Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a job fair?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Depends what kinda job fair - scientific, creative, managerial?

I guess a good bet to mark you out from the crowd, but not alarm potential employers in the way it would if - say - you turned up looking like Jake Gittes (sans nose bandage!), would be to wear a slim-fitting, three-button suit in a dark colour, white shirt and a slim tie, and shined shoes, and slick your hair back with a side-parting. Y'know, kinda like a Mad Men tip, that'd seem hip enough to be memorable but wouldn't be outta place... just a thought!

I only made it through the first couple of episodes of Mad Men, as I found it very poor, but it does seem to be a widely-popular cultural touchstone at the mo', at least in the UK...

Good luck with the job hunting!

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Dark suit, plain tie, shined shoes (little bit of water, polish, and an old t-shirt), clean, with a hundred copies of your resume.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed with the others.

Conservative = black freshly polished shoes, dark navy suit, white point or spread collar shirt which is ironed and buttoned (and starched? ;) ), complimentary tie that's not too loud, combed and cut hair - short is good - with a little Brylcreem, a leather strap watch matching the belt leather or metal band watch matching the buckle/cufflinks.

If you want to stand out, you may use a cotton/linen pocket square in white - maybe go with the banker's style, as opposed to the points. You could also wear a subtle gray or white pinstripe, but nothing beyond that (no checks, tweeds, etc).

If you're planning to stand out, do so conservatively - in such a way that you're not consciously standing out, but subtley with style and charisma. A smile, firm hand shake and solid outfit will get you a job before any gimmicks.

*edit - let me add one more thing. Don't wear a fedora, leave it in the car. First, you should NOT be wearing it indoors to begin with, which means you'll likely be carrying it around from booth to booth. Not only will this call undue attention to you, it will look out of place in a mob of poorly-to-smartly dressed folks who don't sport hats. Leave the fedora for a one-on-one, or for after you're hired.

ssfilez

New in Town
One thing that I am sure is that a person should never overdress. I think an applicant will get better chances of getting good impression by trying not to overwhelm employers. I suggest "smart casual" style all the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy