Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to use for the most damaged hair

Dani California

Familiar Face
RetroBabydoll said:
Perfect! I'm going to go this weekend!!! Thank you so much ladies!

Hi RetroBabydoll,

I'm going to my hairdresser this weekend and he's going to do this new "shine conditioning" for my hair. I'll let you know how it goes, so if you wanna get that done (I believe you are in the LA area?) as well as using the "over the counter" products.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Ada Veen said:
So I used the glaze. It made my hair feel lovely and my boyfriend kept saying how amazing my hair smelled, but after I brushed it it seemed to go a bit flyaway and static-y. Anyone got any pointers on controlling that? I looked like I had a van der graff in my pocket!

I bought the clear glaze a few weeks ago as I had a money off voucher. I don't usually have an issue with shiny hair but I'd just put my poor hair through several more stripping, bleaching and dyeing jobs so it needed some TLC. The first time I used the glaze I really liked it, the shine was beautiful, but the second time it left my hair feeling quite dirty (I'd just washed and conditioned it) and it didn't look as shiny [huh]

Referring to the original thread - I recommend the Aussie range. I currently use the shampoo and deep conditioner for coloured hair and it is amazing, leaves your hair soft and smelling beautiful. After the aforementioned 5 hour hair stripping extravaganza my hair felt literally like straw and was really dull, not at all like my hair normally, but after a few days of using the 3 minute miracle deep conditioner my hair basically went back to normal. I know Kerastase comes highly recommended, especially their deep conditioners for dry hair, but they are so expensive.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Dani California said:
Hi RetroBabydoll,

I'm going to my hairdresser this weekend and he's going to do this new "shine conditioning" for my hair. I'll let you know how it goes, so if you wanna get that done (I believe you are in the LA area?) as well as using the "over the counter" products.

Can't wait to hear about what you thought about the shine conditioning. I gave my friend different products to try out. Funny thing is.....she hasn't really talked to me since.....hmmm.....I'm hoping it's because she's busy around the holidays and busy with her son's birthday party. :confused:

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
SarahLouise said:
I know Kerastase comes highly recommended, especially their deep conditioners for dry hair, but they are so expensive.

Seems like most products that are really great tend to be expensive. It's expensive being a woman.

Dani California

Familiar Face
RetroBabydoll said:
Can't wait to hear about what you thought about the shine conditioning. I gave my friend different products to try out. Funny thing is.....she hasn't really talked to me since.....hmmm.....I'm hoping it's because she's busy around the holidays and busy with her son's birthday party. :confused:

Sorry for the delay, but I was busy during the holiday. As for the shine conditioning. It was incredible! My hair still looks amazing and it's been almost 3 weeks. Basically, I think it's like John Frieda's Clear Glaze (no color at all), but a higher quality potency. They put it all through my hair and then sat me under a steamer for 20 minutes. It totally brightened my blond locks. I've been growing my natural color out since april and i was amazed to see how blond/red my natural color really is. From what my hairdresser said, it also helps lift all the bad mineral deposits from your hair. It helped give back alot of protein to my hair as well. Another good thing to have if nobody has mentioned this before, is to buy a shower filter. It helps take away chlorine that is in our water. I have one from Home Depot ($20 for the full kit and $10 for replacement filters) and it does make a total difference to your skin and hair. No need to get the expensive brands, they all work the same.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Dani, what's the product name on the "shine conditioning thing"? Or is that code and all the hair dressers will know what it is? ;)

This thread is very informative! Since I just had a drastic color change, my hair dresser gave me the rest of her pot of "It's a 10 Miracle Hair Mask" to leave on for a while and then rinse out to help my hair recover. I'll report on it's wonderful-ness or lack thereof.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Clara, I wouldn't do any kind of hair 'glazing', as you don't want to seal any color in your hair at this time. Just stick to conditioners till you get the color you want.
Nikki

PS

A-List Customer
Olive Oil has always helped me. Especially when I went dark but my hair took too much color and i tried for ever to ease some of the color out and ended up in the salon for 6 plus hours getting back to blonde.

ShortClara

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Clara, I wouldn't do any kind of hair 'glazing', as you don't want to seal any color in your hair at this time. Just stick to conditioners till you get the color you want.
Nikki

Nikki, you are so awesome - thanks! I feel so chi-chi with my own personal hair advisor :p

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Thoughts on Mineral OIl in hair

Hi Ladies,

I have noticed alot of products with mineral oil in them. I know it can get greasy fast, but it does seem to provide some shine and smoothness.

It is in VitaPoint, Vo5 Hairdressing, and a handful of other products I use. I like the effect on my hair, if I don't use too much. Even some pomades I use has it... Although I just generally stay away from the Petrolatum.

Any hairdressers or other ladies out there have thoughts on mineral oil? Good? Bad? Uselful/less long term benefits?

Thanks so much!

Desi

Dani California

Familiar Face
ShortClara said:
Dani, what's the product name on the "shine conditioning thing"? Or is that code and all the hair dressers will know what it is? ;)

I think it is hairdresser code:) He just called it shine conditioning and that there is no color in it. I've been growing out my natural color so I did not want any color deposits put on my hair! It just brightened my natural locks. Since they use Wella / Sebastian products in their salon...i'm thinking that is the brand. I've googled for it, but had no luck.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
OK, I been on a shopping spree this morning, list in hand with product recommendations from this thread. I bought almost everything. I'm having real trouble with my hair right now and am even considering dying it back to it's natural colour, if I can remember what that is lol . So before I make any rash decisions I'm going to try to save it. I have a lot of stress right now and my hair is reacting badly to it. Wish me luck.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Coconut oil is amazing for hair- the protein actually bonds with your hair.

Have you considered henna? You can get a lot of different red shades depending what you mix it with, and henna actually strengthens your hair.

Blondie

Practically Family
Hey G.G,
when my hair starts to snap, Redken Extreme Deep Fuel Durable Strengthening Treatment for Very Distressed Hair, they come in a pack of 5 treatments, i love it !!!!!

jayem

A-List Customer
Make a mask of:

1 packet Ion Deep Conditioner
1 cup of regular conditioner
1 packet of hair gloss (any brand)

It looks like a lot, but the more the better. Massage that into the head and make sure to especially cover the ends. Put a plastic cap on and sit under a heating cap for an hour or longer. Wash it off, make sure you don't shampoo. I do that about once a month and my hair stays silky soft.

Also, tell her to avoid hot tools and hair dryers, as they can further damage.

roots66

One of the Regulars
roselily said:
Coconut oil is amazing for hair- the protein actually bonds with your hair.

I bought some today and am trying to figure out the best way to use it. There are conflicting reports online--some say to use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, others say it's fine to use a small amount as a leave-in treatment after washing. Thoughts?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
After reading about castor oil on the ocm thread, I put a load on my hair and left it overnight, then shampooed it out in the morning. It didn't seem to make much difference, but I'll see how it goes tomorrow after I have styled it properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo