Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I favor both Alistair Sim and George C Scott as Scrooge, cannot make up my mind.
Scott does briefly attempt a British accent, then gives it up. A cast off noticed but his overall performance wins the character.;)

We lean to the Sim's one, but Scott's is a close second. Surprisingly, we also enjoy Patrick Stewart's version.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Jim Carrey version.

I still need to watch a few more Christmas classics - Holiday Inn, It Happened on 5th Avenue, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and Holiday Affair.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
"Logan" - The best "non-superhero movie" about a superhero ever made. Real acting, real drama and a ripping story. No happy endings here. I felt gut shot when it was all over. It truly moved me. It's a "hard R" and not for children. But unlike "Deadpool", the only other R rated superhero movie of note, this one ain't played for laughs.

Worf

Agreed. I was shocked at how gritty and raw it was.

We lean to the Sim's one, but Scott's is a close second. Surprisingly, we also enjoy Patrick Stewart's version.

Stewart's an actor, so with material like this, you know it will be good - and it is, but just a notch below the Sim and Scott ones. Also, the late-'90s low-budget special effects feel cheesy today; whereas, the Sim's ones have a dated charm to them.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I KNOW that! My point is the franchise lost me then and I'm NEVER going BACK!!!!!! I watched 20 minutes of "Rogue One" on Netflix and never even bothered to finish it. I'm done! Worf

haha! Please note folks I'm only stirring up Worf here because I'm a safe 10,000 miles away! ;) On a serious note, I'm interested to know what it was about Rogue One that bugged ya Worf? I really enjoyed that one.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Holiday Affair. I'm not sure why I didn't gel with this film the first time I watched it, but now that I've given it another go, I really like it.

For some reason, I do that with certain films. I don't get the initial "wow, this is great!" feeling upon first viewing, but if I give it another try, I'll often love it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
haha! Please note folks I'm only stirring up Worf here because I'm a safe 10,000 miles away! ;) On a serious note, I'm interested to know what it was about Rogue One that bugged ya Worf? I really enjoyed that one.
Philistine..... :mad:

"Rogue One" just didn't hold my interest.... They introduce I ton of characters I'm not familiar with and promptly start killing them off. I just lost interest. And since I knew it was a "pre-quell" I might have been pre-disposed to lump them with the first 3 prequels. I may give another shot sometime in the future but I doubt it.

Worf

Holiday Affair. I'm not sure why I didn't gel with this film the first time I watched it, but now that I've given it another go, I really like it.

For some reason, I do that with certain films. I don't get the initial "wow, this is great!" feeling upon first viewing, but if I give it another try, I'll often love it.

That has happened to me on several movies, like the one I just mentioned - "The Man Who Came to Dinner -" which I didn't fall in love with until the second or third viewing.

As to "Holiday Affair," it is in my top three Xmas movies and the best "sleeper" one out there. I also love that the scenes that were shot in NYC's Central Park are an incredible time machine as you can still see today all the same areas that Mitchum and Leigh walked around.

And, heck, I'm two-thirds of the way there when a model train is the key plot pivot.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

Sir Seymour Hicks' 1935 interpretation is my favorite, but then having played the part thousands of times since 1901 he had enough practice to get it right.

The William Sterling Battis monologue version, which he recorded on four twelve inch sides for the Victor in 1916 is always played in our home on Christmas Eve. It is a wonderful performance, and is well worth finding.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
A double feature with Barbara Stanwyck on TCM - Christmas in Connecticut and Remember the Night. I live-tweeted through both films with other classic movies lovers on Twitter and it was so much fun! I love to connect with people who love classic films as much as I do!

A double feature with Barbara Stanwyck on TCM - Christmas in Connecticut and Remember the Night. I live-tweeted through both films with other classic movies lovers on Twitter and it was so much fun! I love to connect with people who love classic films as much as I do!

Both fun with "Remember the Night" being underrated as you almost never hear about it, but it is, IMHO - as a movie / story - the better of these two movies.

There's a depth to the characters and an underlying grit to "Remember the Night" that tops "Christmas in Connecticut's" fun seasonal vibe and, overall, silliness.

Last edited:
Last night we had our annual viewing of "The Bishop's Wife." Grant's speech about David and the lamb is an insanely moving scene.

And how much fun is this ⇩.

d3949223965dcf768017e53eb2d6d183.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner