Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

^^^ Two really fine moments are when Ashley takes the blame for the broken bird figure, knowing it wouldn't be pleasant but she wanted Madeleine to get off on the right side with Peg (or, at least, a less bad side as I don't believe Peg has a good side) - that was one selfless act. And, then, Madeleine returns the favor when she lets Ashley paint her nails because she knows how much it means to Ashley to try and form a connection, this despite that Madeleine's nails were "French tipped" which cost a lot to have done - but she selflessly acted as if she was excited to have Ashley paint over her professionally done manicure. Two very small, but very kind acts that felt more real to me than 99% of what happens in most movies and 99.9% more real than most gun fights, etc.

One of Fellow's theme's in "Downton Abbey," IMHO, was that all of them who live "upstairs" in the big house would be better off with careers, which is why everyone embraced it when it happened - Sybil when she became a nurse, Edith when she became, first, a farm worker and, later, an editor and Mary when she, effectively, became Downton's manager. Also, the mother embraced working during the war. And Mathew fought like heck not to give up his law career and even the Earl himself wanted a real role in the military and not the ceremonial one they gave him.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We took our daughters to their first ever drive in last night! A double feature:

We saw The Secret Life of Pets and, with the girls exhausted and sleeping in the back, Jason Bourne. We'd never seen a Bourne flick, it was entertaining, may or may not catch up with the others.

"You know, I always thought Damon was a bit of a Streisand, but he's really kicking it in this...".

Pics to follow!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
He seems to getting more of his due today, but I still bet many people who know the names McQueen, Bogart, Newman, etc., don't know Steiger, but for my money, he's one of the best actors we've ever had and stars in or has a meaningful supporting role in so many fantastic movies it's crazy that everyone doesn't know his name.
My younger brother classed Steiger with William Shatner as an over-actor. I told him he didn't know what he was talking about.

My younger brother classed Steiger with William Shatner as an over-actor. I told him he didn't know what he was talking about.

The young Shatner that pops up in "Alfred Hitchcock Present," "The Twilight Zone," "Judgement at Nuremberg," etc., showed promise but only average skill at that point; then Shatner became Kirk and he's played him ever since (even when he's not playing him).

Steiger does not, IMHO, over act at all. He does bring an intensity, which is different from over acting, but he can play it with touch as in many scenes in "The Pawnbroker" and "Dr. Zhivago." Also, he fully assumes a role which is a style of acting that, IMHO, is so impressive it should be required viewing for young actors.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
We took our daughters to their first ever drive in last night! A double feature:

We saw The Secret Life of Pets and, with the girls exhausted and sleeping in the back, Jason Bourne. We'd never seen a Bourne flick, it was entertaining, may or may not catch up with the others.

"You know, I always thought Damon was a bit of a Streisand, but he's really kicking it in this...".

Pics to follow!

You really should, at least, see the first of the Bourne movies. IMO, it's the best. Like most franchises I'm usually left wondering why make sequels? Aside from the obvious answer (insert cash register noise here). Caught the latest last Saturday & wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with the last ventures. Wasn't as much of "Streisand kicking it" LOL! But isn't Damon a little older now? ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^ Two really fine moments are when Ashley takes the blame for the broken bird figure, knowing it wouldn't be pleasant but she wanted Madeleine to get off on the right side with Peg (or, at least, a less bad side as I don't believe Peg has a good side) - that was one selfless act. And, then, Madeleine returns the favor when she lets Ashley paint her nails because she knows how much it means to Ashley to try and form a connection, this despite that Madeleine's nails were "French tipped" which cost a lot to have done - but she selflessly acted as if she was excited to have Ashley paint over her professionally done manicure. Two very small, but very kind acts that felt more real to me than 99% of what happens in most movies and 99.9% more real than most gun fights, etc.

One of Fellow's theme's in "Downton Abbey," IMHO, was that all of them who live "upstairs" in the big house would be better off with careers, which is why everyone embraced it when it happened - Sybil when she became a nurse, Edith when she became, first, a farm worker and, later, an editor and Mary when she, effectively, became Downton's manager. Also, the mother embraced working during the war. And Mathew fought like heck not to give up his law career and even the Earl himself wanted a real role in the military and not the ceremonial one they gave him.

Great observations.... My fave scene was Madeline's hubby, singing like an Angel from on high at the Church Social. I lived through that, it brought me to tears... And there's Madeline wondering "who in God's good name DID I marry". I went South in the summer's to my "Mother's People" I felt first hand what it's like to be a "stranger in a strange land". Sometimes I disdained rural living being from "up North", but when I went to Church.... when I rested my feet "on the rock" as it were... my whole perspective changed... I saw a new world, old and steeped in tradition that touched me in places I never knew I had.

Worf

Pics to follow!
The others are entertaining as well, not that I have seen the latest, yet. The first one is the best. Having read a lot of Ludlum's stories when I was younger, I didn't expect that Damon would be able to play Bourne to my liking, but he really did. He is definitely no Streisand.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Watched the beginning of Yours, Mine and Ours, (1968) Lucy should have made it earlier when she first bought the rights to the book! By the late 60s, it was way to hokey.

Great observations.... My fave scene was Madeline's hubby, singing like an Angel from on high at the Church Social. I lived through that, it brought me to tears... And there's Madeline wondering "who in God's good name DID I marry". I went South in the summer's to my "Mother's People" I felt first hand what it's like to be a "stranger in a strange land". Sometimes I disdained rural living being from "up North", but when I went to Church.... when I rested my feet "on the rock" as it were... my whole perspective changed... I saw a new world, old and steeped in tradition that touched me in places I never knew I had.

Worf

That was a fantastic scene, very moving. And, I agree, his wife looked like she was thinking exactly what you said, especially as her husband was completely absorbed in the religion and, my guess, she and he, back in Chicago, are basically secular, liberal, urban professionals who have a mild sense of superiority to "religious" people (as I live around and work with many of those type). Great movie, in a year or so, I'll need to see it again and will pick up a bunch more from it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I also watched The Dark Corner. Not quite a top-class noir, but what a pleasure to see Lucy in a (mostly) dramatic role! Plenty of swoon-worthy hats and clothes too, all in gorgeous b/w.

Yeah, not on the same level as say, Laura or The Maltese Falcon, but enjoyable all the same.

High Society. Always fun to see Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Grace Kelly on the same screen.

I watched a bit of it (wanted to see it all, but I've seen it a few times before and had some other things that had to get done). What's amazing is they remade a classic only sixteen years later and it works. Not as good a movie as the original - not a classic - but more of a fun vehicle for a bunch of enjoyable entertainers - Sinatra, Crosby and Armstrong - along with Grace Kelly to look at and some excellent character actors. Also, a nice time capsule of both '50s and early rat-pat style.

Watched a newer movie, "The Fundamentals of Caring". Predictable, a bit formulaic but still a good heartwarming movie. In spite of my cynical nature I really liked it. Selena Gomez was actually very entertaining and in a limited role did very well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner