Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

davestlouis

Practically Family
Watching Battle of Britain right now, Das Boot is on the agenda for this evening. I caught most of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof last evening, I had never seen it before. I think I may try to sit down and watch the whole thing, it looked interesting.

/|\

One of the Regulars
Right now: Dan Akroyd is shooting up Hollywood in 1941.

The movie will end just in time to watch Boardwalk Empire.

Mav

A-List Customer
Hot Tub Time Machine.

Vulgar, profane, disgusting, and of no social value whatsoever.
I laughed my a** off.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I set aside my great aversion to Tom Cruise and watched "Valkyrie". Good flick, very suspenseful,even though I knew the outcome, as I'm sure the actual events were to all that took part in it.
I was really disappointed to hear he was cast as von Stauffenberg. But the movie surprised me. It was interesting to hear Cruise's slurred casual English against Branagh's wonderful diction. I don't think Tom could say "going to" if you paid him.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Edward said:
This afternoon I watched Zombieland - superb film, far exceeded my expectations. Now watching The Dirty Dozen....again. :)

I was very surprised at how much I liked Zombieland, too. And The Dirty Dozen is a classic!

Ox

New in Town
Yakusoku aka The Rendezvous (Saito Koichi, Japan, 1972)

I must say I thought this was rather splendid & for those who value mood & atmosphere at least as much as plot & story, The Rendezvous is guaranteed to satisfy.

To the accompaniment of an instantly memorable score that sounds a little like something Dave Grusin might have conjured up from the same early 70's period, an attractive middle-aged woman (Keiko Kishi, Robert Mitchum's love in The Yakuza) sits on a park bench watching the world go by - children at play, couples arm in arm strolling past. At the end of the film we'll come back to this scene & understand its significance but after this bewitching opening we're on a train journey through snowy, northern Japan. Onboard is the mysterious woman we've just seen in the park. A young man joins the train & tries to engage her in conversation. It transpires that the woman is on the way to visit the grave of her recently deceased mother. Accompanying her is a stern faced older woman whom she enigmatically refers to as 'My guardian.' When two cops bring a handcuffed prisoner onboard & we flashback to a shot of Keiko herself in handcuffs we begin to get a sense of what's going on. But there's more than one offender here & as attraction between the pair begins to grow the stage is set for a tragedy that will take us back to that sad & lonely woman in the park.

This slow burn story won't appeal to the impatient viewer but for those who can cope this moody, consistently engrossing study of two societal outcasts who connect ultimately offers a hefty emotional punch & the pleasure of two terrific performances. Much of the appeal is due to Keiko Kishi's impressive acting as the woman with a secret. Watching a smile flit across her face only to see it replaced almost instantly by one of sadness, to watch the young man (Hagiwara Kenichi, excellent) in his awkward, boyish enthusiasm trying to win her over, or to see her struggle with the offer of escape when the train is halted by a landslide, is remarkably compelling. It's greatly aided by Saito Koichi's direction, a loose limbed new wave-ish approach that utilizes long takes, jump-cuts, hand-held camera & what looks like lots of sequences shot in low/natural light. The snowy locations are also appropriately bleak. Thinking about it afterwards the mood is not unlike Jean-Pierre Melville at his most fatalistic & melancholy. Indeed, the film has a distinctly European vibe. Of special note is the fabulous & oft repeated score by Miagawa Yasushi.

My DVD is a R3 from a HK supplier. It appears to be legit, has very basic English subtitles & a 4:3 frame that appears to have been cropped from the central section of a wider image. I don't know what the OAR of this is although I suspect it was probably 2.35:1. Still, the compositions are tolerable although the train interiors look rather dark although that may be a consequence of the way they were filmed. Nontheless despite its flaws this is perfectly acceptable until something better comes along. It really is the kind of film Criterion or MoC should pick up. No doubt they've been trying. Perhaps it's the inevitable 'rights issues'? At any rate, highly recommended.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Resident Evil: Afterlife

after being an avid 3D hater, this one actually worked. Poul Anderson is back as director and the film has a great look to it.

yes, it is action based mind candy. but it's the first time i didn't find 3D annoying. actually added depth to the visuals without seeming like it was being forced.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BinkieBaumont said:
[YOUTUBE]kj7i88LQ9DE&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Binkie,

This scene is something I and friends have been able to quote to perfection for years. And intriguingly, snippets of this wonderful monologue periodically show up in other movies. So far, I believe, we've come up with 4 occurences of "...and she STEPPED on the ball!" in other films. A friend (a very minor ensemble character) tossed it into the Mission scene in Guys & Dolls last year and just about had me jumping to my feet for a standing ovation.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Kiri said:
"It Happened One Night" with Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable. It was fantastic! First time I'd seen it. :)

that's another movie, along with 'Casablanca', that i can't -not- watch regardless of where in the story it is when i find it on tv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum