taller crown suits me.
  12. tinmanzzz

tinmanzzz A-List Customer

2 1/2 is about min. 2 3/4 is best although, I have a Itialian job at 3" I REALLY LIKE.
    Nothing under 2 1/4
    However, I think hat size plays into this
    62 cm
  13. deanglen

deanglen My Mail is Forwarded Here

2 1/2" minimum.

14. DocBob345

DocBob345 Familiar Face

I have to do the larger brims - 2 1/2" to 3" because of my round ol' noggin.
  15. 2 3/4 to 3, Have a couple of nice westerns at 3 3/4

DOUGLAS My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think 2-5/8 is best for me, although 2-1/2 is not bad.
  17. I used to think that nothing narrower than 2 and 1/2 inches would work for me, but then I came across a very clean light blue 1957-vintage Stetson Ambassador with a Mode Edge brim that measures only 2 and 3/8s, and it's now among my faves. So it kinda depends on some other factors, I suppose, such as crown height and shape and color. Still, I've yet to find a truly narrow brim (2 inches and under, say) that looks right on me. I've passed along some quite nice old stingy brims, not because they weren't nice lids or that I wasn't happy to have them in my collection, but because I never wore 'em.
  18. thin face, thin shoulders. 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" is best. I can wear wider brims (in fact need to) if i have on a jacket with wide (18") shoulders.

19. Most of mine seem to be in the 2" range, to about 2¬?" on my Panama, iIrc. I go by the overall look.
  20. 44forrest

44forrest New in Town

3" absolute minimum and prefer a 4". Will take up to a 5". But I wear western hats mostly.