Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I saw "APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX"...the extra scenes are not really necessary, they are interesting, but make the movie last too long, almost an hour longer than the original movie I saw in the theater in 1979...
Finally!!! I've been saying the same thing ever since Apocalypse Now Redux was released, but until now no one agreed with me because they love the movie and believe more is better. Thank you!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're starting a three-day run of "Youth," with Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, and Rachel Weisz, three performers who are always welcome on any screen I'm involved with. But the Digital Cinema file they sent us was corrupt and I had to spend six and a half hours yesterday on the phone with various flunkies at Deluxe before I could get a patch to fix it and get it ro run properly. I've seen the first twenty minutes of the picture five times, and after that point I got to where I really didn't care how it ended. Digital Cinema is a crime.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Final day of TCM's 31 days of Oscar. A tear jerking double feature...

"Cyrano De Bergerac" - If only they'd sprung for color.... not for the films sake but so I can see those outrageous French outfits! God Ferrer is master in this film! Absolutely masterful performance....

"Goodbye Mr. Chips" - Yes the original with Robert Donat. Where's the tissues?

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Hoax (2006) For those of you old enough to remember, it was funny to watch all those important men, starring at a speaker phone as if God was on the other end! Spoiler alert, it is now thought that this was the reason for the Water Gate Hotel break in! Very interesting.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Final day of TCM's 31 days of Oscar. A tear jerking double feature...

"Cyrano De Bergerac" - If only they'd sprung for color.... not for the films sake but so I can see those outrageous French outfits! God Ferrer is master in this film! Absolutely masterful performance....

I have long wondered whether the plumes on those hats in this film and the 1970s' "The Three Musketeers" and "The Four Musketeers" and similar historical era films, aren't historically inaccurately placed on the wrong side of many of the hats?
I am under the impression that the custom of having the ornament on men's hats on the left side dates from this era, primarily to avoid the plumes from getting in the way of one's sword, as fencing was always taught to gentlemen to be done only with the right hand, and ostrich plumes have always been moderately expensive as well.
Perhaps it was because large plumes on hats had only just come into fashion and it was not yet generally realized what possible danger they might pose if they were worn on the right side of hats?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Testament of Youth - the recent film starring newly minted Oscar winner Alicia Vikander, based on a famous World War I memoir. She plays an ambitious young Englishwoman who manages to get into Oxford, but leaves to serve as a field hospital nurse in France. Her brother, fiancé, and their closest school friends are all eventually killed in the war, which devastates her. Very sad, but quite well done.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
John Dillinger loved every thing about it, except the ending.

Gable''s walk to his execution is easily the most memorable part of the film.
That scene from "Manhattan Melodrama" is shown near the end of the outstanding 2008 film "Public Enemies" as Johnny Depp as John Dillinger watches the film in a theatre shortly before his death.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Agreed - a good solid pre-code whose plot is a bit too contrived, but still a fun picture, that has a bit of a modern feel and, as you noted, an outstanding cast before they all became super famous.

They already were quite famous, with Powell, Gable, and Loy having been leading players for a number of years already, Powell and Loy from the later few years of silents, even.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Robocop(2014)
I am not a great Scifi fan at all, but this is not a bad remake of the original which I though was an amazing film, it had to be with me not being a scifi fan :)
This version was aimed at a younger audience so some of the violence was toned down as maybe they were hoping for some marketing potential I guess.
To me the other great 1980s sci fi movies were, the original Terminator and Predator, both with good old Arnie.

green papaya

One Too Many
Master and the Commander: the Far Side of the World,

In 1805, aboard the H.M.S. Surprise, the brash Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his trusted friend, the ship's scholarly surgeon, Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany), are ordered to hunt down and capture a powerful French vessel off the South American coast.

I just watched "Double Indemnity" for the first time in about 20 years. My 20+ year old impression had been "good, solid" noir. My just-having-scene-it impression is fantastic, outstanding, awesome noir movie. While clearly a film noir movie - the "I'm confessing" narrative structure felt a bit forced to me - it didn't try too obviously hard like some movies do to strike a noir tone. But what really blew me away were MacMurray's and Robinson's performances.

MacMurray is frighteningly believable as the successful insurance salesman excited to hatch a murder plan he's been clearly thinking about for years. And while the putative reason for murder is money and his desire to be with Stanwyck's character, subtly it feels like he simply wanted to see if he could get any with it, especially when he knew his office pal, Robinson's character, an insurance claims investigator, would be the person he'd have to fool.

The MacMurray-Robinson dynamic drives the movie more than the felt-forced-to-me MacMurray-Stanwyck love affair supposedly motivating everyone. This is the first movie where I've ever felt that Stanwyck wasn't natural or comfortable in her character as she was wooden and almost awkward as the cool, beautiful, calculating murderess. But that didn't matter as this is MacMurray's and Robinson's movie and the two antagonists play off each other beautifully.

Robinson's smart, a-bit tired, nerdy investigator contrasted wonderfully with MacMurray's outwardly cocky top salesman persona. They like each other, respect each other, but also know all along there is something fundamentally different in each one's core character. MacMurray regularly and smoothly lighting the match for the "where's my match" bumbling Robinson is a neat symbol hinting to us that what will really matter in this game of wits is not surface flash.

The style of the movie is not-over-the-top noir, but has just enough literal and figurative shadows so that you know what you are watching. And the insurance company office is architecturally beautiful. I've been in many new office buildings in NYC, and not one holds a candle for interior design and elegance to this office.

I can't wait to watch this one again.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Master and the Commander: the Far Side of the World,

In 1805, aboard the H.M.S. Surprise, the brash Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his trusted friend, the ship's scholarly surgeon, Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany), are ordered to hunt down and capture a powerful French vessel off the South American coast.

Master and Commander is a favorite of mine! I haven't watched it in a long while, but I frequently have the soundtrack on in the background.
Over breakfast and morning chores I watched John Wayne's The Alamo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic