Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
Lawless (2012).

.....for the... 78th (???) time.

Love that film. Story is good but, to me, they just NAILED the authenticity.
It's the period of time I should be in and it's my neck-o-the woods....sorta...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Blades of Glory on the laptop with my cabin mate Padre Matt.

For some reason I really love that movie....

"He's an ice-devouring sex volcano. Chaz Michael Michaels - he IS figure skating!"

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The good, bad and ugly.
Sad Hill, I have been here, July 2014.

Screenshot2014-12-07at222722_zps7665892a.png

DSC_0225_zpsd01a979a.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Black Swan, the Ballet film, not the Tyrone Power swashbuckler.
Never have I been drawn to a film so much I had to watch it again next day. A stunning movie I just wish I had seen it on the big screen rather than a DVD on TV.
The metamorphosis where the dancer changes from a ballerina to the black swan really got me as one of those great movie moments.

"I'll Wait for You" recorded from TCM staring Robert Sterling and Marsh Hunt in this '41 a remake of "Hide Out" from '34. Sterling is a NYC hood who goes up to a farm in Connecticut to hide out after a shoot out with cops (which left him injured and on the lam). He is taken in by a salt-of-the-earth farming family with a cute-as-a-button daughter (Hunt), charmingly decent patriarch and matriarch and tomboy-ish younger daughter.

You can pretty much figure out everything that happens from here: who falls in love, who learns the values of an honest living / of decency, who is then conflicted and who has to pay his debt to society before it all works out. This is what I love about TCM. Is this a great movie - no. But it is a pleasant little diversion movie that makes you feel good if you turn off your cynicism radar for a couple of hours.

I had to get over that Bogie's character wasn't very likeable.
:D

Agreed - that's a big part of it. Early in his career - think "The Petrified Forrest -" Bogie wasn't always the strong, silent, some-what cynical hero type we came to know and love him as - but with "Casablanca," "The Maltese Falcon," etc., that became Bogie. So it is hard to adjust to him as a, basically, unlikeable character. But also, the movie is only okay. I'm always thinking I'm going to find another not-discovered gem of his (I realize on a rational level how stupid that is, but I'm always hoping I will), so I am always disappointed when he's in just an okay movie. Then, after a few viewings - and I'm over my irrational disappointment - I can enjoy the movie on a simple is-it-okay level and I find I enjoy it.

And to be fair to me (how 'bout that, I'm going to be fair to myself, what a guy), every once in awhile, you stumble on a very good movie of a big star that is lessor know: Cary Grant and Carol Lombard in "In Name Only," Jimmy Stewart in "The Mortal Storm," or David Niven in "Separate Tables."

Watched "Kilo 2 Bravo" last night. Holy crap, it was like a horror movie except it was the true story of a British unit in Afghanistan trapped in a minefield. Very well made movie but due to the subject matter cannot recommend it unless you are strong of stomach. Kind of takes the romantic notion out of warfare!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Assault on The Queen. Another film you should watch if your 12, or can partially shut down you brain, so all the implausibility doesn't ruin it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner