Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
After Maximus does Robin hood, Maximus does Noah.........fortunately there were some fight scenes where he could show off his gladiatorial skills.:D I found the whole thing very 'Lord of the Rings-ish' but two things stood out for me, firstly, the Icelandic scenery & secondly, there was a scene where Noah & his family were carrying some very cool modern day designed backpacks made from wood.....

Hubby and I tried to watch this shortly after it came out on DVD. Didn't make it through the first 15 minutes before we shut it off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Well, if you're a good boy, Santa might bring you one. ;)

Dear Santa,
t4zsk7.jpg

It's the longtime "wishbone C" of the Indians.
Size 22"
Thanks.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
After Maximus does Robin hood, Maximus does Noah.........fortunately there were some fight scenes where he could show off his gladiatorial skills.:D I found the whole thing very 'Lord of the Rings-ish' but two things stood out for me, firstly, the Icelandic scenery & secondly, there was a scene where Noah & his family were carrying some very cool modern day designed backpacks made from wood.....

Not to mention ole Noah's Pack boots and toggle coat! Sheeya!

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If I'm not mistaken he also wore a similar more beat up version of the same cap while playing Robbie, Air Corps Crew Chief of the Maryanne in Howard Hawk's "Air Force".

Worf

Thanks Worf, that's the cap & movie.
I just couldn't find an image of him wearing it.
So I added a newer one.

Last edited:

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Most of It Happened on 5th Avenue, mentioned above; will finish probably tonight. Two minor coincidences: Gale Storm, who went on to star in her tv show Oh, Susannah!, is shown in a Times Square music store and behind her is sheet music for Oh, Susannah!. Another character in the story is named Margie, which was part of the title of Gale Storm's other show, My Little Margie. ...which probably means I get way too involved in the minutia of filmed entertainment and forget to enjoy the story.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"King Kong - The 8th Wonder of the World"

'He was a king and a God in his world, but we'll teach him fear...." Ha, how'd that work out fer ya Denham?

Worf

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"It's a Wonderful Life", a favorite.
Been watching lots of TCM lately.(cold spell)

I did a "George Bailey".
I added some extra "saturation" to see what it would be like to watch it in color.
Luckily only did one scene. :(

"King Kong - The 8th Wonder of the World"

'He was a king and God in his world, but we'll teach him fear...." Ha, how'd that work out fer ya Denham?

Worf

I so wanted to like this movie when it came out, but either because I saw the original as a kid and loved it or because this '05 version really isn't a good movie, it felt forced and flat versus the original to me.

The special effect seemed over the top and distracted from the story which, even as a kid, effected me in the original as I felt Kong's loss, fear, rage, despair in a way that I didn't in this newer version.

Some movies shouldn't be remade because there is nothing you can do to make it better. Fay Wray and Kong struck the right balance of emotion and frustrated lust - it's there, implied, but not gratuitous - neither the '76 or this '05 version handled that incredibly tricky balance as well.

Funny happening.....I had PVR'd "A Winter's Tale" as the blurb described it as being from 1968 and based on a Shakespeare play. Started to watch it and it was decidedly not Shakespeare and then Colin Farrell crossed the screen. Turns out the channel had placed the wrong blurb with the movie. We were watching "Winter's Tale" with Colin and Russell Crowe. Very different movie but my wife loved it.....a really sweet love story. A bit weird and Crowe was over the top but overall a very positive mistake.

Funny happening.....I had PVR'd "A Winter's Tale" as the blurb described it as being from 1968 and based on a Shakespeare play. Started to watch it and it was decidedly not Shakespeare and then Colin Farrell crossed the screen. Turns out the channel had placed the wrong blurb with the movie. We were watching "Winter's Tale" with Colin and Russell Crowe. Very different movie but my wife loved it.....a really sweet love story. A bit weird and Crowe was over the top but overall a very positive mistake.

Your story is probably better than the mixed-up movie's story, but the movie did have charm and whimsy to it.

I like Helprin (the author of the book the movie is based on), but this is not his best effort.

If you or your wife are readers and want to see Helprin at his best, I'd recommend "In Sunlight and in Shadow" and "A Soldier of the Great War."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred