Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size brim do you prefer

The Wingnut

One Too Many
2 3/8" - 2 1/2" Looks best on me. Any bigger and the hat wears me. Any smaller, and my ears (since they stick out a bit) look huge.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
The hat in my avatar is 2 3/4" front and back, and 2 1/2" on the sides. The 2 1/2" is a bare minimum for me, and I think I do better with 2 3/4" - 3". I'm having a "Howard Hughes" beaver hat made for me with a 3" bound brim right now. Should have it within a couple of weeks or so.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
2 1/2 is about min. 2 3/4 is best although, I have a Itialian job at 3" I REALLY LIKE.
Nothing under 2 1/4
However, I think hat size plays into this
62 cm

I used to think that nothing narrower than 2 and 1/2 inches would work for me, but then I came across a very clean light blue 1957-vintage Stetson Ambassador with a Mode Edge brim that measures only 2 and 3/8s, and it's now among my faves. So it kinda depends on some other factors, I suppose, such as crown height and shape and color. Still, I've yet to find a truly narrow brim (2 inches and under, say) that looks right on me. I've passed along some quite nice old stingy brims, not because they weren't nice lids or that I wasn't happy to have them in my collection, but because I never wore 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21