Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A new documentary on HBO about the famous Hitchcock/Truffaut book from 1966.

I have owned a well-worn copy for, I don't know, 35 or 40 years. It's an essential, classic film book: the two directors sat down together (along with a French/English translator) for a week in the early sixties and discussed the nuts and bolts of Hitch's technique, going chronologically through his catalog. It completely changed the perception among film fans/critics/scholars of Hitchcock from just a popular director of suspense films to an auteur who bravely followed his darkest ideas and obsessions, with unique technique going back to his start in the silent era, to create dreamlike, personal masterworks... that were also commercial successes. It was, and remains, one of the great film books, and as is pointed out by several talking heads in the film, stands as significant a project of Truffaut's as any of his own films.

What the documentary adds - besides details about how the book was done, with photos, audio recordings, and filmed footage from the original conversations - are two things: Great commentary from directors who were influenced by the book, including Marty Scorsese, David Fincher, Wes Anderson, etc. And detailed focus on some of the amazing sequences in Hitch's films (actually shown here vs. the hundreds of frame blow-ups in the book), notably Psycho and Vertigo. (Vertigo is now widely considered one of his - and film history's - greatest films, but it was misunderstood and failed initially; this book is where its reconsideration and ascent began.)

Highly recommended for Hitchcock fans and film buffs.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A Beautiful Mind. It was a wild film, and seriously boggled my mind a few times where I myself had to question what was real and what wasn't.

I especially enjoyed A Beautiful Mind. Crowe was able to portray a hero of another cast-but I cannot recall now if the protagonist taught at the University of Chicago.

"The White Cliffs of Dover," for, maybe, the third time in thirty years. A bit slower than I remember, but that might have been my mood. A solid "propaganda" film shamelessly intent on strengthening the America - English bond during WWII.

Also, a lot of fine actors including Irene Dunn, Van Johnson, C. Aubrey Smith (if England was an older man, it would look like C. Aubrey Smith), Dame May Whitty, Gladys Cooper (the Judi Dench and Meryl Streep of their day), Roddey Mcdowall and Frank Morgan (an under-rated actor because he's overly known for playing the Wizard of Oz).

Victor Frankenstein, Concussion, and Jason Bourne
Although I enjoyed Jason Bourne enough, it was for me, by far the weakest story of the series. I hope that they continue to make more, but really hope that they come up with something better.
:D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The last film we saw at the cottage a couple of weeks back was the Hateful Eight (or however it's spelled in "cool" - H8tful, etc.). Really enjoyed it, classic Tarantino, and a great cast. Nearly three hours long but it flew by.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
It was better than I thought it would be. Good acting throughout and some interesting twists on the story. It isn't the same story we have seen over the years. It isn't so far off the rails that it isn't recognizable. I would say give it a shot.

Will do, I like the actors in it, but had heard it was rubbish! Never listen to the critics!

Will do, I like the actors in it, but had heard it was rubbish! Never listen to the critics!
Too often, movies that I have found entertaining, have been panned by the critics. Maybe I have poor taste in what is considered entertainment, but I am okay with that. It has its flaws, but there worse movies that have somehow received higher praise. Avatar comes to mind. Could not stand it, but it has made an insane amount of money.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Too often, movies that I have found entertaining, have been panned by the critics. Maybe I have poor taste in what is considered entertainment, but I am okay with that. It has its flaws, but there worse movies that have somehow received higher praise. Avatar comes to mind. Could not stand it, but it has made an insane amount of money.

I'm the same. I remember watching Roger Ebert eviscerate Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, but I loved it. I can't stand Avatar, either.

One movie that I did agree with the critics on was Batman vs. Superman.

I'm the same. I remember watching Roger Ebert eviscerate Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, but I loved it. I can't stand Avatar, either.

One movie that I did agree with the critics on was Batman vs. Superman.
I thought that the last Superman was entertaining as well despite its negative reviews. I will not watch Top Gun even though it is considered, I guess because I have been told so, a must watch.

For the most part, it seems the people who are most critical of Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman are those who read the Superman comic books when they were growing up, and hold the "Donner era" movies (the ones with Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman) in high regard. I never cared much for Superman (the character, that is) and, except for Christopher Reeve's performances and John Williams' score, thought the Donner era movies were awful, so I rather liked Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman.

As for Top Gun, I saw it once just to see what all the fuss was about, and that was more than enough.

...As for Top Gun, I saw it once just to see what all the fuss was about, and that was more than enough.

I feel the same way, but I think, in my case, part of my feeling indifferent is because I missed it in the theater and saw it on TV, back when a movie like that didn't show up on TV until a few years later and, of course, the TV viewing experience wasn't what it is today - high-quality large screen with great sound and (for many movies) no commercials. To me the movie felt cheesy, but apparently, the action sequences in the movie theater - and for the time - were impressive. To some subset of our population, who was of a certain age and saw that movie in the theater - it's just an awesome movie.

My other complaint with the movie is Kelly McGillis. Every once in awhile, Hollywood convinces itself - and then tries to convince the public - that some actor is a leading man or women when they really aren't. Kelly McGillis made it through a few movies before the feedback of "enough" got to the Hollywood decisions makers and they stopped allowing her to be a lead in big-budget movies. Shelly Long and Val Kilmer are other examples of this Hollywood nonsense.

My other complaint with the movie is Kelly McGillis. Every once in awhile, Hollywood convinces itself - and then tries to convince the public - that some actor is a leading man or women when they really aren't. Kelly McGillis made it through a few movies before the feedback of "enough" got to the Hollywood decisions makers and they stopped allowing her to be a lead in big-budget movies. Shelly Long and Val Kilmer are other examples of this Hollywood nonsense.
As well as Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore. Annoying and lacking acting ability.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Cabin in the Sky (1943). Wonderful film. There's just one thing I don't understand about the implicit moral code. Little Joe is damned because he's spending his time at Jim Henry's Paradise club. Does that mean that everybody at Jim Henry's Paradise is going to Hell? Are the Lindy Hoppers going to Hell?

Is Duke Ellington going to Hell?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland