Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of the '38 version too (also the '51 version with Alastair Sim). The '99 version with Patrick Stewart isn't a bad one, but not in the class of the other two.

The '38 version is on TCM 12/18 at 9am (EST).

After reading AmateisGal's post and replying.

I went to TCM monthly schedule
for December in search for upcoming favorites.
Especially for my babydoll,
Myrna Loy.
The closest I ever got to her is
when I overheard some women
remark, " Oh look, there goes Myrna Loy!"
When I was walking Rodeo Dr.
in Beverly Hills years ago.
All I saw was her car pass by.

There are several good ones coming up.
My favorite, "Libeled Lady",
"Thin Man" & the
one you mentioned.

Thanks for the tip anyhow.

Last edited:
Kudos to Dickens - even though he was writing before movies / TV, his story is so incredible that it translates wonderfully to those mediums. In fact, it translates so well, that all of us are debating amongst the many very good versions out there as to which is our favorite. Quite a nice legacy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Like it, but always felt this one falls a bit short of even the second-tier Christmas ones like "Remember the Night" or "Holiday Inn."

P.S. "Remember the Night" is on TCM on Dec 22, just waiting for my stupid cable company's DVR to "see" out that far and I'll have the recorder set. This one has grown on me over the years.

I have Remember the Night on DVD. :D Also just got Miracle on 34th Street (with Maureen O'Hara) in the mail today. :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The documentary, Hitler's Children. I've watched it once before, but my daughter wanted to see it, so we watched it together. It's hard to watch it some spots, especially when the grandson of Rudolph Hoess (the commandant of Auschwitz), goes to Auschwitz for the first time and meets a group of Jewish kids plus an Auschwitz survivor. How he comes to terms with what his grandfather did is gutwrenching. I know that now he (his name is Rainer Hoess) is an advocate for speaking out against his grandfather and is trying to do what he can to make amends for his family's legacy.

I cannot imagine the guilt some of these people have lived with. Other children of top Nazis, though, are still in denial and refuse to admit to their fathers' sins.

http://www.hitlerschildren.com/

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Currently watching It Happened on Fifth Avenue. I have a nice collection of classic Christmas movies and I love watching them every year!
My wife discovered this a couple of years ago and has introduced it into our regular Christmas movies line up. (It's more a movie set at Christmas than a Christmas movie, but it's still fun)

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The other night it was Elf, to officially kick off the Christmas movie season. For the first time it was the whole tribe watching~ daughter and son-in-law, son and daughter-in-law, great-grandpa, grandkids, and us. Normally someone calling out the punchlines to the dialogue in the movie you're watching is annoying, but the entire room was doing it, and singing along from time to time

The documentary, Hitler's Children. I've watched it once before, but my daughter wanted to see it, so we watched it together. It's hard to watch it some spots, especially when the grandson of Rudolph Hoess (the commandant of Auschwitz), goes to Auschwitz for the first time and meets a group of Jewish kids plus an Auschwitz survivor. How he comes to terms with what his grandfather did is gutwrenching. I know that now he (his name is Rainer Hoess) is an advocate for speaking out against his grandfather and is trying to do what he can to make amends for his family's legacy.

I cannot imagine the guilt some of these people have lived with. Other children of top Nazis, though, are still in denial and refuse to admit to their fathers' sins.

Theoretically, you should not be responsible for something your grandfather did, but I hear ya, my guess is I'd feel guilty or at least greatly ashamed if my grandfather had been the commandant of Auschwitz.

I think you would really enjoy "Labyrinth of Lies" as its theme is the issue of how late-'50s Germany struggled to come to grips with its Nazi past. I wrote a small review of it here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1118#post-2169929

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Darren Aronofsky's Noah.

I kinda liked it, though some of the melodramatic aspects introduced to fill out the slight Biblical tale were annoyingly overdone. It's certainly a well-intentioned, serious take on the story that avoids the Sunday school storybook approach and strives to show the humanity within the mythic. Though taking place in the primordial-history past of Genesis, it seemingly occurs outside normal time in a mythic space that's in some ways oddly similar to the present. Some gasp-inducing effects work too. The performances are a bit of a mixed bag, though.

Not entirely successful, but it's way more thoughtful and uniquely, specifically imagined than the typical "Biblical epic".

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Theoretically, you should not be responsible for something your grandfather did, but I hear ya, my guess is I'd feel guilty or at least greatly ashamed if my grandfather had been the commandant of Auschwitz.

I think you would really enjoy "Labyrinth of Lies" as its theme is the issue of how late-'50s Germany struggled to come to grips with its Nazi past. I wrote a small review of it here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1118#post-2169929

In the film, Rainer Hoess goes to Auschwitz and while there, an Auschwitz survivor goes up to him and says, "It was not your fault. You have nothing to feel guilty for." A powerful moment, but for Rainer, it lifted a lot of the burden from him to hear it from a Holocaust survivor.

I'll check out Labyrinth of Lies. Thanks!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Darren Aronofsky's Noah.

I kinda liked it, though some of the melodramatic aspects introduced to fill out the slight Biblical tale were annoyingly overdone. It's certainly a well-intentioned, serious take on the story that avoids the Sunday school storybook approach and strives to show the humanity within the mythic. Though taking place in the primordial-history past of Genesis, it seemingly occurs outside normal time in a mythic space that's in some ways oddly similar to the present. Some gasp-inducing effects work too. The performances are a bit of a mixed bag, though.

Not entirely successful, but it's way more thoughtful and uniquely, specifically imagined than the typical "Biblical epic".

After Maximus does Robin hood, Maximus does Noah.........fortunately there were some fight scenes where he could show off his gladiatorial skills.:D I found the whole thing very 'Lord of the Rings-ish' but two things stood out for me, firstly, the Icelandic scenery & secondly, there was a scene where Noah & his family were carrying some very cool modern day designed backpacks made from wood.....

Harp

I'll Lock Up

I'm a big fan of the '38 version too (also the '51 version with Alastair Sim). The '99 version with Patrick Stewart isn't a bad one, but not in the class of the other two.

The '38 version is on TCM 12/18 at 9am (EST).

I much prefer the Alastair Sim version to the 1938 film. The more recent one I really like (much more than Patrick Stewart's) is the George C. Scott TV version from around 1984.

Many moons ago I spent some time in northern Greece and lived near a village that had been occupied by the Nazis and the stories told were horrible.
Out in the countryside, released German Army Alsatians had bred with indigenous canine and their rampant progeny were wild and had not been destroyed.
Once, while out on a radio exercise I had to M16 six or seven dogs that had charged our position. Or a dead shepard boy would be found, a WWII legacy since
Greeks hold grudges for the past through generations. A bartender might pour a complimentary round to honor the day he killed his first German soldier,
then display the knife used. History learned this way leaves a lasting impression.

I love the George C Scott version; which also featured lovely Susannah York as Mrs Cratchet, a youthful crush never lost.;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The cast of the Scott version is awesome from top to bottom. Roger Rees, Edward Woodward, Frank Finlay... and I particularly enjoy David Warner as Bob Cratchet, since he so rarely plays good guys.

And Scott is so darn good that you don't even notice he's the only one without a British accent!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The cast of the Scott version is awesome from top to bottom. Roger Rees, Edward Woodward, Frank Finlay... and I particularly enjoy David Warner as Bob Cratchet, since he so rarely plays good guys.

And Scott is so darn good that you don't even notice he's the only one without a British accent!

I recall the office scene with Cratchet when he lectures about coal, pointing to his coat and vest-Scott did a stab at the accent there,
"Coal is costly, coal is momentary..." and I thought it wasn't bad, but the accent lapsed back to Yank and seemingly disappeared.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yup. As Scrooge, Scott speaks more precisely and formally than he did in contemporary roles, but he only rarely tries for the accent. And it's the right choice: an obviously fake accent would have weakened the performance.

In Noah, I found Jennifer Connelly (Mrs. Noah) bouncing distractingly between her normal voice and a vaguely Brit accent - I guess to sound like she belonged in the same world with Emma Watson, Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winstone, and (Aussie) Russell Crowe. Not one of her better performances. (True of the entire cast, you'll notice I didn't praise the acting.)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched (for the umpteenth time) Christmas in Connecticut (the original one!). Now I'm watching my newest DVD acquisition, Air Force, with John Garfield and Harry Carey.

"Rebound"
- 1931 pre-code / a lot of talking / awkward directing / feels "stagey"
- Too many people are in love with people they aren't married to or can't marry for some reason or another
- Plot kinda falls apart, but still fun watching rich people make themselves unhappy with stupid relationship decisions
- Ina Claire (I hadn't heard of her either) does a really good job / as does Hedda Hopper acting without cynicism
- Many champagne cocktails are consumed
- Being pre-code, women drink, want sex, have it out of marriage, don't know undergarments were invented, but still ultimately want stable relationships
- Worth watching only if you are in the mood for a clunky but kinda good pre-code

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy