Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
We saw the not-yet-released documentary Pete Seeger: The Power Of Song at my film club yesterday. It was outstanding - fascinating, inspirational, moving. It was much more detailed than previous docs about Seeger I've seen, with great historical footage and very interesting interview material (besides Seeger and his family, it includes musicians such as Dylan, Springsteen, Paxton, Baez, Raitt, etc.) What an incredible life!

This documentary will probably turn up on PBS next year, so keep an eye out for it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
We saw the not-yet-released documentary Pete Seeger: The Power Of Song at my film club yesterday. It was outstanding - fascinating, inspirational, moving. It was much more detailed than previous docs about Seeger I've seen, with great historical footage and very interesting interview material (besides Seeger and his family, it includes musicians such as Dylan, Springsteen, Paxton, Baez, Raitt, etc.) What an incredible life!

This documentary will probably turn up on PBS next year, so keep an eye out for it.

This sounds great, I'll keep an eye out for it--Wasn't that a Time is one of my favorite documentaries.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Actually, this one was directed by the same guy who had done Wasn't That A Time!

That makes the new film sound even better to me! I'll definitely look out for this one.

Edward

Bartender
Kevin Noel Olso said:
In the Halloween spirit, we just watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Still hilarious, and has a George Pal reference! Who can fault that?:)

;) Science Fiction, Double Feature is chock full of references for folks round these parts.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
The Barefoot Contessa with Bogart & Ava Gardner

My first time ever seeing this film and I loved it.
My gosh Ava was beautiful in that film. I had no
idea that Bogart was in the film as well & he was fantastic.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
Over the weekend I saw Bogart and Bacall in Dark Passage and what a very odd film it was too! The script was pretty disjointed and it was definitely not one of the pair's better efforts, however, their chemistry was wonderful. Agnes Moorhead is worth the price of admission too--that fabulous leopard print suit she wears! Her climactic showdown with Bogart!

Also, on a completely superficial note, Lauren Bacall's hair deserves it's own credit in this movie--it's just so beautiful.

I just found the trailer to this movie and I think it's better than the film itself--enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOBwBb-Ito

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I watched The Kid From Spain (1932) last night.

I LOVED the opening musical number! So naughty! Eddie Cantor was wonderful -- and cute, too! And Robert Young as a "Latin Lover" = LOL!!

Overall, I wasn't disappointed. It was funny.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched 'The Grey Zone' (2001), a film about Jewish prisoners working in the Auschwitz cremetorium. It was very disturbing. I'm sure there's a few of you who wouldn't have the stomach to watch the whole thing. One thing I didn't like...production-wise...was the use of American comedy actors playing serious parts (also having American accents).

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
The Dam Busters - watched the DVD on Sunday afternoon.

Inspiring stuff, in spite of the inaccuracies. We were thinking of going to see Brief Encounter at the cinema in town tonight, but its p***ing down here so don't think we'll bother.

Edward

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
Last night I watched 'The Grey Zone' (2001), a film about Jewish prisoners working in the Auschwitz cremetorium. It was very disturbing. I'm sure there's a few of you who wouldn't have the stomach to watch the whole thing. One thing I didn't like...production-wise...was the use of American comedy actors playing serious parts (also having American accents).

I don't know, I've seen a lot of very fine dramatic performances turned in by people primarily known as comedians over the years. The accent thing would be more of an issue. On the other hand, I've been watching Shakespeare for years and never been particularly bothered by Macbeth with all-English accents, or a Prince of Denmark that doesn't sound Danish, and so on.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just caught "Children of Men" and loved it. What an amazing and disturbing piece of cinema. Incredible direction, great acting, and fun allusions to ponder.

I also caught "Little Miss Sunshine," which was a surprise delight. Steve Carell is always great in anything he is in.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I don't know, I've seen a lot of very fine dramatic performances turned in by people primarily known as comedians over the years. The accent thing would be more of an issue. On the other hand, I've been watching Shakespeare for years and never been particularly bothered by Macbeth with all-English accents, or a Prince of Denmark that doesn't sound Danish, and so on.

Sure, Bill Murray is incredible, Jim Carrey is great and Adam Sandler did fine in his dramatic roles, but Steve Buscemi and David Arquette??? As for the use of American accents I guess I'm used to war films where the Germans speak German, the Poles speak Polish and so forth. In this film it was sort of confusing to tell if the Jewish prisoners were from Los Angeles or Warsaw.

With Shakespeare it's always been interpretive...no eyewitnesses left to tell us how the original actors spoke their roles.:rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I just caught "Children of Men" and loved it. What an amazing and disturbing piece of cinema. Incredible direction, great acting, and fun allusions to ponder.

I also caught "Little Miss Sunshine," which was a surprise delight. Steve Carell is always great in anything he is in.
Agreed.
I found Children of Men engaging in the style of Gattica and Blade Runner.
Little Miss Sunshine was surprisingly charming.
Good films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay