Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to use for the most damaged hair

ruby_cadillac

New in Town
Dracca said:
I will tell you what has helped mine a lot (and I dye it red). Is that John Frieda Glaze. This one...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...ec=frgl_wic&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku1722792

You shampoo, condition (and maybe here she wants a heavy duty one) then you use this glaze while still in the shower/bath, let it sit on for about 3 min. It adds a little color in without damaging it, which over time builds up to prevent you from having to dye it too often (which is the thing with reds, they fade too easy) and also helps blend your roots in so you do not have to dye it so often as well as just brighten it/freshen it with a touch of color. It conditions your hair in addition to the conditioner beforehand. It leaves your hair SUPER shiny. I have had so many compliments on my hair "looking healthy" since I have started using it. It rinses pretty clean, you just have to watch that your water runs clear and scrub your hands ASAP, it will stain them....and stain your skin if you get it on your forehead, etc.

They make a clear, brown and blond shades too.

I really love it. I will still use the clear, for sure, if I go back natural in the spring/summer. The shine alone is just amazing. It really makes your hair look great.

Dracca, is the clear just a colour free glaze, then?
I furiously moisturise my hair with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor (swear by it) once a week and get really annoyed that I can't use any of those glaze/colour boost conditioners as I dye my hair white blonde and the blonde glazes give an awful yellow tinge!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have red hair dye in my hair as well, and I have really found this product works wonders:
41UktMp91mL._SS500_.jpg

I leave it in my hair for 5 minutes 1 or 2 times a week and it really brings a lot of the colour back (it has a small amount of colour in the conditioner, hence "Colour Boost"). I only wash my hair twice a week, so if I don't use the Sunsilk twice in one week the other wash I will use a product called a deep conditioner called Terax Original Crema which works wonders. You can get it at most beauty supply stores.
2353.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
A good conditioner for the shower without being a heavy cream is Redken's Color Extend Total Recharge, you spray it in but rinse it out~ could leave in the first few times. It's WONDERFUL.
http://www.redken.com/products/displayProduct.cfm?p=527
I also highly reccomend Potion 9 by Sebastion, which is another leave in.

I totally second the vote for Nexxus Emergencee. I have also seen great results with Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Breakage Defense Strengthening Spray,
http://hocks.com/Merchant2/merchant...909719&Category_Code=pantene&Product_Count=34

Be sure that she is only using permanant hair color on her new regrowth, and a semi-permanant on her ends, or no more than 10 volume peroxide. If she feels her red is fading too quickly, she may need to add more red to the formula. Or, if she is a natural or previously colored blond, she may need a filler to help hold the color.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yes, CAT is a salon product. Very, very good.. but you have to be careful as it's made to build back the protien in the hair. And too much can actually make it worse.
Nikki

Girl Friday said:
Redken also makes a product call CAT, I'm not sure if it is a salon only product. But I've seen it work miracles!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I second the leave-in Giovanni conditioner recommendation...amazing stuff!!

Their shampoos are wonderful, too. They contain no sulfates, so they're extremely gentle and perfect for colored hair.

I also like Aveda's "Sap Moss" pre-shampoo conditioner as an occasional treatment.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Retro, you're going to school for hairdressing, right? You should be able to find salon products at the wholesale places easily.

Another great product I've used over the years, esp. before chemical services.. but great detangler too, is Porosity Control from Sally's.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I second that poirosity control, I dunno what is in it.. but it really does detangle. Go figure.

Yup, awesome stuff. Think of it this way, the outer layers of each hair strand kind of look like shingles on a roof. They're supposed to lay down nice and smooth, but when we put chemicals on our hair, and blow dry and stuff, the shingles get raised and roughed up. Making it porus like a dry sponge. The porosity control and other conditioners like it will make the layers smooth back down.

Another thing that helps to smooth the hair down is to rinse your hair in as cold of water as you can stand. Heat opens the "shingles".

Hope that all made sense!
Nikki

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Yup, awesome stuff. Think of it this way, the outer layers of each hair strand kind of look like shingles on a roof. They're supposed to lay down nice and smooth, but when we put chemicals on our hair, and blow dry and stuff, the shingles get raised and roughed up. Making it porus like a dry sponge. The porosity control and other conditioners like it will make the layers smooth back down.

Another thing that helps to smooth the hair down is to rinse your hair in as cold of water as you can stand. Heat opens the "shingles".

Hope that all made sense!
Nikki

Perfect! I'm going to go this weekend!!! Thank you so much ladies!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Dracca said:
I will tell you what has helped mine a lot (and I dye it red). Is that John Frieda Glaze. This one...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...ec=frgl_wic&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku1722792

You shampoo, condition (and maybe here she wants a heavy duty one) then you use this glaze while still in the shower/bath, let it sit on for about 3 min. It adds a little color in without damaging it, which over time builds up to prevent you from having to dye it too often (which is the thing with reds, they fade too easy) and also helps blend your roots in so you do not have to dye it so often as well as just brighten it/freshen it with a touch of color. It conditions your hair in addition to the conditioner beforehand. It leaves your hair SUPER shiny. I have had so many compliments on my hair "looking healthy" since I have started using it. It rinses pretty clean, you just have to watch that your water runs clear and scrub your hands ASAP, it will stain them....and stain your skin if you get it on your forehead, etc.

They make a clear, brown and blond shades too.

I really love it. I will still use the clear, for sure, if I go back natural in the spring/summer. The shine alone is just amazing. It really makes your hair look great.

I just bought this, will report back after washing!

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
I just bought this, will report back after washing!

Hey good luck! That stuff is really addictive, I just had highlights put in yesterday and the first thing I did when I made my appointment was go to drugstore.com and order it in the blond! I am dreading washing my hair today with no glaze here yet....especially after all the bleach on my head yesterday :(

Ada Veen

Practically Family
So I used the glaze. It made my hair feel lovely and my boyfriend kept saying how amazing my hair smelled, but after I brushed it it seemed to go a bit flyaway and static-y. Anyone got any pointers on controlling that? I looked like I had a van der graff in my pocket!

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
So I used the glaze. It made my hair feel lovely and my boyfriend kept saying how amazing my hair smelled, but after I brushed it it seemed to go a bit flyaway and static-y. Anyone got any pointers on controlling that? I looked like I had a van der graff in my pocket!

Uh oh, it never does that to me but I always set my hair (using mousse) first thing too. Maybe a touch of hairspray?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I tried that. I suppose everyone's hair is different, so it will be different on different people. Is your hair coloured? Mine isn't, maybe that makes a difference. It's just fine and dull :(

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
I tried that. I suppose everyone's hair is different, so it will be different on different people. Is your hair coloured? Mine isn't, maybe that makes a difference. It's just fine and dull :(

Yea it was colored...it still is but I am naturally a dark blond and was a dark all over auburn until my highlights yesterday. I really can't wait to get the glaze in the mail in blond, my hair look so dull today.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
I'll try it again and leave it on for longer.

I think it says 2-3 minutes (or close) but I usually left in on a long time. Mainly just because ont he days I wash my hair I take a nice long bath instead of a shower and I would do about a 10 min conditioner and about a 10 min glaze everytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo