Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
image.jpg

Hue and Cry on BBC, I do not recall ever watching it before but really interesting seeing London after the war.

Hue and Cry (1947) is a British film directed by Charles Crichton and starring Alastair Sim, Harry Fowler and Joan Dowling.

It is generally considered to be the first of the "Ealing comedies", although it is better characterised as a thriller for children. Shot almost entirely on location, it is now a notable historic document due to its vivid portrait of a London still showing the damage of World War II. London forms the backdrop of a crime-gangster plot which revolves around a working-class children's street culture and children's secret clubs.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
In honor of the 72nd anniversary of D-Day, I watched The Longest Day. It never gets old.

Favorite part: where the journalists on the beach send two carrier pigeons and the birds fly toward the Germans. "Damn traitors!"

DNO

One Too Many
In honor of the 72nd anniversary of D-Day, I watched The Longest Day. It never gets old.

Favorite part: where the journalists on the beach send two carrier pigeons and the birds fly toward the Germans. "Damn traitors!"

I’ve always enjoyed the scene in which they capture Pegasus Bridge. I find it interesting that Richard Todd, who played Major Howard, was actually present at that action as a member of the British paratroops that reinforced Howard’s glider force at the bridge.
“Up the Oxs and Bucks!”

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Stranger than Fiction. What a cool movie. Stars Emma Thompson and Will Farrell (in a role that is not stupid funny, but actually serious for him). I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially as I'm a writer. :)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
From Here To Eternity (1953)

I’ve seen this film countless times & each time I have a different perspective.
Saw it again last night....

Schofield Barracks rifle outfit life is good duty; just stay off Hotel Street in Honolulu and watch MP/SP patrols along Waikiki Beach, and hang the Windward Side of Oahu at Kaneohe.;)

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure there's a connection to my quote. Not sure exactly what,
(My fault). :)

...a tenuous fragile thread perhaps, but tossed out.;) I read the book and saw the film only after I had left the Army and Hawaii, and assigned From Here To Eternity in a college American lit class.
James Jones' protagonist Pruitt and the book have stayed with me ever since- I was on my first sergeant's list and experienced company cadre discipline, so I had some sympathy with Prew.
However, he seemed to have unknowingly walked in to a right cross when he transferred in, and this has always remained unanswered-but I chalk it up to literary license.
Jones busted sergeant across an assault charge and did time in the stockade before a less than honorable discharge; yet on the whole his novel is fairly objective, and the book itself
was based on an actual character and the subsequent punishment he received for declining to box for the company squad. Still, the five-year soldier/boxer voluntarily transfers back to
straight duty with a rifle outfit, not realizing what he is about to face? Prew and the entire company are caught in fate's web; though Maggio gains an ostensible pyrrhic victory
when he is discharged a stockade section 8(killed in the film). Prew's death could have been avoided had he rejoined his company on the beach in daylight. Again, artistic license,
Jones understood that not to kill off his protagonist would emasculate his first novel. I have had different perspectives on From Here To Eternity too, but it always returns to the transfer.:)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
...a tenuous fragile thread perhaps, but tossed out.;) I read the book and saw the film only after I had left the Army and Hawaii, and assigned From Here To Eternity in a college American lit class.

Wow, you certainly have done your research.
Makes me want to read the book.

Sincere thanks for sharing your very interesting points.

Philistine....... Actually I'm surprised ANYONE like that tired re-tread of a movie. Certainly won't get another dime of my money.

Worf
I was very surprised that I liked it at all let alone as much as I did. None of the promos for the movie sold it in any way for me. I did not enjoy films 4 and 5 (or is it films 1 and 2?) and as a result, I did not see the 6th/1st. Maybe my expectations were low, but no matter, I enjoyed it, a lot.
:D

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I was very surprised that I liked it at all let alone as much as I did. None of the promos for the movie sold it in any way for me. I did not enjoy films 4 and 5 (or is it films 1 and 2?) and as a result, I did not see the 6th/1st. Maybe my expectations were low, but no matter, I enjoyed it, a lot.
:D

Well, I for one am glad you had a good time even if I didn't. That's what I like about this forum, folks can like what they like without gettin' beaten down for it.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Fallen Sparrow" - John Garfield (aka Jacob Julius Garfinkle) gives another stunning performance as "Kit McKitrick" Spanish Civil war veteran who's hunted because he came back with Nazi Battle Standard captured during the war. Tortured and suffering what we'd call PTSD today, he tangles with femme fatales and Nazi spies determined to get a piece of cloth back. Well acted.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Stray Dog, an early (1949) Akira Kurosawa film about a newbie detective (Tishiro Mifune) whose pistol is lifted by a pickpocket on a jammed bus. Thereafter, he tracks the pistol through the Tokyo underworld, increasingly appalled as people are injured/killed with it. Like many of Kurosawa's films, it's a little slow-moving and a bit long, but I was struck by how similar it is to today's police procedurals and buddy cop films (he's soon paired with a veteran detective who takes things a lot more easily). Lots of interesting footage of postwar Japan too.

Thank you again, TCM!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"The Fallen Sparrow" - John Garfield (aka Jacob Julius Garfinkle) gives another stunning performance as "Kit McKitrick" Spanish Civil war veteran who's hunted because he came back with Nazi Battle Standard captured during the war. Tortured and suffering what we'd call PTSD today, he tangles with femme fatales and Nazi spies determined to get a piece of cloth back. Well acted.

Worf

This sounds fascinating. I'm going to try and see if Netflix or Amazon has it so I can watch it today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner