Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean.

In the summer of ’78 I worked for Jack Warner in Beverly Hills.
I met two of his daughters.
This is one of them (step-daughter)
The actress is Joy Page.
When I met her that summer, I had the feeling that I had seen her before
but couldn’t quite figure out where or when.
She was very soft-spoken with melancholy eyes.

Joy Page was quite striking in Casablanca and her brief cameo a pivotal scene in establishing Rick's character.
Aljean Harmetz's The Making of Casablanca-written several decades ago made mention of Ms Page but I cannot recall that Harmetz interviewed her.

...was Jack Warner as much a ba***rd as reputed? (just kidding);)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re Wonder Woman...

While Wonder Woman's appearance was one of the few not-entirely-awful things in BvSDoJ, I personally have little hope in her own film being great. Or for that matter, Justice League, which will be coming out first... or any of these DC films. I think Warners/DC has made such an awful mess with their films thus far that they are unlikely to be able to entirely course-correct. They have committed to that uber-serious, dark approach, and just adding a few jokes isn't going to improve things sufficiently.

Ironically, I like their (separate universe) TV series a lot more. Supergirl has found a way to include the essential joy and optimism that Zack Snyder's conception of Superman desperately needs. I'm curious to see how Supergirl's own about-to-be-introduced Superman (Tyler Hoechlin - who a dozen years ago played Tom Hanks' son in Road to Perdition!) stacks up against Henry Cavill. (For the record, I think Cavill is very good in the role, it's the epically misguided writing/direction that's torpedoed the character.)

Supergirl+Superman.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Re Wonder Woman...

While Wonder Woman's appearance was one of the few not-entirely-awful things in BvSDoJ, I personally have little hope in her own film being great. Or for that matter, Justice League, which will be coming out first... or any of these DC films. I think Warners/DC has made such an awful mess with their films thus far that they are unlikely to be able to entirely course-correct. They have committed to that uber-serious, dark approach, and just adding a few jokes isn't going to improve things sufficiently.

Ironically, I like their (separate universe) TV series a lot more. Supergirl has found a way to include the essential joy and optimism that Zack Snyder's conception of Superman desperately needs. I'm curious to see how Supergirl's own about-to-be-introduced Superman (Tyler Hoechlin - who a dozen years ago played Tom Hanks' son in Road to Perdition!) stacks up against Henry Cavill. (For the record, I think Cavill is very good in the role, it's the epically misguided writing/direction that's torpedoed the character.)

View attachment 56688

Oh, I recognize Tyler Hoechlin! He was also in MTV's Teen Wolf and played (what else?) a werewolf.

I haven't watched Supergirl, but may on your recommendation. I just am not a big fan of DC at all - with the exception of Batman. But that was *before* the latest incarnation with Ben Affleck. I can't see him in the role at all and Batman vs. Superman confirmed what a disaster it was, IMO. Marvel is *so* much better than DC at this point in just about every way.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I never watched Teen Wolf, but yeah, that's the way he's being mentioned. He's also one of the stars of the new Richard Linklater film, Everybody Wants Some!, about college baseball jocks in the seventies.

And yeah, I recommend that you give Supergirl a try. It gets some things wrong, but it really understands how to present the character, and the actress does a wonderful job of incarnating the Christopher Reeve-ish goodness and decency that's missing in Cavill's angsty, uber-serious take.

I actually thought Batfleck was okay... but he's not playing a version of Batman that interests me.

Re Wonder Woman...

View attachment 56688

Maybe I should have stayed with it longer, but I watched two episodes of "Supergirl" and couldn't take it. The only thing good was Supergirl herself - she struck a perfect balance in those episodes of seriousness, wonder and whimsy at being Supergirl. All the rest seemed forced, CGI, goofy and random sci-fi stuff - I didn't buy any of it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to oversell it. It IS goofy and random sci-fi stuff, with not very believable TV-budget CGI. But it has a very sure handle on the character, and Melissa Benoist (who I'd ironically hated when she was one of the younger students in the late seasons of Glee) is outstanding in the role. She makes you believe a girl can fly.

I don't want to oversell it. It IS goofy and random sci-fi stuff, with not very believable TV-budget CGI. But it has a very sure handle on the character, and Melissa Benoist (who I'd ironically hated when she was one of the younger students in the late seasons of Glee) is outstanding in the role. She makes you believe a girl can fly.

Assuming it wasn't just a random perfect fit of actor and character, I would bet her acting career could branch out and become really interesting.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Marvel's Civil War. & I don't have the excuse of kids, just plain like the movies. lol

Tried to watch Supergirl once and just couldn't get into it. If I'm bored 10 minutes in it's a sure bet I won't watch it again. Been a Batfan ever since I was a kid but I couldn't bring myself to go see Batflek (Ha!). Ugh!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Navigator (1924) Buster Keaton TCM.

Always enjoy the locations Keaton used in his silent films.
Mostly around Los Angeles.

This is a favorite shot.
2ywafl2.jpg

I found that Keaton took the film crew to San Francisco for just this one scene.

Today:
2uoid7o.png

I wonder if Buster would’ve used that location if he saw it today.

b68zex.png

Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Sgt. York" - My second fave Hawks drama behind "Red River". Every bit a classic.

"You sure got some shooter's agin ya!"

"Ya better draw down Alvin."

"This gun teches off mighty easy."

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Today We Live. (1933) Not the best movie, but, as one might expect from a Howard Hawks production, the flying scenes were stupendous! Loved the formation take off of the Martin biplane bombers! I know, they were not used in WWI, still impressive.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Jack Taylor: The Guards. The first of six (two more in production) tv movies starring Iain Glenn, one of our favourites (Ser Jorah Mormont, GoT).

Really good, set in Galway, Ireland, a recent Netflix find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy