Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size brim do you prefer

Red McCutcheon

New in Town
d

I'm a bit on the lean side with a narrow face, and I currently sport a 2" brim with a center dent and high crown. The old ears poke out a bit and I fear that a larger brim might make them look like wings.

lol

Marty M.

Vendor
I like 2 1/4 the best for me. My 2 3/4 that I wear looks a little like something that Sally Field from "The Flying Nun" would wear.
Marty Mathis

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Paddy -- I am looking at the photos you posted and I think you look good in all sorts of brim sizes and shapes. Lucky you, some of us are more limited by our head shapes or weight.

My absolute favorite on you is the light colored fedora in the second to the last photo (I think it must be the cream Borsolino). That hat makes you look like an adventurer and a gentleman. Which, of course, you are.

karol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Karol!

Believe it or not, I was considering bringing 'that' hat on the US expedition, but pulled it on the 11th hour, because I didn't think it would stick the punishment I knew it would get on the travels.
With it being 'vintage' I just couldn't risk it and I had to limit myself to just 'one' hat (on pure practicalities of moving around).

So I decided to opt for and 'road test' the Aviator which took a bashing (so to speak) from all angles including GreyHound Buses, Airlines, restaurant diners, the streets of LA to the alleyways of Boston and NYC and British Rail/London Underground. It took the 'slings and arrows' and still was robust enough to come back fighting and reshaped.

Sadly, I'm not sure the Borsie would have faired so well and in any case I wouldn't risk it with a fine hat of that age.

But I really appreciate your comments there Karol, as I do take on board what constructive things folk venture on here ;) Cheers!!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
scotrace said:
2.5". A fair amount of money wasted experimenting until It got figured out though. That seems to be the only way - try 'em until it feels right.
Ditto on the experimentation, though I think that brims around 2-7/8" are best for me. At least that's what I'm most comfortable in. I think I agree with Metropd and Baron Kurtz. I'm thin and tall, and I think the slightly wider brim is more complimentary. Well, at least I don't as ridiculous as I do in a stingy!

As much as I work outdoors, I have my slouches with 3-1/4" brims that work better here in the desert. I don't wear them around unless I'm going to the field, though.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
It depends on the size and style of the crown as much as our faces, I think.

I have an Akubra Fedora/Sydney that looks really good at 2 1/2, on and off my head, but my Snowy River ...

It was 3 1/4, I think, but I cut it down to 2 7/8. It's still the widest brim I have, but it's starting to look too small to me now. The crown is so low and wide that it looks out of proportion with the brim cut down.

Just a thought

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I like 2 1/4 or 2 3/8" brims in fedoras for a medium to narrow face structure. Larger brims work well in western hats.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Absolutely no less than 2 3/4". 2 7/8", 3", 3 1/4" are all better. I tend towards the Western/country side of the hat spectrum, so that's natural.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I've got everything from 1' 5/8" to 3' brims, plus wider-brimmed cowboy hats, and I like 'em all just fine. Variety is the spice of life! I never settle on just one look -- like to mix it up. That applies to suits, shoes, everything else too.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Similar to Mingoslim, i guess. Sweet spot is about 2 3/8ths to 2 5/8ths. I will only buy 2 1/4th for something rare (last one was a green Barbiso peluche) and I have some 2 3/4 - 2 7/8ths. Funny, I didn't plan it this way, but the wider brims in my hats are only on OR thin-ribbon style hats, so I tolerate the widest ones on those sunny hot days only (I have some thin-ribbons with more reasonable 2 1/2 - 2 5/8 ths widths also). All the thin-ribbons are in the basement until late spring, wearing heavier regular fedoras now. . . . and on really cold days, add earbags. They are a neat addition!!! I went for one pair of the grey non-insulated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21