Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I rewatched "The Last Waltz" as I am in between power watching mini series and was bored. Enjoyed it yet again, The Band's music really does hold up well, hard to believe it was near 40 years ago for the film and 16 years more for The Band itself.

Crossfire (1947). When Joseph Samuels (Sam Levene) is murdered, Homicide Captain Finlay (Robert Young) must figure out how a group of soldiers might be involved. Co-starring Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan, the performances, solid story, pacing, and lack of wasted footage make this one worth seeing even though the conclusion is a bit rushed and feels somewhat heavy-handed.

^ I missed the first 45 minutes of The Best Years of Our Lives, but really liked what I was able to see. I appreciated the way they presented the former soldiers' struggles without being preachy or beating you to death with the message.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
"The Best Years of Our Lives" - Wow and wow again. Three hours long and none of it's filler! One of the best ever made. Got hooked... next thing I know it's three in the morning! Gasp! Damn you TCM!!!!!

Worf
Agreed~ some of the performances in that film take you completely out of the "I'm watching a movie" mode. It's remarkable that a "coming home" story at the end of the war had the courage to show the lasting damage, beyond the physical, that war had on those men. It didn't soft sell the estrangement in the families and the marriages and even the difficult re-intergration with society* that returning servicemen faced (bomber pilot going back to working in the dime store).
One of the most gripping scenes is when Dana Andrews, near the end of the film, climbs into the bomber and relieves the emotions of flying a combat mission. Additionally, the film student in me likes to note that the aircraft are going to be reused to build housing, so the past is being literally taken apart to build the future.

* For an intense documentary about the emotional troubles of returning GIs, see Let There Be Light, dir. John Huston

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Dead Pool" - Well it's got an "R" rating and it sure earnt it! Definitely NOT your Dad' superhero flick.... and I wouldn't let kids under 15 see it either! Insane and profane is the best way to describe it. You should really be a long time Marvelite (denizen of the Marvel Universe... Captain America, the X-Men and Spiderman) to get all the inside jokes. And there are a TON of inside jokes. I'd rate it somewhere between Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man... but way dirtier than both. We laughed a ton. I recommend it!

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"The Best Years of Our Lives" - Wow and wow again. Three hours long and none of it's filler! One of the best ever made. Got hooked... next thing I know it's three in the morning! Gasp! Damn you TCM!!!!!

Worf

One of the best movies, ever. Period. :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Agreed~ some of the performances in that film take you completely out of the "I'm watching a movie" mode. It's remarkable that a "coming home" story at the end of the war had the courage to show the lasting damage, beyond the physical, that war had on those men. It didn't soft sell the estrangement in the families and the marriages and even the difficult re-intergration with society* that returning servicemen faced (bomber pilot going back to working in the dime store).
One of the most gripping scenes is when Dana Andrews, near the end of the film, climbs into the bomber and relieves the emotions of flying a combat mission. Additionally, the film student in me likes to note that the aircraft are going to be reused to build housing, so the past is being literally taken apart to build the future.

* For an intense documentary about the emotional troubles of returning GIs, see Let There Be Light, dir. John Huston

Let There Be Light is incredibly intense. I shouldn't be shocked that the Army banned it from being shown because it definitely reveals the intense emotional toll of war.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched SPECTRE for the second time. As predicted, I liked it better than the first time I saw it. It really does have all the elements that make Bond so good, and I still remain convinced that Daniel Craig is tied for first place with Connery as far as portraying Bond as Ian Fleming did in the books.

"The Americanization of Emily" with James Garner, Julie Andrews, James Coburn and Melvyn Douglas. I had seen it before, but for some reason it didn't make a big impression on me then, but this time, I was was very impressed. I was amazed at how anti-war it was (made in '64, it just pre-dates the soon-to-surge anti-Vietnam War movement, but maybe anticipates it a bit) and how intelligent the dialogue was. I was also pleased to see that the writers were willing to show the other point of view - which comes out toward the end when Garner's character tries to stand on his anti-war principles - it's nuanced, but there is some balance in that speech. Whatever your political views - and mine far from always align with the writers of this movie - I respect a well written and acted movie that is willing to, somewhat, acknowledge both sides of an argument.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe I saw this film in the movies, though I was only 9 at the time. Or maybe its TV premiere a couple of years later. Great movie, mostly due to the script by Paddy Chayefsky (Marty, The Hospital, Network, etc.) His anti-authoritarian/anti-war stance was his own thing, separate from the emerging Vietnam peace movement. One of the things that it demonstrated when new was that Julie Andrews wasn't just a musical star (she was then only known for Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady on Broadway, and Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella on TV), but a very good dramatic actress.

The first dead man on Omaha Beach must be a sailor!

^^^ Garner does an absolutely fantastic job showing exasperation at and the stupidity of that line: The first dead man on Omaha Beach must be a sailor!

Nobody does cynicism and frustration in an endearing way better than Garner. He basically played that note successfully through every episode of "The Rockford Files."

And I also agree that Andrews showed some real acting chops, but they were all a bit upstaged by Joyce Grenfell playing Andrew's mother.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Time Machine (2002) I was such a fan of the original, I dismissed this film out of hand. Turned out to be pretty good. Definitely liked the machine better then the original. More three dimensional cast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner