Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Millers Crossing" is a GREAT Coen Bros film I watched for yet another time last night. "The Buddy Holly Story" is always a safe bet, too...

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It's even more interesting to read about all of the references and sight them out.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Just wrapped up this crackling little crime comedy adapted from a play by S.J. Perelman. No it's not peppered with 35c words like "bruited" and "yclept", just a snappy and ever-so-slightly absurd yarn of 3 crooks who buy out a luggage shop and go into "business" as a front for tunneling into the vault of the bank next door. Trouble is, it's Christmastime, and everybody wants to buy luggage. Edward G. Robinson is at his fast-talking best, with big Broderick Crawford and little Eddie Brophy as his plug-uglies, Anthony Quinn as a hood who gets wise to the plan, Jane Wyman as love interest and Jackie Gleason as a lunch counter man. A fun pic that ought to be better known.
I'm glad to see someone else saw it, Fletch. It's one of my entries in the Christmas movie thread. IMy brother and I saw it on the big screen at the George Eastman House theatre when we were youngsters and I've never forgotten it. Please tell me, was it on cable or video?
Ashley

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
WHich references???

King Kong, Lost Horizon, the Fleischer Superman cartoons, and so on. See the Wiki page on the film for a nice list.

ADDED: Belay that! I just checked, and the list isn't on the Wiki page any more. I wonder why?

ortega76

Practically Family
I watched 3 Days of the Condor last night on TCM. I must admit, I don't watch much from the late 60's or 70's. As a fan of the modern "techno-thriller" genre, I had to enjoy this movie.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
I'm glad to see someone else saw it, Fletch. It's one of my entries in the Christmas movie thread. IMy brother and I saw it on the big screen at the George Eastman House theatre when we were youngsters and I've never forgotten it. Please tell me, was it on cable or video?
Ashley
TCM. I first saw it there 2-3 years ago.

CrackUp.jpg

Today I saw most all of Crack-Up (1946), with Pat O'Brien as an art expert harassed by a forgery ring who may be messing with his mind. Strange casting - I think it might have been Pat's only noir vehicle - all the other museum folk are purring and suave and here he is with his big Irish mug and side-of-the-mouth delivery, and Claire Trevor for a gal pal. He played it all pretty dry, tho, which is good.

The plot holds your attention, with some nice twists, and the pic is full of neat touches and asides. Herbert Marshall, as a Scotland Yard detective, even gets in a comment about Americans' ambivalent attitude towards police, which wouldn't have made it past the cutting room just a few years earlier or later.

O'Brien has the best line in the pic: "This thing under my coat may be Dürer's Adoration of the Kings." lol

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
An unexpected treat I caught early this morning was Kubrick's debut film Killer's Kiss (1955). There were scenes I swear Scorsese must have stolen when he made Raging Bull.

I love all the location photography in this movie... the rooftops and streets and train station. I like it almost as much as I like the Killers and like the Killers more than any of his other movies.

killerskiss1.jpg

649.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
King Kong, Lost Horizon, the Fleischer Superman cartoons, and so on. See the Wiki page on the film for a nice list.

ADDED: Belay that! I just checked, and the list isn't on the Wiki page any more. I wonder why?

There's a site called, I think, TheFlyingLegion.com or something and it has a list of references and trivia and other fan-type stuff.

pgoat

One Too Many
Killer's Kiss looks cool, must check that one out.....

Just watched the newly redone Song Remains the Same dvd. Some interesting little tweaks - LOTSA echo added to the vocals, John Bonham's kick drum and snare have been put on steroids and nearly drown everything else out - as if he needed any help! - and various guitar flubs have been replaced with perfectly smooth played punch-ins...still, Jimmy Page appears to be doing a bang up job for children's charities in Brazil, so he gets a free pass in my book!:) I've been waiting 32 years to see the band perform Celebration Day, so I was happy enough afterwards....:) :) :)

Just turned Sisters off after about 15 minutes......as usual, Brian DePalma = over the top blood, etc. Just not my cup o' tea. I was also surprised at the shameless Bernard Hermann score which was essentially Psycho and Vertigo music slapped into a blender and poured out in a bloody heaving mess...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I saw that awhile ago Paddy and liked it as well.

Currently halfway through watching the German film "Goodbye Lenin", enjoying it too.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
Fast Food Nation (2006) last night. Whoaaaa! There's some scenes in there some may not have the stomach to watch.:eek:

I really wish they had made that into a documentary instead of a fictional drama.

Waisted opportunity.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW