Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to use for the most damaged hair

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Imagine the most damaged hair you've ever seen........that's how my friend's hair is.

My friend loves to color her hair red, but in doing so has to color her hair often. Her hair is very damaged especially at the ends. She has the most knots in her hair and can only brush it out after a wash. She said if she uses a leave in conditioner that her hair looks gross. I was going to suggest for her to use a cholesterol deep conditioning treatment on the ends of her hair. Keep in mind that she colors her hair often.....brushes her hair every 4 days..... washes it once a week.....and gets a haircut once a month. Her hair is a little beyond the shoulder, is fine, is really wavy, and frizzy.

What would you suggest for her to get her hair to make it knot free, less frizzy, and healthy?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RetroBabydoll said:
My friend loves to color her hair red, but in doing so has to color her hair often. Her hair is very damaged especially at the ends. She has the most knots in her hair and can only brush it out after a wash. She said if she uses a leave in conditioner that her hair looks gross. I was going to suggest for her to use a cholesterol deep conditioning treatment on the ends of her hair. Keep in mind that she colors her hair often.....brushes her hair every 4 days..... washes it once a week.....and gets a haircut once a month. Her hair is a little beyond the shoulder, is fine, is really wavy, and frizzy.

She should try using a leave in conditioner only on the ends. She may want to try switching which ones she uses if she thinks it leaves her hair feeling gross. She should try brushing her hair every day. Not brushing it is most likely making the problem worse. Also, when her hair is wet, she should be combing it not brushing it. Brushing wet hair is REALLY bad for your hair! How often is she coloring her hair? Does "often" mean every other week, one a month, once every 6 weeks? She should try reducing the frequency of her colors and also just touching up the roots when she does color her hair, rather than doing all of the hair.

There are a lot of great deep conditioners out there, but I would suggest she gets deep conditioning treatments at her salon, as they will know what is going to work best for her particular hair type.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
She should try using a leave in conditioner only on the ends. She may want to try switching which ones she uses if she thinks it leaves her hair feeling gross. She should try brushing her hair every day. Not brushing it is most likely making the problem worse. Also, when her hair is wet, she should be combing it not brushing it. Brushing wet hair is REALLY bad for your hair! How often is she coloring her hair? Does "often" mean every other week, one a month, once every 6 weeks? She should try reducing the frequency of her colors and also just touching up the roots when she does color her hair, rather than doing all of the hair.

There are a lot of great deep conditioners out there, but I would suggest she gets deep conditioning treatments at her salon, as they will know what is going to work best for her particular hair type.

I think she colors it every month to every two months. I wonder if she's just touching up the roots or coloring all of it. I'll have to find out. Thank you.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I swear by SoftSheen-Carson's Optimum Oil Therapy shampoos and conditioners. Although if her hair is thin it may be too heavy (not greasy). It's in the ethnic aisle. I love this stuff and it is the best thing I have used on my hair. I also use the shine booster, over nite, dry hair healer and the hair and scalp quencher. The last three I tend to goop on and leave in over night. Because I do put so much on, it does take two washings to get the full greasy feel off. But so worth it! I would just suggest she use the shampoo and conditioner at first. If that is too heavy for her my back up is SoftSheen-Carson's Dark and Lovely line.
http://www.softsheen-carson.com/?c=13&category=44

PS

A-List Customer
I would recommend a CO wash. But if she is already staying away from cream rinse I'd don't know if she'd be willing to do it. I have past shoulder length wavy/frizzy hair that I don't brush...I just co wash, de-tangle in the shower with a big comb then plop into a tshirt.I only use shampoo once a week...found my hair hates sulfates and that is why it would frizz but not now....CO wash also preserves color so she might not have to do that as often.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:
I swear by SoftSheen-Carson's Optimum Oil Therapy shampoos and conditioners. Although if her hair is thin it may be too heavy (not greasy). It's in the ethnic aisle. I love this stuff and it is the best thing I have used on my hair. I also use the shine booster, over nite, dry hair healer and the hair and scalp quencher. The last three I tend to goop on and leave in over night. Because I do put so much on, it does take two washings to get the full greasy feel off. But so worth it! I would just suggest she use the shampoo and conditioner at first. If that is too heavy for her my back up is SoftSheen-Carson's Dark and Lovely line.
http://www.softsheen-carson.com/?c=13&category=44
I love that stuff.
For shampo I use Cream of Nature which is amazing. It detangles and leavs my hair so soft and conditiond. The shampoo is so great you can use it without conditioner.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, the best everyday condition is the coconut mango moisture rich conditioner by Back to Basics. If she's coloring alot, she'll need a protein treatment like Graham Webb silk repair "advanced hair recovery treatment". Once she gets it moisturized, it should help to calm the frizz.

anabolina

A-List Customer
As a fellow bottle redhead, I can sympathize with your friend. I do my roots every 3 weeks or so, and the whole head every couple of months give red's propensity for fading. My hair is also wavy and frizzy with no products. She's doing good to shampoo it infrequently. I think I shampoo once or twice a week depending on my product usage. Note that my hair doesn't get weighed down easily so I can be more generous with what I put on my hair. Also there are some really lightwieght leave in conditioners she may want to try.

My hair has been much healthier since I started deep conditioning it regularly. Your friend has to make sure she washes it out completely if she has a problem with her hair being weighed down. I love the "Yes to Carrots" brand hair mask. I buy it at Walgreens and it smells divine and ake my hair wonderfully shiny. I also use the After Color treatment they sell at Sally's and I can't remember the brand name. It make my hair seriously shiny. I also use the John Frieda red color gloss or glaze or something. I've heard it can weigh hair down, but it revitalizes my color and doesn't for me.

I also use the Fantasia color gloss gel I get from Sallys. This seems to make my hair shiny and its pretty light weight and I think it does help my hair look redder.

With all this attention I'm paying to my hair, it actually looks healthier now then before I started coloring it.

Let's see, what else do I put on my hair, lots of things. Sometimes you just need to experiement to find what works best for you. Also note that you need to use the right amount of product, maybe your freind simply needs to use less? After all you can always put more procduct on, and its hard to take it off.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
This is all great. I'll have to check out Sally's for some products. She seems hopeless with her hair and said she's tried everything. I think she'll have to switch up the conditioner. I'll do some research on Graham Webb silk repair "advanced hair recovery treatment." I'll also have to check out the After Color treatments offered. Hmmm.......sounds like my friend will be getting hair products for Christmas.

Thanks Ladies!!!!

Keep the suggestions coming. :D

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I was going to say Queen Helene's Cholesterol, I used to use it when I set my hair all the time & never had split ends. What if she used it as a pre-shampoo conditioner? That way it would condition her hair, then serve to protect it when it was washed, and the shampoo would have something to take off.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
I was going to say Queen Helene's Cholesterol, I used to use it when I set my hair all the time & never had split ends. What if she used it as a pre-shampoo conditioner? That way it would condition her hair, then serve to protect it when it was washed, and the shampoo would have something to take off.

That is brilliant!

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Retrobabydoll,
My mom has been dying her hair since she was 27 when she went gray...it's red and matches her natural color but she colors it once a month. She keeps it really soft by using Giovanni leave in conditioner....it's in the health food stores. My mom doesn't leave it in though she rinses it and it still does the trick. She also uses Herbacuticals...it's an All Natural hair dye and comes almost exclusively in red shades. It prevents breaking, dryness and stretching and all of my "all natural" friends (there are a ton in CO) swear by this stuff. There is also a Frizz-b-gone by Giovanni that reverses damage and I even use it when I use hot curling irons more than 3 times a week.
I don't know if I can give the address to the Herbacueticals hair dye place in Napa, but I have the address and their number...I don't want this to get deleted so I will give you my email instead and you can email me and ask for the info if your friend is interested. my email is retromom147@yahoo.com
Hope this helps...btw For an overnight treatment...I know it sounds gross...have your friend mush an avacado and rub it into her head wrapping her hair around it and putting a shower cap on it for a few hours. Then wash and rinse. To get the feel and smell out have her add some lemon juice to her shampoo. It smells great, removes grease and as a bonus will give her some all natural...gorgeous highlights. Hope this helps. Good luck:)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Hey Retromom! I'll be sure to let you know what she decides on doing and how it all turns out. Thank you so much.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Yw babydoll, justhave alot of friends and family with the damaged hair problem because of our dry climate and my mom's genetics...naturally curly, irish hair...lol.
Quick note though...the price for the all natural products is steeper than that for drugstore proucts. But in the long run it is often less expensive than the salon depending on the product so it should even out in the end. Good luck and hope your week is going great!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I've had very good resulats with heavy duty protein treatments like Aphogee or Nexxus Emergencee. It's like Joico K-pak times ten. That and the conditioner-as -shampoo routine that has already been suggested.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
I will tell you what has helped mine a lot (and I dye it red). Is that John Frieda Glaze. This one...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...ec=frgl_wic&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku1722792

You shampoo, condition (and maybe here she wants a heavy duty one) then you use this glaze while still in the shower/bath, let it sit on for about 3 min. It adds a little color in without damaging it, which over time builds up to prevent you from having to dye it too often (which is the thing with reds, they fade too easy) and also helps blend your roots in so you do not have to dye it so often as well as just brighten it/freshen it with a touch of color. It conditions your hair in addition to the conditioner beforehand. It leaves your hair SUPER shiny. I have had so many compliments on my hair "looking healthy" since I have started using it. It rinses pretty clean, you just have to watch that your water runs clear and scrub your hands ASAP, it will stain them....and stain your skin if you get it on your forehead, etc.

They make a clear, brown and blond shades too.

I really love it. I will still use the clear, for sure, if I go back natural in the spring/summer. The shine alone is just amazing. It really makes your hair look great.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I vote for Aveda Sap Moss shampoo & conditioner. I have thick, coarse, color-treated hair that I heat style daily, and this is the only product line I've ever used that has completely transformed my hair. It is in the best condition I can ever remember! They also have a pre-shampoo treatment that I use as a leave-in, it is fantastic. Little bit pricey, but worth it!

For deep conditioners, I like Aura's Cherry Almond Bark, and Biolage or Biotera's conditioning balm. Aura and Biotera are both "knockoff" brands you can find at Sally Beauty.

I have that John Frieda red glaze that Dracca mentioned, but I haven't tried it yet.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i have coloured my hair white blonde, then went to dying it red and now its black, so my hair's had quite a battering too!
I find the best shampoo and conditioner is Le Kair Cholesterol, Its better than queen helene.You should be able to get it from most afro carribbean hair shops. I've been using it for a year now, and i'd never use anything else! Its cheap too! yippee!:)

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Good news Retrobabydoll,
I have found an avacodo Pre-shampoo hair treatment by Burt's Bee's! I was in the healthfood store today getting a burn ointment for my son's ear (I missed just a tiny spot on his ear with the sunscreen and it's almost a blister).
Anyway...I didn't buy any because I don't need a treatment for another 2-3 months but when I do I'm going to get this treatment...it smelled good too. And since it's Pre-shampoo it won't leave her hair greasy or weighted down.
Hope this helps, hugs!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
artful dodgette said:
i have coloured my hair white blonde, then went to dying it red and now its black, so my hair's had quite a battering too!
I find the best shampoo and conditioner is Le Kair Cholesterol, Its better than queen helene.You should be able to get it from most afro carribbean hair shops. I've been using it for a year now, and i'd never use anything else! Its cheap too! yippee!:)

I use that stuff too and I color my hair about every 4-6 weeks and have very fine hair. I'll usually put on my regular conditioner over my whole head after shampooing and then add the Le Kair Cholesterol just to the ends. My hair has been a lot healthier and stronger since I started using the Le Kair stuff. Here in the Midwest, I found it in the ethnic hair care section at Wal-Mart and its under $2! Best bargain I've found so far. I'm going to have to try their shampoo next!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo