Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
Has anyone seen The Key with Trevor Howard, William Holden, and Sophia Loren?
I recorded it from TCM and am going to give it a viewing. It is directed by Carol Reed.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Edward said:
So I hear. That was the only one of the faux traliers to make it across to the DVD releases, alas. Werewolf Women of the SS lookedl ike it'd be a hoot! Reportedly, Tarantino is currently working on a new WW2-set movie, with some NYC Jewish-Americans on a suicide mission in Nazi Germany, a la The Dirty Dozen.

yah it's called Inglorious Bastards and it looks like brad pitt is going to be the lead...check it out on imdb.com...looks good...

Custom79

One of the Regulars
movies lately...

Pin Up Pixie.

I've seen Pillow Talk a bunch of times bu haven't watched b&w's in a while.

Big fan of westerns. Watched Crossfire Trail last night.

Will watch "the Duke" tonight in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon".

C79

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched "HUD" for the first time the other night. I thought it was very good, Patricia Neal was superb and so was Newman of course.
I kept wondering where I had seen the nephew character before...
It was the annoying little kid from "Shane"! I like him a lot more in this movie.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
The Big Street-I can't believe how much I hated it. It was worth it just to see Agnes Moorehead though.
Merton Of The Movies- I have been rewatching everthing I have with Virginia O'Brien in it. I love this one because it;s the largest role she ever had and when it's over I don't think "I wish that had more Virginia." It's also a pretty good movie though the ending is a little too slapstick for me.

Next on the list of Virginia Movies is Lady Be Good.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
After joining this site, I was inspired to re-watch The Thin Man on Saturday night. Always a joy! Favourite quotes:

"What's that man doing in my drawers?"

"Nonsense, he never came anywhere near my tabloids..."

and the appropriate: "Shed the chapeau!"

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mrs Pettigrew lives for a day.

Set in late 30's London, it's a rollicking TREAT!! :eusa_clap

MRSpettigrew_pace.jpg

mrs-pettigrew.jpg

Edward

Bartender
SamMarlowPI said:
yah it's called Inglorious Bastards and it looks like brad pitt is going to be the lead...check it out on imdb.com...looks good...

That's it. I was totally blanking on the title.... There has been a lot of criticism of it already, with various critics claiming that it is set to portray the average German person of the time as a two-dimensional, Nazi drone. One thing I dislike about many of the old war films is that they do portray anyone fighting on the German side, or any German, in something of that light. That said, I'm happy to reserve judgement on that score until I see the film itself. I am something of a fan of QT, and I find myself intrigued greatly by the idea of him doing such a period piece. A major departure, I should think, given how much latter-day pop-culture is core to his work to date.

Still in the WW2 genre, I'm actually rather looking forward to seeing Valkyrie. I'm very far from being a fan of Tom Cruise, but I do nevertheless enjoy some of the films he has been in. It'll be interesting to see a film which portrays a high ranking Wehrmacht in a heroic light - very much counter to the normal trend.

Feraud

Bartender
All Thorough the Night, starring Bogart and a cast loaded with fine character actors. Includes Conrad Veidt, Peter Lorre, Frank McHugh, Barton MacLane, and a young Jackie Gleason.
Bogey & Co. are a bunch of NYC gamblers who unintentionally stumble upon a Nazi spy plot. These fellas may not make an honest buck but do the right thing when fascism rears its ugly head.
This is one of those light WWII era patriotic films. A bit of jingoistic dialogue at the end but not surprising considering the time.
The auction scene is worth noting.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Mo' Better Blues

Hey Gang,

I finally saw Mo' Better Blues this weekend and had throw a shout out for it here. I really liked the movie as a whole, but the costumes were fantastic. All of the musicians wore retro 1950's hats and suits updated for 1990's fashion. Very very cool.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I just watched Brokeback Mountain and The Machinist.

The Machinist ("El Maquinista") is a startlingly dark psychological mystery starring Christian Bale. He portrays a man that is described in the script as a "walking skeleton," and he actually got down to less than 130 pounds by starving himself prior to filming. The story is one of terror, paranoia, and ultimately salvation, and straddles a line somewhere between Hitchcock and Dostoyevsky.

I didn't want to see Brokeback Mountain when it first came out because of all the hoopla surrounding its release. I'm so happy that I did finally see it. I recorded it off of Bravo so it was slightly edited for content, but still it is such a powerful and emotional story. I started crying about halfway through and barely stopped until the end. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are amazing, the secondary characters are fully realized, the production and especially the music are perfect, and the love story is a heart breaker.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
All Thorough the Night, starring Bogart and a cast loaded with fine character actors. Includes Conrad Veidt, Peter Lorre, Frank McHugh, Barton MacLane, and a young Jackie Gleason.
Bogey & Co. are a bunch of NYC gamblers who unintentionally stumble upon a Nazi spy plot. These fellas may not make an honest buck but do the right thing when fascism rears its ugly head.
This is one of those light WWII era patriotic films. A bit of jingoistic dialogue at the end but not surprising considering the time.
The auction scene is worth noting.

This movie has one of my favorite Bogart lines, when he's explaining to his underworld buddies about the Nazis:

"These guys are strictly no good, from way down deep!"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Redbelt

It was slow at first, but you kept seeing how this man at times let his honor blind him against self preservation. Altho harder than it may have needed to be, he prevailed not in the conventional way, but in the honorable way.

The ending is so powerful. I really liked it.

LD

Feraud

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
This movie has one of my favorite Bogart lines, when he's explaining to his underworld buddies about the Nazis:

"These guys are strictly no good, from way down deep!"
I really like the line Bogey gives about being lost in the woods (referring to Central Park) in NYC! lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tokyo Joe.

With Humphrey Bogart. Personally I really enjoyed it and loved the A2's they wear!!;) But it has taken quite a slating over the years as a very mediocre production. Anyway, watch and judge for yourself but as I say, I really enjoyed it.
tokyo2.jpg

tokyo3.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace