Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" followed by "Reptilicus" - The first is almost a classic the second.... errr.... not so much! Double creature feature thanks to TCM! Reptilicus is practically a travelogue for Copenhagen... They show this beautiful city... then spend the next hour blowing it to hell and back. Gotta love it man!

Worf
What, you didn't watch The Beast of Hollow Mountain after Reptilicus? Tsk tsk. :D

Just caught bits and pieces of "Tarzan and His Mate" on TCM
  • Haven't seen it in awhile - what a fun hot-mess of a movie
  • The animals seem to interact in Hollywood ways, nature be damned
  • Jane is no shrinking violet - she's in there fighting with the boys and showing most of them how it's done
    • I love at the end, when she's out of bullets, that she uses the gun itself as a weapon - swinging it at the lions. Then, for more survival time, she's building a fire to keep the lions back. When she's out of fire wood, it's time to play dead. This women is not going down until she's tried everything she can. So much for Hollywood stereotyping her / women in this role
  • I know I read once or twice that in the infamous swimming scene, a body double was used for Maureen O'Sullivan - is that true?
    • Today the scene feels a bit risqué but in an artsy way - certainly compared to the gratuitous sex we have thrown at us all the time now

Worf

I'll Lock Up
What, you didn't watch The Beast of Hollow Mountain after Reptilicus? Tsk tsk. :D

As one ages... one realizes that its IMPOSSIBLE to see EVERY piece of film out there. Ah picks and chooses what celluloid masterpiece gets what time I might have left. Besides I'd NEVER heard of that old chestnut and didn't want to take the risk... Was it as bad as it sounds?

Worf

PS STOP writing checks with my viewing time that I have to cash!:D

"Edge of Seventeen" form 2016

A high school coming of age moving that was, for the most part, thoughtful, sensitive and intelligently done. Not our typical fair, but we saw the trailer and Woody Harrelson caught our attention as a sardonic teacher. He didn't disappoint as he shined in this supporting role - showing that real actors always bring something more to a role.

Sure, being a teen movie, there were some cliches and cringe-worthy moments, but if it pops up on cable or streaming and you're looking for an hour and half of not-too-challenging entertainment - it's worth the time.

Lone Wolf McQuade
I remember it as being bad, really bad, but it I didn't remember it was this bad.
:D
The hair, the clothing, the dialogue, the acting, the story, the Dirty Harry rip-offs, the
pure stupidity. How did he-who-I-must-not-name have such a long career? Fear of telling
him "no?"

Last edited:
As one ages... one realizes that its IMPOSSIBLE to see EVERY piece of film out there. Ah picks and chooses what celluloid masterpiece gets what time I might have left...
Sad, but true. Time is certainly a luxury these days.

...Besides I'd NEVER heard of that old chestnut and didn't want to take the risk... Was it as bad as it sounds?
I had never heard of it before either. I'll have to let you know how good or bad it is after I find the time to watch it; I still haven't finished Reptilicus. ;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Equilibrium - a 2002 SF future dystopia film with Christian Bale. This was downright terrible, with every aspect of the story borrowed from other, better dystopia stories:

Most of the plot is lifted directly from Fahrenheit 451: In a future where all feeling, being determined to be the root of all crime and war, is illegal and the population is on daily medication to tamp down all emotion (a la Brave New World, The Giver, etc.), a series of "Grammaton (*) Clerics" with impossible, Matrix-y gun skills root out all "sense criminals" hiding paintings, films, books etc. A la Minority Report, Bale is the top Cleric, killing folks and destroying priceless art (the frickin' Mona Lisa, okay!) with no feeling. His partner - Sean Bean, in the Sean Bean-iest role ever - has secretly stopped his injections and developed feelings and a moral repugnance for their work, and Bale has to shoot him 20 minutes into the story. (Sean Bean is always killed!) But soon Bale also stops his meds, develops empathy for a captured criminal (Emily Watson) and a dog, starts noticing rainbows... and shoots a bazillion people attempting to destroy the new order. There are riffs on ideas better used in Gattaca, Logan's Run, Demolition Man, 1984, Blade Runner, and all those young adult dystopian books.

(* The new ruling organization is "The Tetragrammaton", though there's no Hebrew Name of God connection I could see! For additional confusion, they've got a swastika made of letter Ts as their symbol.)

For a future society that's allegedly removed violence, it contains nearly the most machine gun fire I've ever seen in a film! And Bale's performance - pitched somewhere between his Patrick Bateman and his Bruce Wayne - is flat, even considering that he's supposed to be an emotionless stone-cold killer for half the film.

Anyway, I can't recommend it... unless you're in the mood for derivative junk!

Last edited:
"The Great Man" 1956
  • Solid mid '50s flick that leans a bit noir, a bit "Sweet Smell of Success," a bit where a movie is made to feel almost like a documentary
  • Jose Ferrer stared, directed and was a co-writer - his laconic style as the hard-boiled reporter disaffected by the media world's hypocrisy (clearly not a new affliction) worked overall, but occasionally felt wooden
  • The "unmasking" of "the great man" that we never meet and only hear briefly happens slowly and without climax which leaves the movie a bit flat but open to reflection
  • The mid-50s architecture, clothes, cars, offices are all great Fedora Lounge eye candy
  • I bet Lizzie - with her extensive experience in and knowledge of radio news and broadcast history, in general - would enjoy the scenes where they reveal some of the inner workings of how a broadcast news special comes together
  • The informality (but not inappropriateness) of the relationship between Ferrer's character and his secretary refutes the view that all '50s business interaction was stuffy and "Mr." or "Miss," etc. Those two had that easy vibe and casualness that can develop when people work together long enough and like each other

Shield for Murder on TCM's Noir Alley.

Caught the first half hour and was engaged, but had to run out, so I recorded the rest to watch (hopefully) later today. What did you think?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Lone Wolf McQuade
I remember it as being bad, really bad, but it I didn't remember it was this bad.
The hair, the clothing, the dialogue, the acting, the story, the Dirty Harry rip-offs, the
pure stupidity. How did he-who-I-must-not-name have such a long career? Fear of telling
him "no?"

He who must not be named was always a third rate actor, a poor man's action hero who's only true claim to fame was getting his ass kicked by Bruce Lee. To call his acting "wooden" is an insult to wood everywhere.....

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sad, but true. Time is certainly a luxury these days.

I had never heard of it before either. I'll have to let you know how good or bad it is after I find the time to watch it; I still haven't finished Reptilicus. ;)

See!!!! Ah told ya. I respect your opinion so if it's "laugh out loud" funny... let me know I'll catch it some other time.

Worf

He who must not be named was always a third rate actor, a poor man's action hero who's only true claim to fame was getting his ass kicked by Bruce Lee. To call his acting "wooden" is an insult to wood everywhere.....

Worf
Yep! I was rootin' for Bill "Superfoot" Wallace in "Force of One," but sadly, that didn't happen. Now Steven Seagal, I've been hopin' for a nice beat down for him by every and anyone since I first saw that dork knob. Throw Jean Clod Van Dumb in the beat down pile as well.

"The Great Man" 1956
  • Solid mid '50s flick that leans a bit noir, a bit "Sweet Smell of Success," a bit where a movie is made to feel almost like a documentary
  • Jose Ferrer stared, directed and was a co-writer - his laconic style as the hard-boiled reporter disaffected by the media world's hypocrisy (clearly not a new affliction) worked overall, but occasionally felt wooden
  • The "unmasking" of "the great man" that we never meet and only hear briefly happens slowly and without climax which leaves the movie a bit flat but open to reflection
  • The mid-50s architecture, clothes, cars, offices are all great Fedora Lounge eye candy
  • I bet Lizzie - with her extensive experience in and knowledge of radio news and broadcast history, in general - would enjoy the scenes where they reveal some of the inner workings of how a broadcast news special comes together
  • The informality (but not inappropriateness) of the relationship between Ferrer's character and his secretary refutes the view that all '50s business interaction was stuffy and "Mr." or "Miss," etc. Those two had that easy vibe and casualness that can develop when people work together long enough and like each other

Caught the first half hour and was engaged, but had to run out, so I recorded the rest to watch (hopefully) later today. What did you think?
It was entertaining enough, but I was kind of too busy to give it my full attention. I should have recorded it for a later viewing, but oh well, there is (hopefully) always later down the road.

Lone Wolf McQuade
him "no?"
The youngest son of a very good friend met Mr. Norris in Texas in 2014.

Cody_Meets_Chuck_Norris_zpsb9isdzwo.jpg

He said Mr. Norris was very nice and had a good sense of humor, but seemed a little "slow" and that his wife treated him as if she were supervising a child.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Worf
I think that is what his audience wanted, no nuance, just punch every thing in sight! He did make two movies where he actually did act. His last, The Shootist, where he was thoughtful, and some what introspective, of course, he was dying in real life. The second, The Wings Of Eagles, about Frank "Spig" Wead. In the beginning, he is his old self, two fist and two drinks, but then he is forced to grow up and use his brain! A must see movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner