Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Really enjoyed it as a kid. The mini-series on HBO coming in October (I believe) looks promising. :D
I just can't see how this could be based on the original Westworld. Who will charge up the robots once the virus takes hold. Other robots? Then will they break out of the theme park and start taking over the world? Well Los Angeles or Arizona at least.
I do hope they leave the CGI at home. If this is aimed at kids no doubt characters will get shot but you won't see the bullets enter or exit bodies which would be a shame.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Westworld starts on HBO THIS Sunday. And it is NOT remotely aimed at kids, advance reviews say it has the level of (gratuitous) sex and violence HBO is known for. They are hoping for another Game of Thrones.

Also, the story largely seems to be about the robots becoming aware of their "real" selves, not the running amuck of the original film (which in retrospect seems like Michael Chrichton was just warming up for Jurassic Park, with its similar high-tech-amusement-park-goes-off-the-rails plot).

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
From what I've seen of the teaser trailer it resembles more 'Blade Runner' & other recent movies involving robots becoming more human than humans. A lot of 'stars' iin the show but when I saw Ed Harris dressed like his character in 'Appaloosa' it was hard to take it seriously.

More cheese...The Spy Who Loved Me. I had forgotten how bad the music of 1977 could be. How I forgot, I do not know.
:D
Yet, still I watch. It is Bond after all.

But possibly (and I realize this isn't saying that much) the best Moore Bond - thoughts? And just looking at Barbara Bach can loosen your back molars.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Spy Who Loved Me is the most entertaining of Moore's Bond films, and Bach's stronger-than-usual female lead is part of the reason. But For Your Eyes Only gets points for deliberately scaling down and trying to do a smaller film in the tradition of From Russia With Love instead of the usual bloated blockbuster Bond.

But I'll always prefer the early Connery films!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We saw another tv movie Jack Taylor: The Dramatist. A really good one. We tried to see an IT Crown, but Netflix (Canada) has inexplicably removed the first four seasons. Only the "season five" one episode is available. Not all it's cracked up to be, is Netflix...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Deadpool. While some of its fourth-wall-breaking and superhero-cliche-kidding joking was amusing, I didn't like it.

Princess Kaiulani. Interesting historical drama about Hawaii's loss of nationhood and annexation as a US territory.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The Shallows. This one was good. Great effects, great tension, and beautifully shot. I would definitely recommend to anyone who doesn't mind a little blood.

I pretty much don't watch the Moore ones anymore, but will watch that one if it's on.
It has been many years since I have watched a Moore Bond, but they have been on all weekend so I have them playing in the background. Moonraker is on right now. My memory of it comes mostly from MAD magazine's Moneyraker. It is bad. And is like watching Dad, in the seventies, fighting Evil and saving the world. But unfortunately, Cheese prevails.

It has been many years since I have watched a Moore Bond, but they have been on all weekend so I have them playing in the background. Moonraker is on right now. My memory of it comes mostly from MAD magazine's Moneyraker. It is bad. And is like watching Dad, in the seventies, fighting Evil and saving the world. But unfortunately, Cheese prevails.

My only memory of "Moonraker" is some crazy in space fight scene. I think Moonraker" was too close to the real space program; hence, the fake science and technology of "Moonraker" was too obvious to those of us who had followed space program. Plus, he looked too old, the story was (as you said) cheesy and, my God, what happened to the world in the '70s?

The only Moore-era Bond movies I can watch these days are Live and Let Die and The Man With the Golden Gun, and the second mostly for Christopher Lee. I never found Moore believable in the scenes in which Bond had to be the "tough guy" because...well, let me put it this way--if I think I can take him in a fight, he's no James Bond. That being said, in all fairness to Mr. Moore I had the same problem with Pierce Brosnan. :D

My only memory of "Moonraker" is some crazy in space fight scene. I think Moonraker" was too close to the real space program; hence, the fake science and technology of "Moonraker" was too obvious to those of us who had followed space program. Plus, he looked too old, the story was (as you said) cheesy and, my God, what happened to the world in the '70s?
The world took a dump in the late sixties which putrified in to the seventies and there you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy